The Women of Martial Arts Films

IgaNinja

They are too many too choose.

My top favourites are Angela Mao, Chia Ling, Shan Kuan Ming Fung, Lily Li, Michelle Yim, Yeung Pan Pan, Cynthia Rothrock, Michelle Yeoh, Cynthia Khan, Sun Chia Lin, Cheung Ching Ching, Cindy Tang Hsin, Pearl Chang Ling and a lot of other more less known actresses that I " met " in martial arts series...

Secret Executioner

No love fof Polly Shang-Kwan ? :crying  Granted I find her more cute when she poses as a dude (I find this is a thing with other actresses as well), but still.

I also liked Ivy Ling Po in The 14 Amazons

ivylingpo_9c48b8b84cb656992b66beca6b8b5c

about as cute as bad@$$, though the latter is the more memorable part.

Secret Executioner

return-of-the-18-bronzemen-polly-kwan_a4

I don't know if Polly Shang was posing as a guy in Return of the 18 Bronzemen, but that's the masculine look I like with some Chinese women that I mentionned above. On a sidenote, it would be sweet if she had her own 36 Styles shirt design, though the ROT18B one is really cool - and seeing her looks in the movie, I guess I have two good reasons for buying it now. :tongueout

I just realized that I made a mistake : of course, it's Shan Kuan Ling Fung aka Polly Shan Kuan that I mentioned in my list.

Ling Po, Li Lihua, Chin Ping, Lily Ho are also in my list...

I always liked Hsia Kwan-Li, the star of Woman Avenger and the co-star of Shaolin Invincible Sticks and The Leg Fighters

Like seriously, why hasn't Chloe Bruce gotten a lead role yet? Here she is in the Scottish martial arts action film The Purifiers taking on Dominic Monaghan, aka Merry the Hobbit!

I searched soomething reagrding Wong Mei Mei on hkmdb, and when I saw her pictures, I recognized her.

And I agree that she is also very good. I remember to have seen her in The convict killer and she was very convincing in her role. Thanks for having talked about her.

Bai Jing, star of Kung Fu Wing Chun, had talent and could have been an action star of today's generation. Sadly, we will never know due to her death in 2012.

• Like 1

For those interested, I wrote two long articles about women in kung-fu films. For me, it always be Moon Lee and Yukari Oshima, the dynamic duo of fighting. 

https://cinematichorizons.wordpress.com/2014/01/06/fists-of-doom-and-god-created-angela-mao/

https://cinematichorizons.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/fists-of-doom-sammos-angels/

• Like 2

Does the clip " Lily Li, Gordon LIn, Barry Chan let off " come form a series or a movie ? And what is the title, please ?

Thanks for the answer.

She was so young, very sad news I wasn't aware of.

Thanks for the clip.

No problem. Since you didn't hear about her death, it was known that it was her husband who stabbed her over jealousy. I am sure if she was still alive, we'd still see her kicking butt today.

Here's two I would love to see again: Zhang Lanxin (aka Zheng Mengyu), Chinese tae kwon do champion and Caitlin Dechelle, XMA protege of Mike Chaturantabut. They have a pretty good fight in Jackie Chan's Chinese Zodiac. I know Zhang was recently in Who Am I? 2015 and Dechelle is active as a stunt performer these days, not to mention she just won a major tournament in the ISKA women's weapons division earlier this year in Orlando (it was broadcast live in ESPN2).

Maggie Cheung, Rosamund Kwan, Michelle Yeoh, Bridgitte Lin are my favorites. I will watch anything with these four. Michelle Reis is cool too.

I hope Lady Bloodfight comes out soon because after seeing this and her performance as Android 18 in the pilot of Dragon Ball Z: Light of Hope, I'm starting to like Amy Johnston

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
5 hours ago, Secret Executioner said:

Gotta say she definitely looks the part for a live-action Android 18. :BL-4YouDaMan:  

Agreed. I almost see the Borg from Star Trek Voyager too... 

I am sure I've seen Maggie Cheung cut loose, but I cannot remember where (Was it Heroic Trio?)

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi

17 hours ago, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

Agreed. I almost see the Borg from Star Trek Voyager too... 

I am sure I've seen Maggie Cheung cut loose, but I cannot remember where (Was it Heroic Trio?)

Yes, she does some butt kicking in both Heroic Trio and its sequel, Executioners. 

Here's the DBZ Light of Hope Pilot, where Amy plays Android 18

• Like 2

Kara Hui may be retired from action films, but she worked on a TV miniseries in 2017 - from today's Twitter Asian Film Strike - "Poster of Patrick Kong's Stained, a FOX [Networks Group] mini-series starring Kara Hui & Anthony Wong" and produced by actor Andy Lau.  'Stained' is a Hong Kong "police procedural miniseries, based on true events"; sounds like it could be an action series.  Fox Networks Group is making "high-end original miniseries in Asia" for ten million subscribers in Asia outside of China, and for about a billion viewers inside China through its partnership with Tencent's Penguin Pictures. 

It's hard to tell if she has completely retired from appearing in movies either.  Upcoming movies or current 2017 movies where Kara Hui is listed in the cast include:  Sons of the Neon Night (a gangster movie from Juno Mak); 77 Heartbreaks (a romance from Herman Yau); Blinding Souls (horror film from Can Pang Chun); and Death Ouija 2 (horror movie from Simon Lui).  She could have done her filming for these movies prior to 2017.

77 Heartbreaks opened in Asia June 6, 2017.  Youtube trailer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ffyxGjiqqk

Death Ouija 2 opened in Asia March 10, 2017.  Youtube trailer -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FFZNhRVMHA

• Like 2

Mike Leeder

Hui Yin-hong has not retired from movies or TV, she says she has stepped back from action roles due to age and injury with MRS K being the final full blown hurrah into action

She's still working on various film & TV shows

• Like 2

But she won't keep too busy with acting, will she?  She still wants to take time to paint.  I notice that, of the 5 most recent movies listed on her IMDB page, two are horror, and in the other three, she plays a mother.  She won awards in 2009 for her portrayal of a mother in the film At the End of Daybreak.  

The latest movie I've found for Kara Hui is The Bold, The Corrupt and the Beautiful, a crime drama from Yang Ya-che, posted on - https://twitter.com/AsianFilmStrike  Kara Hui plays "Madame Tang [who] colludes and mediates between the government and the private businesses for the benefits of her all-female family.  One case does not go according to plan, and an entire family close to Madame Tang fall victim to a gruesome murder."  The movie opens in Taiwan on November 24, 2017.  Trailer here - 

Edited by whitesnake
  • Like 1