Favorite actor with Wushu backround

kokuryuha

It's no surprise that some of the best onscreen fighters of the jade screen have a wushu backround whether male or female.They have used their atheleticsm to an effect becoming martial arts actors/actresses.Who do you favor or prefer the most?

Me personally,I like Zhao Wen Zhuo and Donnie Yen.They have shown a diverse and high skill set as well as added growth to their martial artistry.Another honorable mention would  be Wu Jing and the underrated Fan Siu Wong.Each of these individuals have an impressive filmography and an equally impressive martial foundation and backround.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has to be Jet Li for me, slightly in front of Donnie. I'm a big fan of Wu Jing too. Apart from Blacksheep Affair which I enjoyed i've not seen Zhao Wen Zhuo (Chiu Man-cheuk) in much and I always felt that he never became as big a star as we all hoped he would.

Definitely Jet Li and Wu Jing. I had hopes for Vincent Zhao but he just seemed to lack that same charisma Jet brought to the table, but I did enjoy what he has brought to the table. Louis Fan as well has some good skills. Even though she appeared in one film, Angie Tsang made the most of her role in Iron Monkey. 

Are we saying strictly wushu or any legit kung fu skills? Did Donnie Yen train wushu coming up?

I'd throw in my hat for Andy Lau, who has been training wing chun for the last several years to play in Grandmaster and, from what I understand, has become a devotee to the art.

Also gotta love Jackie.

The obvious choice for me would have to be Bruce Lee (since Wushu literally translates to "Martial Arts") to be honest. Aside from others like Jackie, Sammo, Jet, Donnie, Yuen Biao, Wu Jing etc.

For me it would have to be Jet Li but only for his three shaolin temple movies after those movies whenever he did a traditional Kung fu movie( once upon a time in China,new legend of shaolin,fong sai yuk etc)they would be wire driven movies and  he was doubled al lot and I hated that,but the shaolin temple movies were quality viewing and all the performers were skilled wu shu exponents.Also shout out to Wu Jing And Donnie Yen both skilled wu shu men but like I said I hate wire fu and they use it too much.

Are we saying strictly wushu or any legit kung fu skills? Did Donnie Yen train wushu coming up?

I'd throw in my hat for Andy Lau, who has been training wing chun for the last several years to play in Grandmaster and, from what I understand, has become a devotee to the art.

Also gotta love Jackie.

Just so you know,Andy Lau wasn't part of the cast in The grandmaster.The actor who you are referring to is Tony Leung Chiu Wai.And for future posts,I was specifically speaking of actors involved with the sport Wushu and not the general meaning translated to martial arts as most of us already know.

The obvious choice for me would have to be Bruce Lee (since Wushu literally translates to "Martial Arts") to be honest. Aside from others like Jackie, Sammo, Jet, Donnie, Yuen Biao, Wu Jing etc.

Well, when talking about Mainland Wushu, I'd say Jet Li is my favorite, although Donnie Yen has given far more consistently awesome performances. But then again, Donnie is much like Bruce Lee in that he hardly represents wushu as a whole, since he mixes MMA, wing chun, tae kwon do, and God-knows-what-else into his cinematic fighting style. I really like Vincent Zhao Wen-Zhuo, but I think that he hasn't been given enough showcase films. The Blacksheep Affair and True Legend were great displays for his varied skills, but his other movies not so much.

One Armed Boxer

It'd be an outrage to let this thread go on any further without mentioning Yu Cheng-Hui.  The villain from all three of the 'Shaolin Temple' movies, before getting his own one-man show with 'Yellow River Fighter', this guys Drunken Sword skills are off the charts.  He won a couple of wushu championships during the years he was active, and when watching any one of his movies it's easy to see why, a true master.

tumblr_nr66yprsbD1rdsiguo1_500.jpg

Just so you know,Andy Lau wasn't part of the cast in The grandmaster.The actor who you are referring to is Tony Leung Chiu Wai.And for future posts,I was specifically speaking of actors involved with the sport Wushu and not the general meaning translated to martial arts as most of us already know.

Guess than I'll pick Tiger Chen :tongueout

man-of-tai-chi.jpg

Archived