What's your style? (Which martial arts do you study?)

Chinatown Kid

Guest Anonymous

Big Will, I trained in Judo and some kind of Japanese JJ at a dojo before by an 8th dan kodokan american guy. I really dont know the differences of the many Japanese JJ styles/ But that sounds great. Wish they would make more Japanese martial arts movies with tons of fights. Would be cool to see a Japanese JJ movie.

Hei Meigui, yes Tai Chi counts. How is it going for you? Are you learning the combat applications?

Secret Executioner, what Kung Fu manuals are they? How old are they? Also which nunchaku book are you using? Is it okinawan?

BiggWill1988

I like Judo but dont like doing the Judo throws because Im tall and most of my class is short so i gotta bend down ridicolouslly low to get my hips under there belt to get to where i have to be. I'm 6'2 236 lbs (18% body fat) and everyone in my class is 5'9 and lower. As for Japanese Jiu-Jitsu i like the takedowns, locks, holds, pins, armbars, close range combat, and strikes. In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu which i know a little bit of i like the floor grappling part of that. Yea i would love more Japanese kung fu movies.The only Japanese movies i can think of off the top f my head are the lone wolf and cub movies and the Zatoichi movies.

I'm a boxer and plan to turn professional soon. I had a pretty successful amateur career oven the amount of fights I had.

It's a lock I will wear my sleeveless Chang Shan Shaolin vs Lama shirt on my pro debut. (It's actually the reason I bought the shirt, but sustained an injury and had to put the debut on hold for a bit)

Guest Anonymous
I like Judo but dont like doing the Judo throws because Im tall and most of my class is short so i gotta bend down ridicolouslly low to get my hips under there belt to get to where i have to be. I'm 6'2 236 lbs (18% body fat) and everyone in my class is 5'9 and lower. As for Japanese Jiu-Jitsu i like the takedowns, locks, holds, pins, armbars, close range combat, and strikes. In Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu which i know a little bit of i like the floor grappling part of that. Yea i would love more Japanese kung fu movies.The only Japanese movies i can think of off the top f my head are the lone wolf and cub movies and the Zatoichi movies.

Ya and Sonny Chiba movies.

I did some BJJ as well for a bit. It has very important techniques.

Every notice how Donnie Yen incorporates BJJ an MMA stuff in his movies now? its funny. Its cool!

Guest Anonymous
I'm a boxer and plan to turn professional soon. I had a pretty successful amateur career oven the amount of fights I had.

It's a lock I will wear my sleeveless Chang Shan Shaolin vs Lama shirt on my pro debut. (It's actually the reason I bought the shirt, but sustained an injury and had to put the debut on hold for a bit)

Really? That is great. I did boxing at a legit gym for 2 months and learned the funamentals. I use Taekwondo and boxing too and mix it up.

Boxing is a tough sport and it hurts. Do you do any kung fu type moves when you box like some weird block or anything?

Good luck! I hope you are healed.

Secret Executioner

Good luck for your entry on the professional circuit. Hope it works alright.

Really? That is great. I did boxing at a legit gym for 2 months and learned the funamentals. I use Taekwondo and boxing too and mix it up.

Boxing is a tough sport and it hurts. Do you do any kung fu type moves when you box like some weird block or anything?

Unfortunately I don't do anything like that, it probably wouldn't serve any purpose outside of showboating, haha. It would be cool to find a useful way to incorporate such a thing.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I had two surgeries and think I'll be good to go from now on, but only time will tell.

DragonClaws

Unfortunately I don't do anything like that, it probably wouldn't serve any purpose outside of showboating, haha. It would be cool to find a useful way to incorporate such a thing.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I had two surgeries and think I'll be good to go from now on, but only time will tell.

Good luck with the recovery and nice to see you on the forum Paimeifist. For Christmas I got my dad a film about a Welsh boxer who had a huge set back in his career. The guy hurt his right hand at work and he had to completely change his style and fight his way back up the ranks. I'll have to get the name of the guy from my old man next time I talk to him. Its a really inspirational story.

Is it Joe Calzaghe? If so, he's great and under rated. One if my favorite fighters of recent times. There was a good doc on him called "Undefeated" I believe.

DragonClaws
Is it Joe Calzaghe? If so, he's great and under rated. One if my favorite fighters of recent times. There was a good doc on him called "Undefeated" I believe.

No this guy was from a different era than Calzaghe and he was doing really well befor he bust his hand. He made a full recovery and fought his way back using a different style due to his injury. I'll PM you when I get his name and the film that portrays his life story.

GOLDEN DRAGON Y-Y
Does Tai Chi count? I just started taking it.

Yes Tai Chi counts.

Tai Chi Chuan means:

SUPREME ULTIMATE FIST

That says 'IT' all.

I knew a Tai Chi Master who could rip chunks of bark off of oak trees in the Boston Common.

His hand moved as fast as light then with a loud HA one heard a sound like a lightning bolt hit the tree bark, then he stood there with his hand filled with a chunk of that tree bark which he casually tossed away.

I always will regret not picking up that chunk as a memento.

I saw him do this twice.

Now you understand why Tai Chi reveals the Supreme Ultimate.

I too practice a form of Tai Chi since 1985.

GD Y-Y

DragonClaws

Bolo Yeung also practiced the art of Tai Chi and you can often see the influence on his film fighting style.

Guest Anonymous

I tried in sparring before and did a palm block downward double hands like a Pa-pa fast blocking bruce lee style and it did deflect their arm down. But I thin the coach was upset at it and thought it was stupid. Also old old old boxing manuals show movements almost exactly like Karate. Certain blocks and ways of punching. Its very interesting.

The only thing as good as watching a martial movie or techinque is being able to learn or do the style that your watching.As I mentioned before on a different post,I studied 7 star northern praying mantis under Sifu Raul Ortiz during my teenage years and retained a degree of skill since those formative years.I can honestly say that what I've  learned served me well mentally,physically,and spiritually.Also those were some of the best moments in my life.

• Like 1

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Does Tai Chi count? I just started taking it.

Say of course Tai Chi counts:

Tai Chi Chuan or Supreme Ultimate Fist is one of the 4 most notable Chinese internal martial arts:

1. Tai Chi Chaun:

tai-chi-exercises-24-forms-chart.thumb.j

2. Hsing YI:

Xingyiquan-pt2-4.thumb.jpg.805a182e68d1f

3. Baqua or Pagua:

ed684d875e408a29b73ba24f2d2670a0.thumb.j

4. Liu Ho Ba Fa:

dvd12047.thumb.jpg.4f637075fdbe95b1cb2a3

Cliff Lok doing Liu Ho Ba Fa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBBh1TOku7g

Cliff was in the same opera school as the 7 little treasures. 

His dad took him out of the opera school because of the

cruel nature of the teacher and hence forth he began studying Liu Ho Ba Fa.

Liu Ho Ba Fa is the most difficult IMO of the four to learn.

Here is the history of this art which was the last Chinese internal arts to reach the west.

http://www.liuhopafa.com/

GD Y-Y

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
  • Like 2

I studied Goju-Ryu for two years (7th and 8th grade) and made it to a green belt (first stripe). I also did a little wrestling in high school. When I have both the time and Money, I would like to study a Chinese martial art.

• Like 1

Just question, I know many here are inspire by Shaw Brothers film, but how many of you do Kung Fu? and what style. please share

I have been doing hung ga, pak mei and ba gua for over 30 years.

• Like 1

Thank you gentlemen , I am new here, and didnt see it. just reach out. and trying share common ground and brotherhood. much respect and love. Happy New Year to all

• Like 1