Back To The Shadows - The Ninja Genre Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

On 12/30/2021 at 5:48 PM, DragonClaws said:

Anyone here heard of this comic book series before?.

I hadn't heard of it, but it was extremely popular for Valiant Comics back in the 90s (according to Wikipedia).

• Like 2

On 1/19/2022 at 11:41 PM, DragonClaws said:

The Best and Worst of ’80s Ninja Video Games - (Craig Lines)

: Saboteur? BMX Ninja? Ninja Golf? Shadow Warriors? The Last Ninja? We dissect the ninja videogames of the 1980s...

Link- https://www.denofgeek.com/games/the-best-and-worst-of-80s-ninja-video-games/

ninja_games_-_ninja_scooter_simulator.jp

Love Craig Lines' write-ups, especially his reviews found on Ninjas All The Way Down site. 

• Like 4

On 1/23/2022 at 9:50 PM, DragonClaws said:

@Super Ninja Have you heard this movie before?, I think its by the same team who did Zombie VS Ninjas?.

Think I've seen it somewhere but wasn't really interested. I usually stay away from such films as I have a feeling they'll just be cheap and bad and most likely won't have any good MA action. You can get a feel of it from the poster, screenshots or the trailer. I can't believe I'm saying this, but not every "ninja movie" is worth seeing.

I am however interested in The VelociPastor (2017) since I found out there's quality ninjing to be enjoyed here and it came recommended by Craig Lines in his review. 

• Like 3

DragonClaws

"Another thing that strikes me about our apparent UW luchador is his ninja-like chain weapon. It’s not just the weapon, though. It’s the whole body language that looks suspicious. Isn’t our caped guy executing some sort of ninja-move?! A ninja-wrestler in a skeleton suit, what crazy combination is that! Right, the 70s and 80s experienced a massive martial arts hype, reaching a peak in the mid-80s with countless Ninjaploitation movies, video games, and action figures. To list them all would fill an entire book on its own. I’m only naming Remco’s five inch action figure line Secret of the Ninja from 1984, the unbranded Ghost Warriors from 1985, and Select's Ninja Assassin from 1985, to give an idea of what kind of martial arts themed toys were around when UW eventually came out in 1986."

https://64.media.tumblr.com/5caa94abd4ee0eae5a90d6f1a4b6423a/tumblr_inline_ouqtimk6R41qlffvn_540.jpg

"I’m particular naming Ghost Warriors and Ninja Assassin because zombies in samurai gear, and monsters in ninja suits certainly share a common theme with our beloved mythic fighters from the underworld. This simply seems to be the kind of stuff that kids were digging back in the days!"

Source- Taken from an in depth article that covers a lot of cheap genre mixing bootleg Toy Lines of the 1980's. With a ninja toyline that sounds like it was inspired by Godfrey Ho's far out VHS cut and splice flicks.

Underworld Warriors Origins, Pt. II: Skeleton Monster Ninja Wrestlers from the Tomb!

Link- https://knockoffcollector.tumblr.com/post/163939308374/underworld-warriors-origins-pt-ii-skeleton

• Like 2

After Chiba-San's passing away (RIP to one of the greatests) I rewatched The Yagyu Conspiracy tv series, it took me a while to get through it, with a move in between, work , ect.

It was fantastic, a chess match between the Yagyus and court nobles and other Daimyo, with Chiba sniffing out the conspiracy by the end, great ninja action and satisfying ending.

• Like 2