Back To The Shadows - The Ninja Genre Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi @Super Ninja, good points, and what about The Hunted(1995) starring Christopher Lambert?.

How could I forget that one? The train fight alone makes it worthy of the list.

7 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I think it more than deserves to be on the list, even though the ninja are not the main focus of the story. Plus you got Casanova Wong fighting ninjas on the beach at night.

You're absolutely right. I have to admit, if I made that list, I would've included Duel to the Death as well. It's one of those movies you just want to have on your list, praise with it like you made it. It just bothers me sometimes when people tag it as a ninja movie, though not nearly as much as seeing Kung Fu Panda on the best kung fu movies list. One thing's for sure, if that video made just one person watch DTTD, it was worth making.

Casanova fighting the ninjas is a special treat indeed.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

How could I forget that one? The train fight alone makes it worthy of the list.

That was the first scene I caught, when I stumbled upon the film during a late night T.V screening.

21 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

You're absolutely right. I have to admit, if I made that list, I would've included Duel to the Death as well. It's one of those movies you just want to have on your list, praise with it like you made it. I

I was first introduced to this one via the The Best of Martial Art's documentary(1990).

15 Best Ninja Movies Ever Made (Bob Cipman)

- The 15 classic martial-arts films feature some of the best ninja action ever put to screen.

Link- https://screenrant.com/best-ninja-movies-all-time/

• Like 3

This episode we talk to Ninja movie researcher and expert Mance Thompson about the history and development of Ninja movies in Japan and their spread to the United States.  He also gives his recommendations for the best ninja films, and talks about the future of Ninja films.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I was first introduced to this one via the The Best of Martial Art's documentary(1990).

I actually watched this dox a while ago for the first time.

5 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

15 Best Ninja Movies Ever Made (Bob Cipman)

- The 15 classic martial-arts films feature some of the best ninja action ever put to screen.

Link- https://screenrant.com/best-ninja-movies-all-time/

This list is the reason why I watched The Killer Elite (1975). I remember being quite disappointed, but I can't deny its importance.

How about this? Some of the finest from the original ninja boom.

https://vintageninja.net/9-essentials-of-60s-bw-shinobi-cinema/

• Like 3

On 11/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, Super Ninja said:

How about this? Some of the finest from the original ninja boom.

https://vintageninja.net/9-essentials-of-60s-bw-shinobi-cinema/

Thats a great site, there's a lot of gexcellent work gone into the content there. I'm not sure who runs it?, but they know a lot about the ninja genre.

On 11/8/2020 at 10:50 AM, Super Ninja said:

This list is the reason why I watched The Killer Elite (1975). I remember being quite disappointed, but I can't deny its importance.

Yeah I was hoping for a lot more from this one, great cast, great director, but somehow it just missed the mark. Stirling Sililphant co-wrote the script I think?.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2020 at 10:44 AM, DragonClaws said:

Thats a great site, there's a lot of gexcellent work gone into the content there. I'm not sure who runs the it?, but they know a lot about the ninja genre.

Got my first taste of Shinobi cinema there. Don't know who runs it, but I agree, great site.

On 11/11/2020 at 10:44 AM, DragonClaws said:

Yeah I was hoping for a lot more from this one, great cast, great director, but somehow it just missed the mark. Stirling Sililphant co-wrote the script I think?.

Yeah, your memory serves you well, I had to check. Think my greatest problem with KE was the lack of ninja action, but it was foolish of me to expect I'd satisfy my ninja cravings here. However, I'd still say this is one of Peckinpah's weaker films.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 4:17 AM, Super Ninja said:

Think my greatest problem with KE was the lack of ninja action, but it was foolish of me to expect I'd satisfy my ninja cravings here. However, I'd still say this is one of Peckinpah's weaker films.

Im sure how true this is, but the Killer Elite IMDB page says the films violence was trimmed. So the movie could get a PG rating?. All of of Sam Peckinpah's films, had cuts inflicted upon them by the major Hollywood studios.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

The first part you're credited for on the IMDB is "American Ninja" (1985). What memories do you keep of this early experience? How was the atmosphere on the set with director Sam Firstenberg and lead actor Michael Dudikoff? Did the fact you were known by Filipino filmmakers help you to be hired in a Golan Globus prod, as Cannon sometimes subcontracted Filipino companies to shoot the films they distributed?

Actually often Ken Metcalfe did the casting for the Major productions, and he did in this film. Henri Strzalkowski was helping Ken on the set and he encouraged me to do the dialog. I was really scared as the cameras zoomed in on me and Michael Dudikoff. The first take I blew because I was terrified and couldn't speak. I finally got it right. I remember the work was easy and the food was good. I also remember that Dudikoff didn't know a thing about martial arts and Richard Norton (Michael's double) did a lot of the fight scenes. When they had to shoot close-ups of Michael fighting, they had to lead him along kick by kick. Sam Fistenberg was frustrated as the film went over schedule and budget because of Dudikoff's lack of fighting skills. It's not rare to see this in films. David Carradine told me that he didn't know any kung fu when he was shooting the TV series "Kung Fu". That's why they filmed so much of his fighting in slow motion. He did learn kung fu after the series was over and still practices today.

Source- Eric Hahn Interview by John Nada (2005)

Link- https://www.nanarland.com/interviews/entretiens/en/eric-hahn.html

d15dvc1-2575a6b4-b122-4526-86b5-3a01d9f0a85b.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOiIsImlzcyI6InVybjphcHA6Iiwib2JqIjpbW3sicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMWQxMjE0NmMtYjM4ZS00ZDVmLWEyY2UtYzdiYjZhZTIyNmU1XC9kMTVkdmMxLTI1NzVhNmI0LWIxMjItNDUyNi04NmI1LTNhMDFkOWYwYTg1Yi5qcGcifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6ZmlsZS5kb3dubG9hZCJdfQ.Y_Er3JmSIbmjdc4IvZvFgoun270b2rYdG8-otwqZIrg

image soucre- https://www.deviantart.com/eyeofvogler/art/American-Ninja-T-69511393

• Like 2

Mike, Sam and Nathan watch Shadow Hunters 2: Echo of Destiny. Released in 1972 and starring Yujiro Ishihara and directed by Toshio Masuda. Following the events of the first film the trio of sworn ninja killers take a job helping to guard and transport a cannon and the Shogun's ninja spies are after.

Link- https://podcastaddict.com/episode/115579092

• Like 3

FightingFool
7 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

That looks garbage but in a good way. And as Vinegar syndrome sells AGFA titles may very well pick it on Black Friday sale. Or earlier if they release something important before BF.

• Like 1

Die Rückkehr der Ninja - uncut Fassung (in HD neu abgetastet) [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

Anybody know anything about this new German release, is it a new print? No mention of extras in the description so i'm unsure if it's an upgrade on previous versions. There's a listing for Ninja 3 as well, I really like the cover.

Die Herrschaft der Ninja - uncut Fassung (in HD neu abgetastet) [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-rayDie Herrschaft der Ninja - uncut Fassung (in HD neu abgetastet) [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

Edited by andy338
  • Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 2:55 AM, andy338 said:

Die Rückkehr der Ninja - uncut Fassung (in HD neu abgetastet) [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

Anybody know anything about this new German release, is it a new print? No mention of extras in the description so i'm unsure if it's an upgrade on previous versions. There's a listing for Ninja 3 as well, I really like the cover.

Die Herrschaft der Ninja - uncut Fassung (in HD neu abgetastet) [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-rayDie Herrschaft der Ninja - uncut Fassung (in HD neu abgetastet) [Blu-ray]: Amazon.co.uk: DVD & Blu-ray

I wish I could help you out @andy338, if theres anything special about a particular new Martial Arts movie release. It usually get's highlighted by someone on the forum.

• Like 1