Bruce Lee's The Big Boss (Appreciation Thread)

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

On 12/2/2019 at 9:56 PM, DragonClaws said:

I just finished to watch AGAIN The Big Boss, that I finally decided to buy as the Platinum 2 dvds  Edition and I noticed that the opening credits were different than the ones shown here.

First, the Golden Harvest logo is the old one with the "G" in red and the gong music.

In addition to that, the music is totally different from the one that can be heard in this clip ! And I didn't recognized the music from this guy Peter Thomas ! And it was mentioned as a Wang Fu Liang's music, but not the same as I had heard in my previous watching of this movie (the HKVideo release),so, I'm a little bit confused...

• Like 2

Questions

1) Is it Bruce's real voice that can be heard in the Cantonese version of the movie ? And what about the English version?

2) Is there a Mandarin version of this movie, and is it Bruce's real voice ?

3) By the way, was Bruce Lee a Mandarin speaker or only a Cantonese one ?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Questions

1) Is it Bruce's real voice that can be heard in the Cantonese version of the movie ? And what about the English version?

2) Is there a Mandarin version of this movie, and is it Bruce's real voice ?

3) By the way, was Bruce Lee a Mandarin speaker or only a Cantonese one ?

I don't believe Bruce's voice is on either cantonese or mandarin version.

Mandarin audio is available on the UK blu ray releases.,

• Like 2

Is the 30th October 1971 the actual correct release date for the Big Boss in Hong Kong? Wikipedia has it listed as the 3rd October while most sources hasn’t down as the 30tb.

• Like 2

Killer Meteor
On 1/5/2020 at 2:00 PM, saltysam said:

I don't believe Bruce's voice is on either cantonese or mandarin version.

Mandarin audio is available on the UK blu ray releases.,

Bruce never voiced himself for the Chinese versions of the films. He can be heard dubbing the English lines for Bob Baker in the Chinese dubs of Fist of Fury, and in Way of the Dragon dubs random lines (he shares dubbing of the Mafia Boss with Ted Thomas).

The Cantonese dubs for the Bruce Lee films were not done until a good few years after he died.

• Like 4

DragonClaws

Looking back over our prior research on BL: MS, I thought i would share an interesting discovery we made in regards Lee's filming in HONG KONG for the Big Boss following the location shoot in Thailand. Those who were lucky enough to have got a copy of BL: MS will recall our chapter on this as Lee proceeded to film at WADER Studio in HK,(SEE ATTACHED EXCERPT FROM BS:MS) but also the outdoor shoot where Lee filmed additional scenes of his fight scene with Han Yang Chieh, we had discovered were filmed at the ROYAL HONG KONG GOLF CLUB, and in particular the EDEN Course at the establishment. Here is a comparison photo of the location with a photo of Lee and how it also looked a few years back. - Steve Kerridge

Source- https://www.facebook.com/groups/985430954806787/

92133324_10158220160331197_5050026029855277056_o.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=07e735&_nc_ohc=Tqifv1FfSl8AX-kYMWX&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&_nc_tp=7&oh=0b0085f2eeffed94f7826cd3c8ec50ca&oe=5EB2824E

• Like 2

Was the "burning cart" scene ever surfaced to vhs or dvd? I think Big Boss is Lees finest film but not so well knowledgeable of "missing" footage....

• Like 2

The Immortal Craft is our new column in which we celebrate the epic lives that shaped cinema. They may no longer travel on our plane of reality, but they continue to impact the world with the art they left behind. Here is our opportunity to thank Bruce Lee for radically altering the energy of action in The Big Boss.

Bruce Lee Channeled His Rage into 'The Big Boss'

: After years of Hollywood rejection, Bruce Lee made himself in Hong Kong and revolutionized an industry in the process.

Link- https://filmschoolrejects.com/bruce-lee-the-big-boss/

image source- https://posterspy.com/posters/the-big-boss/

3652271C-EBD9-485E-B07C-6C8B31CAD6BB-1500x2023.jpeg

• Like 3

Bruce Lee‘s very first epic The Big Boss (aka The Fists of Fury) is the film that skyrocketed his career. It was premiered in Hong Kong in 1971; its international success, however, did not begin until 1973. Convinced that the original Chinese score would be a far cry from European conventions and thus way to oriental for sensible ears of Westerners, the German film distributor hired Peter Thomas to compose an entirely new soundtrack. And thus, history was made: From then on, with the exception of China, it was this new soundtrack that scored the film worldwide, becoming the „proper“ music of The Big Boss in no time. A lot has happened since this very special soundtrack was released for the first time back in 2010. Consequently, an improved re-release was long overdue. Thorough forays into the depth of Peter Thomas‘ archives unearthed four long lost tracks and one longer version of one of the film’s pivotal compositions. Both replace the former edition’s bonus tracks that once were originally created for the movie but never made it onto the actual score. Tragically , in the midst of production, Peter Thomas passed away on May 17th, 2020 in Lugano, Switzerland, aged 94. This album is dedicated to him as well as to the memory of Bruce Lee who would have turned 80 on November 27th, 2020.

Peter Thomas Sound Orchester – Bruce Lee: The Big Boss (Special Edition)

Link- ttps://www.allscore.de/shop/en/produkt/peter-thomas-sound-orchester-bruce-lee-the-big-boss/

ASM048_1200x1200.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

gwailosforever

I have some rare 1970's UK newspaper cuttings for The Big Boss listed on eBay. These are probably the rarest item I have in my collection. I've already posted this in the wanted section so I apologize if it's inappropriate to post it again here. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143977891220 SOLD

Edited by gwailosforever
  • Like 2

Cognoscente

Going by the short length of the trouser leg and the size of the hair, it looks like James Tien is doing a jump kick at Han Ying-Chieh in this Japanese program about the film.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 2

DragonClaws
11 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

Going by the short length of the trouser leg and the size of the hair, it looks like James Tien is doing a jump kick at Han Ying-Chieh in this Japanese program about the film.

The more common version crops out Han Ying-Chieh, it appears on a few old lobby cards. Were the pair working on choreography for the scene where James Tien character fights Mi's men?.

• Like 1

Cognoscente

Maybe but it could also have been an alternate version of the finale in which Tien's character was originally going to fight the villain before Bruce joined the production.

In Tien's final scene, the only trampoline kick that he does is when he uses both feet to hit two men after his friend is killed.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, Cognoscente said:

In Tien's final scene, the only trampoline kick that he does is when he uses both feet to hit two men after his friend is killed.

It might be a picture of a rehearsal for this sequence?.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Questions :

1) Are there any proofs that this soundtrack belongs to The Big Boss ?

2) Where in the movie is it supposed to take place ? One can hear night sounds during the music...Maybe at the factory before or after the fight ? Or when Bruce returns at home after the fight ? Or when he discovers his friends corpses  ?

3) Who is the composer ? Wang Fu Liang, Joseph Koo or Peter Thomas ? I would say this latter, but I'm not familiar enough with his music to be sure.

• Like 2

sifu iron perm

Not to derail this thread on big boss, but where can we get the Original english dubbings for bigg boss & chinese connection?

Were they included in the criterion set?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sifu iron perm said:

Not to derail this thread on big boss, but where can we get the Original english dubbings for bigg boss & chinese connection?

Were they included in the criterion set?

The Shout! Factory Blu-ray apparently has the original English dub for The Big Boss. There's also a version on Dailymotion part 1: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iaiw8  part 2:  https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iau6a (I don't know enough about the Criterion version to comment).

As far as I know Fist of Fury (The Chinese Connection) has only ever had one English dub.

• Like 3