Back To The Shadows - The Ninja Genre Appreciation Thread

DragonClaws

Snake Eyes is a silent ninja commando who dresses in all black, never reveals his face, and doesn’t speak.

Robert Schwentke To Direct G.I. Joe Spin-Off, SNAKE EYES, For Paramount (Film Combat Syndicate)

Link- https://filmcombatsyndicate.com/robert-schwentke-to-direct-g-i-joe-spin-off-snake-eyes-for-paramount/

dd67d35353b5aeff946bff29645a2410.jpg

• Like 1

Ace action cinema Director, Issac Florentine, directs Scott Adkins in Ninja(2009).

10885410_903636522979725_222062633203852

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

More Ninja related action on the way, in the form of animated movie, Checkered Ninja, thanks to @whitesnake, for the head's up on this one.

Click on the link below, for more detials.

And thanks to @Karlos, for posting the following Web-Series news.

Samurai Blood, comic-book cover-art, by artist Jo Chen.

f8527f02187e5a782ce9ebc51bc1ca74.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 3

hanshotfirst1138

I wish that Vudu would hurry up and get Ninja: Shadow of a Tear already. It’s never going to win any Oscars, but for bang for your buck, it gives you more great fight scenes than most Hollywood movies. 

Edited by hanshotfirst1138
  • Like 1

IFD/Filmark's  ninja movies were a genre all their own, and deserve a thread dedicated to them. Click on the link below, to get your fix of, far out low budget action cinema, Godfrey Ho style. Thanks to @ThunderScore, for creating this original thread.

c02e85db6be28c053bff3d285410d2e7.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

The year was 2006, and it was my first visit to Hollywood. Whom did I choose to meet first on that day? The foremost name in ninja movies: Sho Kosugi. There I was, standing in his office in the heart of Tinseltown, having just wrapped an hourlong interview on the master movie ninja’s life, career and plans for the future, and the camera crew was making its way around the room, getting pickup shots. I was thrilled to have spent an hour hanging with my boyhood hero when Sho Kosugi upped the excitement ante a notch.

10 Things You Didnt Know About Sho Kosugi And Ninja Warriors

Link- https://blackbeltmag.com/arts/japanese-arts/10-things-you-didnt-know-about-sho-kosugi-and-ninja-warriors

revenge-of-the-ninja-lg.jpg

black-belt-photo-sho-kosugi-650-450-300.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

DragonClaws

Sho Kosugi will be making a U.S convention appearance, in April 2019, thanks to @thekfc, for the head's up on this one.

Click on the link below, for more information.

MV5BMTM1NTA3ODEzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjM2

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

DragonClaws

The finale from Ronny Yu's, Postman Strikes Back(1982), Courier Ma(Leung Kar-Yan) battles lethal ninja Hsiu(Eddie Ko). The 80's ninja craze had reached such heights by 1982, that it's image was seeping into many Martial Arts and action films of the era.

• Like 1

Did anybody ever mention about the Ninja film Onmitsu Kenshi?  Plenty of Ninja action, it starred actor Ose Koichi.  When Koichi got much older, he acted as the elder Sensei in the TV series Kendo Masshigura.  He acted as Asari Matashichiro, head of the Asari dojo.  

• Like 2

DragonClaws
12 hours ago, Shosetsu said:

Did anybody ever mention about the Ninja film Onmitsu Kenshi?  Plenty of Ninja action, it starred actor Ose Koichi.  When Koichi got much older, he acted as the elder Sensei in the TV series Kendo Masshigura.  He acted as Asari Matashichiro, head of the Asari dojo.  

I dont think this has been mentioned in th thread at all, @Shosetsu, is this an older Japanese production?.

Edited by DragonClaws

@DragonClaws To answer your question--yes, I guess you could call it old if you consider the 1960s old, because it came out in the early 60s.  I never heard about it until a man from Australia mentioned it to me because he told me the actor was popular in Australia during that time.  That is, the actor Ose Koichi.   So popular that actor Koichi even made live stage-performances in Melbourne and Sydney.  When he made stage performances in Australia they would use a trampoline  so he could jump and tumble onto the stage.  

So it was not Bruce Lee but instead Ose Koichi who was the very first Oriental martial artist to make it big in the Western world.

• Like 2

@DragonClaws

Let me also add that the Onmitsu Kenshi series also included the actor Ryuji Shinagawa.  Shinagawa was a popular comedian at that time, most notably in the television series Hanayama Daikichi where he co-starred with Konoe Jushiro who acted as Daikichi.  Jushiro's character was a regular Swordsman but Shinagawa played a Yakuza. The series had a classic comedic scene where Shinagawa thought his clothing had fleas.  So he took off all his clothes except his loin-cloth, and laid his clothes on the ground and began looking for fleas.

• Like 2

DragonClaws
On 3/17/2019 at 5:42 AM, Shosetsu said:

So it was not Bruce Lee but instead Ose Koichi who was the very first Oriental martial artist to make it big in the Western world.

Thanks for the information @Shosetsu, looks like he was the first Asian action star to make it big in the West.

The Birth of the Ninja: How The West Came To Embrace Ninjer

Link- http://www.theshogunshouse.com/2013/10/the-birth-of-ninja-how-west-came-to.html

Koichi Ose

ose.jpg

• Like 1

DragonClaws

The Snake Eyes big screen spin-off movie is still in early development, but if succesful. It may lead to a series of GI-Joe/Ninja themed movies?.

3818450-5321710451-21753.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1