Back To The Shadows - The Ninja Genre Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

It will a huge improvement especially if your only used to the old censored VHS print. Too bad they are using the R-Rated print but its better than nothing I suppose.

The differences were discussed in another thread and although i've not seen the uncut version i've seen the extended scenes on youtube and they mostly involve the Limehouse character so i'm not too fussed that they've been trimmed down (particularly the hospital rape scene which is graphic enough).  I agree that uncut is generally preferable but from what I can gather there's only a few seconds of actual ninja stuff missing, mostly slightly longer shots in the end fight so i'm hoping that i'll still be able to enjoy the film. 

• Like 1

The differences were discussed in another thread and although i've not seen the uncut version i've seen the extended scenes on youtube and they mostly involve the Limehouse character so i'm not too fussed that they've been trimmed down (particularly the hospital rape scene which is graphic enough).  I agree that uncut is generally preferable but from what I can gather there's only a few seconds of actual ninja stuff missing, mostly slightly longer shots in the end fight so i'm hoping that i'll still be able to enjoy the film. 

It did get off quite lightly compared to some of Kosugi's other films. I think Black Eagle was the only film of his to pass the British censors intact during the 80's.

It did get off quite lightly compared to some of Kosugi's other films. I think Black Eagle was the only film of his to pass the British censors intact during the 80's.

I think the reason i'm so looking forward to these releases is because even though i've watched them many times as a kid seeing the full versions is almost like watching a new film! I was amazed when I saw Revenge of the Ninja a few years back and saw all the extra footage that had been cut in the UK, this re-ignited my interest so I then picked up Enter the Ninja which I know the cock fighting scene is cut (but who cares) but again it was great to see the nunchaku scenes etc which i'd never seen before. Incidentally I never understood why Kosugi wore an eye patch in Ninja 3 until last year when I saw the Shout blu ray because the scene where the evil ninja threw the dart into his eye was missing! It's funny though we've waited years for these and then they all turn up at once.

• Like 1

I think the reason i'm so looking forward to these releases is because even though i've watched them many times as a kid seeing the full versions is almost like watching a new film! I was amazed when I saw Revenge of the Ninja a few years back and saw all the extra footage that had been cut in the UK, this re-ignited my interest so I then picked up Enter the Ninja which I know the cock fighting scene is cut (but who cares) but again it was great to see the nunchaku scenes etc which i'd never seen before. Incidentally I never understood why Kosugi wore an eye patch in Ninja 3 until last year when I saw the Shout blu ray because the scene where the evil ninja threw the dart into his eye was missing! It's funny though we've waited years for these and then they all turn up at once.

Yeah ETN probably got it worse than all the Kosugi films combined nearly every fight suffered cuts. I picked a few up UNCUT on R1 but not all of them. ETN turned up unedited on the now defunct channel Bravo long befor its U.K DVD release.

Shogun's Ninja. This movie has it all.. including a smooth jazz soundtrack... Which, at time makes you for get what you are watching, while adding to the awesomeness at the same time.  Exhibit A  https://youtu.be/UCqDBwiFEW8

Thanks for posting the link, I'd never watched any clips from this film before.

Arrow is releasing this bad boy on March 15th!

145927_front.png

Kosugi fans are getting spoiled at the moment with all the American and British re-issues. I'm going to pick up the U.K release, but I'd like to read the extract from Sho's upcoming book that's featured on the US release of Rage Of Honor.

• Like 1

Two new Ninja-related trailers have been posted on Wu Tang Collection's Youtube channel.  :happy 

The narration for those old Godfrey Ho ninja flicks previews are priceless. They seem to use the same voice actor for each trailer.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

The narration for those old Godfrey Ho ninja flicks previews are priceless. They seem to use the same voice actor for each trailer.

Actually there have been several. Hell, one of the trailers has the narration done by one of the actors (or the guy who dubs him), so you have narration and dialogues said by the same guy. :tongue: 

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Looking forward to everyone's Rage of Honor reviews, so I can live vicariously through your purchase. Have to stick the budget. :monk_crying:

• Like 1

Actually there have been several. Hell, one of the trailers has the narration done by one of the actors (or the guy who dubs him), so you have narration and dialogues said by the same guy. :tongue: 

That's great, no point hiring someone when you can pay one guy to do both jobs. Godfrey Ho was the master of making films on a none existent budget for maximum profits.

Edited by DragonClaws

Secret Executioner

More Ninja trailers added to the video section:

Tough Ninja: the Shadow Warrior (yup, that's a title that exists) and The Thundering Ninja:

Zodiac America 1 & 2 (IFD cut-and-splice films):

• Like 2

Morgoth Bauglir

That John Ladalski interview was incredible!  Funny story about Ho and Tang burning their movies to destroy the evidence.  Also about Ti Lung making a movie in Taiwan that became 2 different movies.  I learned a lot. ?

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir
  • Like 2

Has anybody picked up the UK Rage of Honor yet? Just wondering if it's uncut and what the print is like, i've not picked up any of the 101 Films Cult Collection titles yet but i'm hoping to get this, Pray for Death and a couple of Van Damme movies in the coming months (AWOL & Death Warrant).

• Like 1

Kosugi fans are getting spoiled at the moment with all the American and British re-issues. I'm going to pick up the U.K release, but I'd like to read the extract from Sho's upcoming book that's featured on the US release of Rage Of Honor.

Wonder when the book will be released? Anyone know?

Edited by MattC
  • Like 1

Wonder when the book will be released? Anyone know?

Wish I could answer your question but I'm not sure if the book has a release date yet?.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
On 12/24/2015 at 1:58 PM, lungfei said:

here's a great interview with godfrey ho star john ladalski

http://www.coolasscinema.com/2015/12/cool-ass-cinema-presents-interview-with.html

Thanks for posting this. Lots interesting information about John and his costars. John stood out so prominently in My Rebellious Son (and that works perfectly for the story.) Nice to know who he is. I'll have to look for him in Legend of the Bat etc.

and now I'm itching to see Ti's own fight style...

• Like 3