Bruce Lee's The Big Boss (Appreciation Thread)

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

On 10/29/2021 at 2:44 PM, ShawAngela said:

Questions :

1) Are there any proofs that this soundtrack belongs to The Big Boss ?

2) Where in the movie is it supposed to take place ? One can hear night sounds during the music...Maybe at the factory before or after the fight ? Or when Bruce returns at home after the fight ? Or when he discovers his friends corpses  ?

3) Who is the composer ? Wang Fu Liang, Joseph Koo or Peter Thomas ? I would say this latter, but I'm not familiar enough with his music to be sure.

I wish I could help you with this one @ShawAngela, but I don't know enough about the score to answer those questions.

As I said a few minutes ago in another post, I rewatched my French dvd of The Big Boss this evening, and, as I thought, there isn't any blood splash on the screen when Bruce Lee uses the saw in the head, and it's not even shown that he takes the saw, while in the German blu ray, one can see him take the saw and do the movement towards the head of his opponent, and then, the big blood splash...

I wonder how many releases one must own in order to see the most uncut version of this movie...

The boxset containing my French dvd of Big Boss also contains a booklet talking about Bruce Lee, his life, his philsophy, his movies and his clones.

It's mentioned that James Tien was originally the hero of the movie and that Bruce Lee was only meant to be his supporting guy, when it was Wu Chia Hsiang who directed the movie. But then, this latter was fired and it was Lo Wei who became the director, and Bruce Lee wanted to be the star of the movie, hence, the eviction of James Tien in the story, I guess.

And this could explain the picture earlier posted by @Cognoscente, in which one can see James Tien jumping and kicking Han Ying Chieh in the head instead of Bruce Lee.

Also, it's mentioned in my booklet that Big Boss was shot in Mandarin, and that the only movie in which Bruce Lee's real voice can be heard is Enter the dragon.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

It's mentioned that James Tien was originally the hero of the movie and that Bruce Lee was only meant to be his supporting guy, when it was Wu Chia Hsiang who directed the movie. But then, this latter was fired and it was Lo Wei who became the director, and Bruce Lee wanted to be the star of the movie, hence, the eviction of James Tien in the story, I guess.

And this could explain the picture earlier posted by @Cognoscente, in which one can see James Tien jumping and kicking Han Ying Chieh in the head instead of Bruce Lee.

If James was meant to be the hero of the movie then that would mean Bruce's character was the one who was meant to die during that trip with Billy Chan to see the boss. I often wonder if they filmed that scene and realized that Bruce was a better fighter and did reshoots, especially since otherwise we're led to believe that the first scene he filmed where he showed his potential was the worker rebellion fight after Tien's character is killed.

The below is taken from Matthew Polly's book...

Before he had a chance to win over his colleagues, Bruce had to deal with the director, Wu Chia-Hsiang, who had already been filming James Tien’s scenes for a week. Wanting to see what all the fuss and money was about, Wu Chia-Hsiang threw him into a fight scene against the Big Boss’s underlings. Director Wu wanted Bruce to engage in extended routines of punches, blocks, kicks, sweeps, locks, throws, and acrobatic flips. When facing three opponents, Bruce wanted to crescent kick one to the head, spinning hook kick another, and roundhouse kick the third with each kick a knockout blow - a whirling dervish of destruction. Director Wu was aghast. Chinese audiences expected long, elaborate fight scenes; they didn’t want realism. He believed Bruce was a con man - he only knew three kicks!

Bruce, who came up in the Hollywood star system of Steve McQueen, told Director Wu he would direct his own fight scenes. At an impasse, they both called Raymond Chow in Hong Kong. “This director is rubbish,” Bruce said. “When I fight these underlings, I should get rid of them with three kicks. If it takes a long time to dispatch these peons, then what should I do when I meet the head villain? I’ll have to fight him for a whole hour.” “You’ve been swindled,” Director Wu complained to Chow. “You told me this guy was very good, but he can’t fight. All he knows are three kicks. I call him Three Leg Lee."

Before deciding whom to fire, Chow watched the daily rushes. He saw in Bruce’s moves the expertise that Director Wu had missed. “Actually, his three legs were astonishing, very good,” Chow says. Raymond called the on-set producer, Liu Liang Hwa (Gladys) - the same woman who had recruited Bruce in L.A. and was the wife of director Lo Wei - to ask her advice. Gladys told Raymond that Director Wu was an ill-tempered man who had alienated most of the crew. She had a self-interested suggestion for how to solve the crisis. Her husband had recently finished filming a movie for Golden Harvest in Taiwan. Why not bring Lo Wei to Thailand to replace Director Wu? Chow agreed.

Later on...

Faced with a defiant actor, director Lo Wei wasn’t sure what to do. He couldn’t fire him. His only recourse was to leverage the competition between Bruce and James Tien over who would end up the star of the movie. When Bruce had insisted on being part of a movie that already had a lead, Raymond Chow realized he had a backup plan if Bruce lacked the charisma to carry the movie. “This was the subtlety of it,” says Andre Morgan. “If you look at the movie carefully, you will see the movie starts out with two stars, because they wanted to screen-test Bruce, see if he was real or not. Then halfway through, they made a decision - Who to kill, and who to keep alive?” Before the decision was made, Lo Wei was able to play them off each other.

Early on Lo Wei fought with Bruce over the exaggerated Cantonese Opera pantomime techniques that Bruce loathed. “Lee would fight for three or four scenes. I told him to do this and that. Told him how he needed to fight. He wasn’t willing to fight anymore,” Lo Wei recalls. “The next day we really needed to film him fighting. Lee’s few moves weren’t going to cut it! But then I had an idea. When I arrived on set in the morning, I told Lee to take a seat next to me, and rest. Then, I called James Tien in. I decided to film him fighting instead of Lee. I had Tien jumping on the trampoline, doing falls, and doing flips for the camera. Lee sat next to me all morning. He thought it wasn’t right. Tien was fighting too much. Lee probably thought that Tien would replace him as the star of the film. So after that day, Lee was a bit more cooperative, a bit more willing to fight for the camera.”

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saltysam said:

pre-order in May. 200 copies only.

bigbossstunt.jpg

What is it ? Just the stuntman talking about the movie, or the movie itself is included on the blu ray together with the stuntman's comments ?

• Like 3

Coliseum1972

Wish these people would do cons , it might be the only way to get their autographs......lets face it , these people not getting any younger

• Like 2

Popjusa30

yes  steve kerridge product now is very very expensive 69livre for the bluray and the book 40pages 69 livres not for mee 

• Like 1

Cognoscente
8 hours ago, saltysam said:

£69? That's a Yin-Yang price. While it's cute that it's reminiscent of Bruce's Concord logo, it's only worth paying if it contains deleted footage like Bruce performing soixante-neuf with a hooker.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I just rewatched it, and it truly is a good movie, I'll review it for my blog for mid-october, but there's not much that can be said that hasn't already been said. It had been so long since I saw it that I was surprised by how good the plot and points were. 

• Like 6

Probably the best writing for any of Bruce's movies.  It speaks volumes that his first real fight doesn't happen until halfway through.  I know I harp on this sort of thing a lot, but this is a perfect example of a kung fu movie plot that is so much bigger and better than "excuse for kicking".  You've got the protagonist's oath of pacifism.  A whole lot of material about the abuse of laborers and the corruption of unionization going on.  And that wonderful pause for introspection at the river.  Cheng Chao-an develops and changes, for both better and worse.  The characters - at least the ones who get a lot of screen time - feel like people.  Brutal, sentimental, meaningful.  Love it.

• Like 8