The Women of Martial Arts Films

IgaNinja

In a genre like martial arts,It is rather male dominated but there is a few female leads/support leads that really stand out. I thought id make this thread not only as a 'favorites' but also as a recommendation,as I myself have been wanting to watch a few more female lead MA films then the usual male talent.

Aside from modern films like Coweb and Chocolate etc,is there any good period era films with female leads that anyone can recommend?,just looking for that change of pace.

Wing Chun was pretty good...Michelle Yeoh in the lead role as the titular character

For wire-fu sci-fi kung fu, The Heroic Trio - Michelle, the late Anita Mui, and Maggie Cheung.

China O'Brien - good ol' American kung fu flick with Cynthia Rothrock as butt kicking sheriff. Kind of like a martial arts Walking Tall.

Anything with the Girls with Guns series, mainly Angel (Iron Angels) with Moon Lee and Yukari Oshima. I personally enjoyed Avenging Quartet. That one starred Moon Lee, Cynthia Yang/Khan, Yukari Oshima, and Michiko Nishiwaki.

The In the Line of Duty series was great too. Yes Madam! with Michelle and Cynthia were great then Cynthia Yang/Khan took over for ILOD 3-5 and two unofficial sequels, Forbidden Arsenal and Sea Wolves.

To Me "Wing Chun" with Michelle Yeoh has to be one of the best in HK Cinema.

But in Japanese Cinema Azumi # 1 & 2 are off the hook.

To Me "Wing Chun" with Michelle Yeoh has to be one of the best in HK Cinema.

But in Japanese Cinema Azumi # 1 & 2 are off the hook.

This is the movie that made me a Michelle yeoh fan,seen it one time on TNT late night in the 90's when they had the late night weird stuff going on with the bride with the white hair.

Wing Chun, how could I have forgotten this one,ive seen clips but never the whole movie..shame lol,looks like thats on my list tomorrow.

I own Azumi 1 an 2,personal favorites.

Lady Snowblood is also pretty good.

I'm rather fond of Wei Zhao ever since seeing Red Cliff and Hua Mulan.

Yeah under Tong Ching Siu-Tung, she did well in Shaolin Soccer as a Tai Chi master.

I also need to mention "Sister Street Fighter" herself, Etsuko "Sue" Shihomi. Definitely worthy female MA star. A shame she's long retired. Aside from SSF, I liked Dragon Princess, where she teamed with Yasuaki Kurata.

I also recommend Hap Ki Do and Lady Whirlwind with Angela Mao. She is truly a kung fu fighting diva, one of the best of the classic kung fu era.

I also recommend Woman Avenger (aka Fatal Claws and Deadly Kicks). The lead actress, Hsia Kwan-Li, trained in Taiwanese opera and was quite the kicker. She did some nice kicking here and in The Leg Fighters with the awesome Delon Tan and Peng Kang.

Who are your favorite women of Martial Arts films or any time period. ( I tried to see if this was already a tread, if it is please let me know and I'll move it.)

Who are your favorites and what is their best film?

http://jezebel.com/you-should-watch-these-badass-women-led-martial-arts-f-1647060111

I really like Michelle Yeoh in almost every films she has done!!

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

I'm a huge Michelle Yeoh fan myself.

I confess to being a bit enamored of Cecilia Wong of Shaolin Mantis. I think I've only seen her in that and maybe Dirty Kung Fu. Party of this clip is taken from Stranger From Shaolin which I really need to find.

I've always enjoyed watching Joyce Godenzi (Sammo's wife) fight on screen.

Veronica Ngo of The Rebel and Clash really sells her fights. For a Vietnamese pop star, she does flying scissor leg takedowns like nobody's business.

• Like 1

Brigitte Lin in The Bride with White Hair 1 & 2 is pretty scary..... Its been a long time ago I watched them, but I remember I could feel the tension.....

I'm a huge Michelle Yeoh fan myself.

I confess to being a bit enamored of Cecilia Wong of Shaolin Mantis. I think I've only seen her in that and maybe Dirty Kung Fu. Party of this clip is taken from Stranger From Shaolin which I really need to find.

All I could find for now

Brigitte Lin in The Bride with White Hair 1 & 2 is pretty scary..... Its been a long time ago I watched them, but I remember I could feel the tension.....

Yes those where some of the first I watched, i was able to know what copies to get that were not cut from reading a thread on the old KFC forum about alternate endings.

This post was longer than what it is but due to some glitch in this network my labor of love to Wong mei mei was deleted.So this is the shortened version.Wong mei mei has starred in Stroke of death aka monkey kung fu,Boxer from the temple,Lover's blades,Ambitous Kung fu girl,Bloody Parrot and Magic Crystal as Andy Lau's sister.She has starred in other actioners as well but the ones I mentioned she gets to strut her stuff which isn't often because despite her high skill set and enticing good looks she never was the headliner for any of those movies.She was there to be a film highlight and nothing more.A shame really because lesser females were given chances to star in their own flick.To describe her legwork would be to say one part tan tao liang and a dose of hwang jang li. Don't believe me? Type her name up on youtube.You'll find something meaningful.To those who know who I'm referring to then you know I'm not exagerrating in the slightest.Yukari Oshima is my all around favorite but I always light up when I see mei mei on screen because more than likely,she's gonna set it off.At least when they allow her to strut her stuff.A bow to one of the jade screen's underrated heroines...Wong mei mei.

Alias Lady Scorpion.(My personal nickname for her)

So many to choose from.  Cheng Pei Pei, Angela Mao, Polly Shan Kwon, Kara Hui, Moon Lee, Yukari Oshima, Cynthia Khan, Cynthia Rothrock, Michelle Yeoh, Michiko Nishiwaki, Pan Pan Yeung, Joyce Godenzi, I can't decide!

Yukari Oshima & Moon Lee

Couldn't decide for one and on top of that they make such a great on screen duo! Favorites include Dreaming the Reality, Kickboxer's Tears & Angel Terminators 2

I would choose  the osh as my favourite then kara hui,moon Lee  and Michele yeoh.I have chosen oshima as my favourite because she was a real life karate expert and she could pull off the choreography as well.Kara hui because she was the queen of the traditional Kung fu movie(not a trained martial artist though)moon Lee and Michele yeoh because although not trained martial artist eitherthey looked good doing it.

Cynthia Rothrock is one of my favorite female Martial Artists. Despite been a westerner she could still handle the tough & highly demanding Hong Kong film industry. She holds her own in the excellent No Retreat No Surrender 2, even when facing off against Hwang Jang Lee. Love the way she swings her punches too, you can see she's skilled both on and off screen.

• Buddha Bless You 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I quite like Lily Li. 

Doesn't spoil anything...

This was a  favorite moment in Executioners:  pretty brilliant (ha ha at the Carmen score in the background)

Some Gordon Liu for Hei too:

Interview that's translated into French:

and Shaolin Mantis trailer (she does great spear work in this and the film itself. )