Bruce Lee's The Big Boss (Appreciation Thread)

Fist of the Heavenly Sky

OpiumKungFuCracker

Was this one of the first bashers ever? Or would you call this a punch and block film? Or bashers and punch and block mean the same thing? And the music? Holy shit I wanna dance the night away baby! :BL-ThumbsUp:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Was this one of the first bashers ever?

Hi @OpiumKungFuCracker, I think the title of first Basher might go to Jimmy Wang Yu's Chinese Boxer(1970)?.

Or bashers and punch and block mean the same thing?

I see them as the same thing, not sure how others might view this?.

2 hours ago, OpiumKungFuCracker said:

Or would you call this a punch and block film?

Parts of TBB choreography certianly falls into this kind of style. Look at the first half-way of the of the big factory brawl, between the workers and Mi's thugs. Mostly the work of Han Ying-Chieh?, which was a little rough round the edges here. Compared to his mor stylishly paced sword heavy fight work on Dragon Inn(1967). There's is enough of Bruce Lee's influence on the action direction, to stop it from being just another forgettable punch and block affair.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @OpiumKungFuCracker, I think the title of first Basher might go to Jimmy Wang Yu's Chinese Boxer(1970)?.

I see them as the same thing, not sure how others might view this?.

Parts of TBB choreography certianly falls into this kind of style. Look at the first half-way of the of the big factory brawl, between the workers and Mi's thugs. Mostly the work of Han Ying-Chieh?, which was a little rough round the edges here. Compared to his mor stylishly paced sword heavy fight work on Dragon Inn(1967). There's is enough of Bruce Lee's influence on the action direction, to stop it from being just another forgettable punch and block affair.

Oh yes, when Lee did his style of choreography and technique he set a new standard that was way to fluid to be considered basher.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, CT KID said:

Oh yes, when Lee did his style of choreography and technique he set a new standard that was way to fluid to be considered basher.

He should have been given complete control of the choreography, he'd had enough experience in America working in T.V & Film. Lee's work bridges the gap between the early basher/boxer films and later more refined styles of the late 70's. Being a huge influence on the likes of Sammo Hung, Corey Yuen, Yuen Woo-Ping, Stepehn Ting-Wai, Leung Kar-Yan, Bruce Leung Siu-Lung etc.

• Like 2

Original Bruce Lee Table and Sofa From The Big Boss.

This is one of the most significant finds with regards to Bruce Lee relics since his death in 1973. I have acquired the actual sofa that the Big Boss sat on and the table that Bruce Lee sat at in the movie, The Big Boss, which debuted in 1971.

The items are located in Pak Chong, Thailand, and will be shipped by priority shipping to the successful bidder.

The soda is in good condition but legs (which are made of steel) are old and rusty. The table is in good condition too but is visibly aged. It could do with some varnish and restoration if you wish to return it to it’s former glory.

The items will ship with an official certificate of authenticity (written in Thai, with an official translation in English).

I would like to see these items go to a careful and respectable owner who will cherish and take care of them.

Condition is Used. Shipped with International Priority Shipping for fragile goods.

Source- https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=bruce lee the big boss&epa=SEARCH_BOX

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Steve Kerridge posted on the thread

Steve Kerridge "Richard James Rogers well the monks there werent the original monks and are mostly young men. I have been to Pak Chong for many years and those monks are also dirty and rude and complaints have been recorded about their behaviour. Even Pi Pao was annoyed at them, so id say that cert isnt worth the paper its written on if im honest, so be careful. I also doubt the credibility as the furniture used in the movie was borrowed from surrounding property owners at the time, because the temple was sparse of any furniture. And i have that info verified. Plus, the important factor and very well known in Thai culture, is a monk isn't allowed to make money and certainly isnt allowed to sell property from the temple. hope you didnt pay much because i think you were conned. Sorry, but id get your money back"

Edited by saltysam
  • Like 3

On 11/17/2019 at 9:21 PM, saltysam said:

Steve Kerridge posted on the thread

I've read about some cons/scams by Bruce Lee fan's, but this one takes it to new heights. Monk's selling old 1970 tat as Bruce Lee movie props. I dont think they even had money for that many props. The furniture was mostly likely there when the filmc rew arrived.

What next, someone selling individual bricks from the old Golden Harvest studio's?. Even if that sofa was genuine, that thing would be musty as hell. Might even have a few cockroaches living in it too.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2019 at 1:55 PM, DragonClaws said:

He should have been given complete control of the choreography, he'd had enough experience in America working in T.V & Film. Lee's work bridges the gap between the early basher/boxer films and later more refined styles of the late 70's. Being a huge influence on the likes of Sammo Hung, Corey Yuen, Yuen Woo-Ping, Stepehn Ting-Wai, Leung Kar-Yan, Bruce Leung Siu-Lung etc.

So true, but they had egos too and weren't about to let this "young buck" come in and completely take over lol.

• Like 1

This video will be of interest to all the many Peter Thomas soundtrack fans out there.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 7:01 PM, DragonClaws said:

This video will be of interest to all the many Peter Thomas soundtrack fans out there.

Am I mistaken, or id it the original Chinese soundtrack that is heard during the clip about Peter Thomas ? If so, it's very funny that a clip is shown talking about the international new soundtrack for Big Boss without hearing it !!

• Like 2

Boards Fight Back

This movie is awesome. I think it's funny how those factory thugs killed the hooker that snitched about them to Bruce Lee, and got her in the ice room so fast. 🤣

I love it when Bruce goes all Forest Law (Tekken) on the bad guys after his pendant breaks.

When this first came out, this was probably the most brutal movie in all of Asia. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Boards Fight Back said:

This movie is awesome. I think it's funny how those factory thugs killed the hooker that snitched about them to Bruce Lee, and got her in the ice room so fast. 🤣

I love it when Bruce goes all Forest Law (Tekken) on the bad guys after his pendant breaks.

When this first came out, this was probably the most brutal movie in all of Asia. 

It's more Forest Law going all Bruce Lee. But you raise a good point.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Boards Fight Back said:

I think it was heavly infuenced by Chang Cheh's Vengeance(1970), coming out a year before Bruce Lee's debut film. Which was equally if not more brutal than TBB?. Both featuring a young lone knife weilding hero dressed in white, seeking out their bloody revenge against a crime syndicate. With the Cheng Chiu-On charactly mostly decked out in a white worksman style top.

If you pay attention through the movie, you can tell when or not Cheng will kill in a fight. When it's just a "fun" fight, he would wear either brown or blue pants with a t-shirt and a blue sash. But in a serious fight, he'd wear a long sleeve shirt with black pants and a white sash. This may be because in Chinese culture, white is a symbol of death.

Who can reveal the original title for The Big Boss?, I think LJF(Darren Chua) posted this information over at The Bruce Lee Lives forum?. I know a lot of his BL material got removed from the forum.

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese title for The Big Boss is Great  Hero from the mountain, or something like that. At least, the characters for "hero" and for "mountain" are in the title.

And the English language song sung by Mike Remedios talks about someone who "climbed mountains and roamed the land"...

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

If I'm not mistaken, the Chinese title for The Big Boss is Great  Hero from the mountain, or something like that. At least, the characters for "hero" and for "mountain" are in the title.

And the English language song sung by Mike Remedios talks about someone who "climbed mountains and roamed the land"...

Thanks @ShawAngela, I wasnt aware that Mike Remedios English lyrics were actually connected to the films original release title?.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Thanks @ShawAngela, I wasnt aware that Mike Remedios English lyrics were actually connected to the films original release title?.

In my humble opinion, they are indeed connected to the movies, or at least, they fit the stories very well.

Here is the link to the posts where I wrote the lyrics, I just added the ones for Fists of fury.

The first lyrics I posted were posted on the 16th of October.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ShawAngela said:

In my humble opinion, they are indeed connected to the movies, or at least, they fit the stories very well.

Thanks @ShawAngela.

Veteran movie Director Lee Tso-Nam is credited on Hong Kong Cinemagic as being the Assistant Director on The Big Boss. However his name is absent from the HKMDB entry for this movie. Can anyone clarify which site is correct on this subject?.

Hong Kong Cinemagic, Link- http://www.hkcinemagic.com/en/f540-The-Big-Boss.html

HKMDB.COM, Linnk- http://hkmdb.com/db/movies/view.mhtml?id=5265&display_set=eng

• Like 1

TibetanWhiteCrane

Why would a Taiwanese director be assisting on a HK production shot in Thailand? He directed a movie called Big Boss in '81 which is probably the root of the mix-up. HKCinemagic is far from reliable.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Why would a Taiwanese director be assisting on a HK production shot in Thailand? He directed a movie called Big Boss in '81 which is probably the root of the mix-up. HKCinemagic is far from reliable.

They also have Bruce Lee listed/credited as Assistant Director too. From Hollywood bit player and sometimes co-star, to a leading man in a Hong Kong movie shot in Thailand.

• Like 1

Daniel Whyte, who was interviewed in The Return to Pak Chong Video. Spoke too soon, when he commented on the lack of Bruce Lee themed tourism in the Thai town. I think Richard James.R is the man behind the Bruce Lee Village Tour Group?.

Bruce Lee Village: Pak Chong, Thailand

Source- https://bruceleevillage.com/

Guided tours of the amazing, virtually unchanged filming locations for Bruce Lee's epic 1971 movie: The Big Boss. Buses leave Bangkok in the early morning of the day trip and arrive in Pak Chong shortly afterwards. On the tour you will visit:

1. The Big Boss' house (the actual location where Bruce fought the villains and The Big Boss himself)
2. The hotel that Bruce stayed at during filming (which was also the location of Bruce's drunken meal with the ice factory staff)
3. The ice factory (which is still an actual, working ice factory)
4. The river where Bruce had deep thoughts
5. Alleys and streets where fights took place

This is a pioneering, first of its kind opportunity in Thailand and a newly discovered 'Aladdin's cave' for all Bruce Lee fans

72529802_381730489397444_128629752209604

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1