Bruce Lee's The Big Boss (Appreciation Thread)

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

Hsu Chien(James Tient) spots his co-worker's distraught wife, outside the Pak Chong gambling den.

TheBigBoss8.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

The Big Boss premiered at midnight in October 1971 and took 3.2 million Hong Kong dollars in 19 days.  It smashed the previous record holder, 'The Sound of Music' by over HK$700,000.

This short newspaper aticle, suggest that BL, was to go back to America, to work on the Silent Flute script, after copeting TBB?. Didnt BL, James Coburn and Sterling Silliphant, abandon that project before he left for Hong Kong?.

Source- https://sites.google.com/site/wayoflegacy/bruce-lee-biography

hktvb_03_sep_71.jpg

hktvb_03_sep_71_2-1.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

MV5BODYzZjIyNGUtNmM2Zi00OGViLWIwYjktZDZl

Lam Ching-Ying, in th red open shirt, second from the right.

Question 3 : You worked closely with Bruce Lee as an actor and choreographer. Can you recall the first time you met him? Lam Ching Ying: It was on the shooting of Big Boss. Bruce Lee was a very rightous person and very tough. I remember one day a Thai boxer broke the arm of a stuntman. Bruce became very angry and furious. He went up to the boxer and asked him to fight with him. He ran up to him and asked: "Are you really strong to fight with me? You should control yourself and stop before making trouble. Can't you see we are in a process of shooting? How could you break his arm, have you no mercy?" Lee really persuaded to fight with this Thai Boxer.

There's a complete English translation of this interview, on the video's YouTube page. This is by no means a themed BL interview, but more of a general one, about Lam Ching-Yings career.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, shukocarl said:

That's Fist of Fury in Italian not The Big Boss.

Thanks for that, I just saw the cast and Director, and guessed it was TBB.

Have you heard of this release before @shukocarl?

43 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

3 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks for that, I just saw the cast and Director, and guessed it was TBB.

Have you heard of this release before @shukocarl?

Yes I do remember it coming out. It was quite expensive and by all accounts VERY shoddy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shukocarl said:

Yes I do remember it coming out. It was quite expensive and by all accounts VERY shoddy.

I'd never heard or seen that release before, just looks so random ad cheaply made.

One of the strangest Big Boss bootleg cover's I've ever seen, we have one promotional shot from the making of the film. Then a public domian shot from ETD, on the cover, along with some images from FOF, did the AsianCineamDrifter site even exist?. A search for the site came up emtpy.

max1377008494-front-cover.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

The original U.S title for the The Big Boss(1971), which somehow got mixed up with the U.S Fist of Fury(1972) title Fists of Fury.

This bootleg VHS release, is most likely for Fist of Fury?, despite the use of an image from The Big Boss, pasted on the cover.

il_570xN.773958642_kraq.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

Here's a better version, of one of the image's from my last post in this thread.

Was this still taken at Golden Harvest studio, during filming of pick-up shots for TBB?.

BL2399.jpg

BL2398.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2