Back To The Shadows - The Ninja Genre Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

Anyone have the skills to translate this short interview, promoting Florentine/Adkins movie Ninja(2009).

• Like 1

DragonClaws

‘I’d feel like my blood was boiling’: The true story of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the heroes in a half-shell who shook the world

(By Simon Bland)

Link- https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-movie-anniversary-true-story-a9470761.html

“From morning to lunch, we’d lose five pounds,” says Josh Pais, one of the four performers buried under mounds of latex and state-of-the-art tech to bring the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to life. Three decades may have passed since he and his fellow in-suit stars emerged from the sewers and forever changed the childhoods of an entire generation, but the claustrophobic memories remain. “It was like going into this weird battle,” he laughs. “It was intense.”

tmnt-vinyl.jpg?fit=912,917&ssl=1

Image source- https://www.teenagemutantninjaturtles.com/2018/10/18/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-90s-film-soundtrack-coming-to-vinyl/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Where's Super Ninja?!!

I wouldn't really call Duel to the Death a ninja movie but that's OK.

I'd trade Cyber Ninja for Legend of the Shadowy Ninja, but what about shinobi films? Shinobi No Mono (1962) should be here, as well as Mission: Iron Castle (1970), The Third Ninja (1964) and The Red Shadow (1962) to name a few.

Also, Ninja Busters, Miami Connection and Sakura Killers from the US ones.

Where are Ninja Terminator, Ninja in the Dragon's Den, Ninja Hunter and Ninja - The Final Duel?! And more importantly, where's Super Ninja?!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Super Ninja said:

Where's Super Ninja?!!

Hi @Super Ninja, good points, and what about The Hunted(1995) starring Christopher Lambert?.

Where are Ninja Terminator, Ninja in the Dragon's Den, Ninja Hunter and Ninja - The Final Duel?! And more importantly, where's Super Ninja?!

It would be cool to have a Top Ten Asian ninja movies list/video with these and other titles.

I wouldn't really call Duel to the Death a ninja movie but that's OK.

I think it more than deserves to be on the list, even though the ninja are not the main focus of the story. Plus you got Casanova Wong fighting ninjas on the beach at night.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

This is maybe a little departure from the usual ninjology covered on this blog but I believe The VelociPastor (2018) deserves its place in the ninja canon. Not only do you get plenty of bokken for your buck (I’ve seen films with Ninja in the title that have far less ninjing than this) and direct references to deep ninja cuts but it also is full of SUPREME NINJA SPIRIT. Like, genuinely, I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking this looks like one of those depressingly ironic joyless CGI messes that litter the streaming services but it’s not. There’s knowledge and real heart behind this and I highly recommend it to ninjologists at all levels of study.

The VelociPastor (2018)

Link- https://ninjasallthewaydown.wordpress.com/

• Like 2