Chinatown (2013)

ShaOW!linDude

The Amazing Psycho Per

Indeed, someone leaked a raw version of Cho Lon on the net! I grabed it on TPB. I browsed very quickly and it is very raw and without, of course, any subs. There is some music here and there, but foley is not done or incomplete, at least during fight scenes, from what I saw. Still, if this is the only way we'll ever be able to see it so be it... I will watch it later tonight and give more feedback.

Link to the article on twich:

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/07/johnny-nguyens-banned-cho-lon-is-briefly-leaked-online.html[/

sorry wrong section! Can someone please move this?

you can download it on piratebay (dot) org no subs and you can see some wires.. but u get the idea..to the guy who said the knife play was better than the raid, i respectfully disagree. i thought it was a great movie with lots of action, but i dont see why it was banned. ive seen much more violent films. in fact Dredd was a more violent film. i was expecting some bloody violent mess but instead it was just some great fight scenes and a lot of people being stabbed. if anyone can find a subtitles version i would be willing to pay for a copy

One Armed Boxer

Just to confirm are we all still talking about the version that was leaked a couple of months ago? I'd also be willing to see a subbed version, even if it looked pretty raw, but the version that was leaked was already confirmed as being one of the re-edited cuts that was made to try and get it past the Vietnamese censors, so had a lot of the violence from the original cut removed. Personally if I'm going to see it, I'd rather see the original version or nothing at all.

I volunteer provide the translation for this movie but someone must do the coding because I don't know how.

The coding isn't a problem here mate. Let's get started. This wouldn't be something to profit from. The total size would be a 30kb.

I guess if we wanted to be really ambitious, adding the foley wouldn't be THAT hard. Just an extra audio track.

There was one knife fight in the meth lab (Serbuan Maut) but Johnny kills it in Bui Doi Cho Lon. Not only technically but we're talking revolving camera angles, etc. It's a pretty good gangster flick too. But the lack of subtitles really hurts it. And the other actors to really put their work in.

From what I've read, it was an issue for Vietnam as a country to have it released. Tons of related links at twitch starting here:

http://twitchfilm.com/2013/06/vietnamese-directors-speak-out-on-cho-lon-and-censorship.html

The problem I have is they filmed this in Vietnam, right? So unless this country has issues knowing "film" law, they should have gotten permission to film there, correct? And isn't online deals like Netflix an option? I think the reaction by the crew and government is a bit much. Even their reason about the lack of police in the film is bullshit. Anyone watching the film you can see the police are putting the pieces of the gang war together, it's like the 1st scene. To act like your country doesn't have gang violence and murders is the biggest steam of hubris I've smelled in quite sometime.

gwailosforever

Why are we talking about a Vietnamese film in the Hong Kong Cinema section?! LOL There is already a thread on the film I started a while back. http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19619

As some of you may have seen from my previous posts I'm based in Vietnam and I was fortunate to be invited to the set of 'Cho Lon' on five seperate occassions. It's tragic what has happened to the film, especially after witnessing first hand the blood sweat and tears that went into making it. Charlie and Johnny are quite rightly heartbroken.

I understand all your frustrations and disbelief with the situation, but you have to remember this is still Communist Vietnam. It's going to take time for things to change. On a positive note things have changed a lot already here over the past ten years. Hell ten years ago there wasn't even an industry in Vietnam. Johnny and co had trouble with 'Clash' (Bay Rong) a few years ago but managed to get that through. With 'Cho Lon' they pushed it further but sadly this time it wasn't to be.

I have not seen the leaked version online and have no intention to. It's an edit Charlie was preparing for the censors, so it has a lot of violence cut out, plus as mentioned previously it has incomplete sound, foley etc. Just recently I have been offered a private cinema viewing of the complete directors cut with English subtitles. If it goes ahead I will let you guys know my thougths.

OpiumKungFuCracker

If Communist Vietnam is a problem, why not shoot the film somewhere else? Again, it's called movie magic for a reason? Why go through all that trouble just to get the authenticity of it? You can create authenticity through creativity because they have all the talent already? Here's an idea for the next filming location: DETROIT!!!!!

Detroit filed for bankruptcy and I'm pretty sure filming there would help that city greatly. Heck just build some fake set and call it Saigon, lol.. It's called a movie for a reason not a documentary.

gwailosforever

Johnny and Charlie are both proud Vietnamese Americans (like many of the new wave of talent here). If it wasn't for them and 'The Rebel', it's quite possible there would still be no industry at all here. Staying in the States would have resulted in nothing happening in Vietnam. It is their heritage and they want to give back which they've done in abundance already.

Plus being Asian American it is extremely difficult to work in film, get decent roles, get funding for projects etc in the States. Johnny was (and still is) a respected stuntman in Hollywood but getting beyond that is extremly tough. Dustin Nguyen is a respected actor who has been working in Hollywood for 20 years, but was constantly frustrated with the lack of decent roles for Asians in Hollywood. What Charlie, Johnny, Dustin etc have done is very similar to what Bruce Lee did in the early 70s. Hollywood just wasn't providing the opportunities so he went back to his homeland. Problem is with Vietnam there are restrictions to work around, but in one sense they have more freedom, as they can make their own movies and have lead roles here.

Also money goes a lot further in Vietnam. 'Clash' for example cost just $500,000. Try making the same film in Detroit and it would be a few million at the very least.

OpiumKungFuCracker
Johnny and Charlie are both proud Vietnamese Americans (like many of the new wave of talent here). If it wasn't for them and 'The Rebel', it's quite possible there would still be no industry at all here. Staying in the States would have resulted in nothing happening in Vietnam. It is their heritage and they want to give back which they've done in abundance already.

Plus being Asian American it is extremely difficult to work in film, get decent roles, get funding for projects etc in the States. Johnny was (and still is) a respected stuntman in Hollywood but getting beyond that is extremly tough. Dustin Nguyen is a respected actor who has been working in Hollywood for 20 years, but was constantly frustrated with the lack of decent roles for Asians in Hollywood. What Charlie, Johnny, Dustin etc have done is very similar to what Bruce Lee did in the early 70s. Hollywood just wasn't providing the opportunities so he went back to his homeland. Problem is with Vietnam there are restrictions to work around, but in one sense they have more freedom, as they can make their own movies and have lead roles here.

Also money goes a lot further in Vietnam. 'Clash' for example cost just $500,000. Try making the same film in Detroit and it would be a few million at the very least.

Well damn, that is kind of sad that they still go through the trials and tribulations the same way Bruce Lee and many others did 30 something years ago. Jesus Christ nothing has changed at all but what about programs like Kickstarter or the people like Stunt people? I don't see Johnny and Dustin having some problems getting their film funded and they are a much bigger star than the Stunt people? Again like you said, it's all about heritage and pride when it all comes down to it.

One Armed Boxer
I have not seen the leaked version online and have no intention to. It's an edit Charlie was preparing for the censors, so it has a lot of violence cut out

I have to second gwailosforever sentiment and agree that, as much as I'd appreciate someone subbing this, if the movie being subbed is the heavily edited version that was to be re-submitted to the censors, which it is, then I have very little interest in seeing it.

Jesus Christ nothing has changed at all but what about programs like Kickstarter or the people like Stunt people?

These initiatives are always an option for fledgling filmmakers, however even the Stunt People's last campaign got cancelled due to lack of funding. They were going to make a series of Star Wars shorts....yes, the Stunt People choreographing Star Wars fight scenes!...however a few months after I pledged my donation I got an e-mail saying that I'll be receiving a full refund due to them not meeting their target. Sad but true.

The Amazing Psycho Per
Why are we talking about a Vietnamese film in the Hong Kong Cinema section?! LOL There is already a thread on the film I started a while back.

If you read the first post, you will see that I posted this a couples months ago... Plus, I mistakenly posted this in HK cinema section and asked for it to be moved but it's still there.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Well goddamn man!!!! So aggravating, it's just a movie to entertain people and the communist is ruining everything. Hey if there's a will there's a way!