Bruce Lee's The Big Boss (Appreciation Thread)

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

Killer Meteor

The Peter Thomas score is very quirky but I love it. The Wang Fu Liang score is probably the best but it's rather underwhelming - mostly historical epic style cues more suited to a Wu Xia period film.

The Cantonese version has some great moments but that annoying "baby" theme that plays whenever Bruce looks at his locket gets really old fast.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

I wonder if any footage shot prior to Lo Wei getting involved in the film appears in the final cut? Maybe we can blame the hooker getting stabbed with a knife handle on Wu Chia-Hsiang?

Edited by Killer Meteor
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

I wonder if any footage shot prior to Lo Wei getting involved in the film appears in the final cut? Maybe we can blame the hooker getting stabbed with a knife handle on Wu Chia-Hsiang?

I suspect some of the early James Tien/Bruce Lee scene were filmed by him?. Even in the current version, the BL character feels like supporting one for the first half hour.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Killer Meteor

Matthew Polly's book suggests Lo Wei filmed the early fight scenes to determine which who would be the star - so when he took over from Wu, it still wasn't a given that Bruce would be the star.

Poor James Tien - all those awful trampoline shots of him feel like someone left them in to show him up against Bruce!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Matthew Polly's book suggests Lo Wei filmed the early fight scenes to determine which who would be the star - so when he took over from Wu, it still wasn't a given that Bruce would be the star.

I'm going to start reading Mattew Polly's book asap, still among my to read pile.

Poor James Tien - all those awful trampoline shots of him feel like someone left them in to show him up against Bruce!

I would have thought Lo Wei could see the differencebetwen the two anyway?. I'd take Polly word on this, he's done more research than me on the subject than me.

I don't think anyone was going out of ther way to make Tien look bad. He made the transition to the shapes style very nicely, and is often underated in this area. Bruce Lee was impressed enugh, to want to hire him for G.O.D. A project which would have meant more to him than any other movie pre ETD.

• Like 1

Killer Meteor

Was it National General who prepared the second English dub and music (the one seen in the US and UK) or was it done prior to them aquiring it? Given that composer Peter Thomas is German, maybe it was done in Europe?

I wonder which score was on German and French versions - Wang Fu Liang or Peter Thomas?

• Like 2

On 8/12/2019 at 7:47 AM, Killer Meteor said:

The Cantonese version has some great moments but that annoying "baby" theme that plays whenever Bruce looks at his locket gets really old fast.

I actually like it.

The most annoying thing is the war cry every time he breathes.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor

Oh yeah, that was too much!

I really like the piano tune in the brothel scene, it later turned up in John Woo's Heroes Shed No Tears.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Killer Meteor said:

Was it National General who prepared the second English dub and music (the one seen in the US and UK) or was it done prior to them aquiring it? Given that composer Peter Thomas is German, maybe it was done in Europe?

I wonder which score was on German and French versions - Wang Fu Liang or Peter Thomas?

My guess would be this: for the international market, Golden Harvest re-edited the film not long after the original Hong Kong premiere. Some early versions (on older media; some with local edits - e.g. Rene Château VHS in French; South African print in English) were based on this, as evidenced by music, effects, and the presence of some footage missing in the National General Pictures' one. NGP were similarly given elements, but decided to re-voice the cast (all that remains are some yells and groaning), change the music (completely), alter the effects slightly (adding a delay?), and edit it down (perhaps for improvement and to achieve a lower rating but also due to damage?).

It needs a little tidy, but there's some information at IMDb.

Edited by chen lung
  • Like 2

Killer Meteor
21 hours ago, chen lung said:

My guess would be this: for the international market, Golden Harvest re-edited the film not long after the original Hong Kong premiere. Some early versions (on older media; some with local edits - e.g. Rene Château VHS in French; South African print in English) were based on this, as evidenced by music, effects, and the presence of some footage missing in the National General Pictures' one. NGP were similarly given elements, but decided to re-voice the cast (all that remains are some yells and groaning), change the music (completely), alter the effects slightly (adding a delay?), and edit it down (perhaps for improvement and to achieve a lower rating but also due to damage?).

It needs a little tidy, but there's some information at IMDb.

On the HKL English track, there is a slight echo on the sound effects, the delay of which you speak, but the volume levels are consistent. On the English track that is on the old Fox DVD (itself derived from the CBS Fox laserdisc), and the Shout! Factory BDs, the sound FX from the HK audio (yells and punch) play in the first half of the film at a significantly lower volume level than the dialogue and music, only correcting itself about the time of Bruce's first fight.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 10:17 PM, Killer Meteor said:

On the HKL English track, there is a slight echo on the sound effects, the delay of which you speak, but the volume levels are consistent. On the English track that is on the old Fox DVD (itself derived from the CBS Fox laserdisc), and the Shout! Factory BDs, the sound FX from the HK audio (yells and punch) play in the first half of the film at a significantly lower volume level than the dialogue and music, only correcting itself about the time of Bruce's first fight.

@Killer Meteor You really know your stuff in regards to the Big Boss soundtrack's and the many variation's. The only version's I've owned are the Rank VHS, HKL HD DVD, and the MediumRare Blu-Ray.

Which release of the film would be your favourite?.

• Like 1

The last Shout! release is the best for having the Mandarin mono track and good picture.

If I'm not mistaken, the MediumRare prints were sourced from the Shout releases?.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 9:50 AM, Fist of the Heavenly Sky said:

This is what actual sadness is like.

Except on youtube, I wonder where it's possible to find this Mandarin version of the song...

I would love to find it, as well as the Mandarin version of the song sung at the end of Fist of fury...

• Like 2

I have the HK universe dvd of The Big Boss and its a completely different dub that I never hear anyone talk about. It has the Cantonese re-release music but a different voice artist for Bruce and doesn’t have the added-in real Bruce war cries from other films but has some very different war cries. Same with the Mandarin audio on this dvd. I prefer this soundtrack and would like to know if it’s available on any blu ray release? Help and info would be much appreciated.

• Like 2