Back To The Shadows - The Ninja Genre Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

Just found this thread!

Ninja's were absolutely one of my first martial arts loves, even going so far as to sign up for 'ninjutsu' lessons way, way back in the mid 80's in Scotland ( run by an extremely shady dude, with zero qualifications and a definite cash grab, he just got us to do forced stretches and punch each other repeatedly in the shoulders 🤣 think I lasted 2 or 3 months after realizing ( aged 10 at the time) that the guy was a clown and knew nothing.

But recently watched Philip Kwok / Kuo Chou's directorial debut ( one of the 5 Deadly Venoms) called Ninja in the Deadly Trap for the first time, its pretty cheeseball, but very entertaining!

The whole movie is up (in horrendous quality )on youtube..

Ninja in the Deadly Trap ( 1981)

Also maybe worth mentioning is the pretty awful 'NInja in the Dragon's Den' starring a young Conan Lee, which has a truly amazing opening theme song, and ninja laden opening sequence....

Ninja in the Dragon's Den - opening sequence..

from more recent years, i actually really liked the Wachowski written 'Ninja Assassin' starring Rain and Sho Kusugi

• Like 3

DragonClaws
On 7/23/2019 at 1:32 PM, LiuYiLong said:

Just found this thread!

Hi @LiuYiLong, glad you found the thread.

from more recent years, i actually really liked the Wachowski written 'Ninja Assassin' starring Rain and Sho Kusugi

This was pretty good for what it was, it didnt hold the same on repeat viewing's.

Also maybe worth mentioning is the pretty awful 'NInja in the Dragon's Den' starring a young Conan Lee, which has a truly amazing opening theme song, and ninja laden opening sequence....

I've watched a lot of the cheap Taiwanese ninja stuff, this one has passed me by somehow.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I've watched a lot of the cheap Taiwanese ninja stuff, this one has passed me by somehow. 

I wouldn't race out to find it, but there is a pretty decent HKL DVD around, that I've seen for £1 or £2 many times in CEX , And as cheesy as it is, its pretty good fun in places.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
8 hours ago, LiuYiLong said:

I wouldn't race out to find it, but there is a pretty decent HKL DVD around, that I've seen for £1 or £2 many times in CEX , And as cheesy as it is, its pretty good fun in places.

Sorry, I should have quoted Ninja in THe Deadly Trap, rather than Ninja in The Dragons Den.

• Like 1

maxresdefault.jpgmiamiconnection-4-e1552060224221.jpg

Screen-shot-2012-09-19-at-12.51.13-PM.pn

Yashito, the ninja leader of Miami Connection. The character was played by Korean martial art master Si Y Jo. However, upon shooting the final fight between him and Dragon Squad guitarist/TKD master Mark (YK Kim), Jo had already returned to Korea. Instead, the character would be played by YK Kim's protege William Ergle, who also played biker gang leader Jeff in the film.

• Like 3

New Japanese ninja flick, set of October 2019 release.

At the end of Edo era in Japan, when the reign of Samurai was also coming to an end, so-called Ninja was way behind the times. “Ryu”, who is a descendant of “Ge-Nin”, the lowermost of the Ninja society, was commanded to secretly take a princess out of the house of Edo’s leading Samurai, and to send her back home to Satsuma. As he desired to get away from his oppressed life, Ryu desperately wanted the reward more than anything else. But the recaptured princess “Shizuka” was strong‐minded, stubborn, and hard to deal with. She had a strong hate against her parents’ house since they have forced her to marry the Samurai so that she could be taken as hostage.

Source- https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/last-ninja-red-shadow-lands-in-october-for-samurai-cat-directors-new-ninja-thriller/

• Like 3

On 7/27/2019 at 8:36 AM, DragonClaws said:

Sorry, I should have quoted Ninja in THe Deadly Trap, rather than Ninja in The Dragons Den. 

Do definitely track down Deadly Trap! _ its really good fun! I enjoyed it more than some of the official Shaw's Venom Mob movies ( No Lo Meng or Sun Chien in it though sadly)

But the other three main Venoms all in fine form.

There is a Tai Seng DVD of it, but I  don't think its widescreen.

I have some poor quality digital copies of both english dub and original taiwanese mandarin if you struggle to find it let me know and I'll send you the mp4 files.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 10:47 PM, LiuYiLong said:

Do definitely track down Deadly Trap! _ its really good fun! I enjoyed it more than some of the official Shaw's Venom Mob movies ( No Lo Meng or Sun Chien in it though sadly)

It's one I really should have sat through by now @LiuYiLong.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:47 PM, LiuYiLong said:

I have some poor quality digital copies of both english dub and original taiwanese mandarin if you struggle to find it let me know and I'll send you the mp4 files.

Thank you for the offer, I appreciate it.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:13 PM, DragonClaws said:

It's one I really should have sat through by now @LiuYiLong.

Thank you for the offer, I appreciate it.

anytime!

'its nice to be nice' ;)

• Like 2

Iko Uwais has since been confirmed for a role in Snake Eye's, playing the Hard Master. The Baroness role has also recently been cast, @AlbertV posted some further news in the following thread.

NOV120371_11.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2