Back To The Shadows - The Ninja Genre Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

I'm not sure which source has been used for the below clips, lifted from the IFD flick Hands of Death(1988)?. The quality is really good, for a 1980's IFD movie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

I wish I could help you out @andy338, if theres anything special about a particular new Martial Arts movie release. It usually get's highlighted by someone on the forum.

Yeah, I reckon the lack of information about these is due to them not having anything new, i'm sure people would've mentioned if these releases contained footage/extras not previously available.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Anyone know the source of the cleaned up IFD movie clips I shared earlier in the thread yesterday?.

Only place I've seen IFD films looking that good is Toby Russell's YT channel, from what I've heard he owns the rights to IFD films. Here's an example, also a Sorapong Chatree movie:

• Like 4

NEW YORK NINJA Review: Ninja Stars, Roller Skates & Plutonium, Oh My!

Link- https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/new-york-ninja-review-ninja-stars-roller-skates-plutonium-oh-my/

Oh boy, how do I even start this? Well, I’ll give it a try.

NEW YORK NINJA was a martial arts movie filmed guerilla style in New York 1984 by star/writer/director/taiwanese martial artist John Liu that was subsequently abandoned before any thorough post production could be completed. Seemingly, the film would be lost forever. That is, until boutique distribution label Vinegar Syndrome discovered the forgotten remains and painstakingly restructured & completed the film without audio or script to go by. A herculean task if you ask me.

image source- https://www.americancinematheque.com/now-showing/234234234/

https://assets.americancinematheque.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/22193520/NY-Ninja-Hero.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Is it available for preorder already? Can't find it on the VS site or anywhere else for that matter...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Is it available for preorder already? Can't find it on the VS site or anywhere else for that matter...

I'm not sure if you can pre-order it yet?, @KUNG FU BOB might be the best person to ask in regard to this. It's released on November 1st right?.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

It just had its world premiere at Beyond Fest a few days ago. I wonder if anyone here saw it and can comment about it? I really wanted to see this and the rotoscope fantasy animation, The Spine of the Night but unfortunately I couldn't make it.

• Like 3

• Administrator
On 10/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, Super Ninja said:

On 10/15/2021 at 3:29 PM, DragonClaws said:

I'm not sure if you can pre-order it yet?, @KUNG FU BOB might be the best person to ask in regard to this. It's released on November 1st right?.

On 10/15/2021 at 9:54 PM, Yihetuan said:

It just had its world premiere at Beyond Fest a few days ago. I wonder if anyone here saw it and can comment about it? I really wanted to see this and the rotoscope fantasy animation, The Spine of the Night but unfortunately I couldn't make it.

Hi forum siblings! From what I understand this will go up for order and be available for shipping on November 1st directly from Vinegar Syndrome. Here's the site: https://vinegarsyndrome.com/  This was a cool (ultra secret) project to work on. The main guy responsible for putting the pieces together is director Kurt Spieler, and he was wonderful to collaborate with. My first time working with Vinegar Syndrome was great and hopefully I'll get the chance to do so again. I'm attaching a WIP photo of my NEW YORK NINJA artwork. What's the mysterious green light in that case all about? :sweating You'll have to buy a copy of the movie to find out. :tongue:

I've ordered from them before- the Paul Naschy flick COUNT DRACULA'S GREAT LOVE (1973) and their super Limited Edition of the 1986 BMX movie RAD (how's that for an eclectic double-feature?) and they shipped everything safely in very sturdy packaging. Great service. I also preordered their upcoming release of FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN which will include a 4K UHD, both 3D and 2D versions, and a wild assortment of extras. :nerd:

The movie itself is nuts! It's played straight, but... :tongueout Well, have you seen MIAMI CONNECTION (1987)? Hahahaha :clappinghands I don't want to ruin the surprises, but I will say this... You will see a Tobey Maguire doppelganger doing Drunken Fu. :bigsmile:

NEW YORK NINJA- WIP ARTWORK.jpg

• Like 4
  • Buddha Bless You 1

@KUNG FU BOB, your artwork for NY Ninja looks great as always. Is this the approved final version? it's very busy with a lot going on. Where's Ginger Lynn? Is she the reporter or is that Linnea Quigley?

244772111_4938677109493778_432862971684012062_n.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/19/2021 at 4:55 PM, KUNG FU BOB said:

The movie itself is nuts! It's played straight, but... :tongueout Well, have you seen MIAMI CONNECTION (1987)?

If it's anything like Miami Connection, I'm gonna love it! 

• Like 3

• Administrator
On 10/19/2021 at 10:04 PM, Yihetuan said:

@KUNG FU BOB, your artwork for NY Ninja looks great as always. Is this the approved final version? it's very busy with a lot going on. Where's Ginger Lynn? Is she the reporter or is that Linnea Quigley?

Too busy?

Yes, this is the final version I did.

Ginger Lynn and Linnea Quigley aren't in the film. They (and Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Leon Isaac Kennedy, Michael Berryman and the other genre stars mentioned) were brought in to do the voice dubbing as the film footage didn't include sound. I'm not sure of the name of the actress playing the reporter.

On 10/20/2021 at 1:43 PM, Super Ninja said:

If it's anything like Miami Connection, I'm gonna love it! 

It is, in that it was not made with the intention of being funny, but it's so ludicrous that it is!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KUNG FU BOB said:

Too busy?

Yes, this is the final version I did.

Ginger Lynn and Linnea Quigley aren't in the film. They (and Don "The Dragon" Wilson, Leon Isaac Kennedy, Michael Berryman and the other genre stars mentioned) were brought in to do the voice dubbing as the film footage didn't include sound. I'm not sure of the name of the actress playing the reporter.

It is, in that it was not made with the intention of being funny, but it's so ludicrous that it is!

ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, I meant there's a lot going on in the poster as in seems like you captured everything. I didn't mean "busy" in a negative way.

• Like 3

• Administrator
20 hours ago, Yihetuan said:

ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. Yeah, I meant there's a lot going on in the poster as in seems like you captured everything. I didn't mean "busy" in a negative way.

No worries. I would've been fine even if you did mean that as a criticism of the art. :bigsmile: I value people's opinions about my work and it helps me try to improve my stuff. I did feel that the film has a "madcap" energy, so I wanted to have a lot going on in the poster.

• Like 3

On 10/24/2021 at 1:40 AM, KUNG FU BOB said:

Now I know I'm gonna love it. :D

• Like 3