What is The Most Disturbing/Scary Horror Film You've Seen

Hei Meigui

I know that this thread is called "What is The Most Disturbing/Scariest Horror Movie You've Ever Seen", but I just want to say that the funniest horror movie that I've ever seen is probably Out of the Dark in which Stephen Chow stars as a retarded ghost hunter. Flawless concept.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Well as far as scary monster movies, Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue  (1974 a.k.a. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie) is so filled with creepy and sometimes claustrophobic atmosphere, I occasionally have to stop it even though I know the story (and it's a great tweak on Night of the Living Dead.) More often than not,  I can't get through this without shutting it off at some point before the crypt scene. The foggy English countryside, the unnerving red eyed zombies and their very unsettling death rattle moans, the even more evil fascist police who think a couple of nice hippies are to blame for all the deaths...gah.   Not even Ray Lovelock at his most lovely can see me through when things get too creepy. When I can muster it, it's a fun horror film and my favorite zombie movie to boot. 

:bs_shattered:

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 1

Most disturbing? Man Behind the Sun. Can't say films really scare me these days. Night of the Living dead was creepy the first time I seen it as a child.

Secret Executioner

Well as far as scary monster movies, Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue  (1974 a.k.a. Let Sleeping Corpses Lie) is so filled with creepy and sometimes claustrophobic atmosphere, I occasionally have to stop it even though I know the story (and it's a great tweak on Night of the Living Dead.) More often than not,  I can't get through this without shutting it off at some point before the crypt scene. The foggy English countryside, the unnerving red eyed zombies and their very unsettling death rattle moans, the even more evil fascist police who think a couple of nice hippies are to blame for all the deaths...gah.   Not even Ray Lovelock at his most lovely can see me through when things get too creepy. When I can muster it, it's a fun horror film and my favorite zombie movie to boot. 

:bs_shattered:

Never seen this one, but the way you describe it and its atmosphere makes it very interesting. I find movies like that with intense atmosphere always interesting, especially when it's horror.

Not an horror movie, but I would like to bring up the infamous Mel Gibson directed 2004 effort The Passion of Christ. I saw a review by Internet critics Nostalgia Critic and Cinema Snob, and I must say I found the footage off the film they showed pretty graphic. I heard about the movie because of the overly violent and gore orientation, and I must say I understand why it raised controversy. The effects are very well done and even as someone who can take a lot in terms of visuals, I found the way it looks somewhat disturbing.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Never seen this one, but the way you describe it and its atmosphere makes it very interesting. I find movies like that with intense atmosphere always interesting, especially when it's horror.

Not an horror movie, but I would like to bring up the infamous Mel Gibson directed 2004 effort The Passion of Christ. I saw a review by Internet critics Nostalgia Critic and Cinema Snob, and I must say I found the footage off the film they showed pretty graphic. I heard about the movie because of the overly violent and gore orientation, and I must say I understand why it raised controversy. The effects are very well done and even as someone who can take a lot in terms of visuals, I found the way it looks somewhat disturbing.

This taps into the atmosphere and creep a little bit...

The Ring (the original and the best), i am not much of a horror movie fan, but The Ring is the scariest thing I have watched.  I am nearly 40yrs old, and I can still vision the chick crawling out of the tv, gives me the creeps.  I watched it on an old tube TV at my parents place in the dark, man I didn't sleep well well that night, wondering if the chick is creeping around in the house....lol

• Like 2

The Ring (the original and the best), i am not much of a horror movie fan, but The Ring is the scariest thing I have watched.  I am nearly 40yrs old, and I can still vision the chick crawling out of the tv, gives me the creeps.  I watched it on an old tube TV at my parents place in the dark, man I didn't sleep well well that night, wondering if the chick is creeping around in the house....lol

Yes this is THE scariest moment for me as well, Sadako slowly inching her way forwards towards you and then BOOM straight out of the TV and into your room is just the stuff of nightmares. :bs_overwhelmed:

Cognoscente

I'm surprised that no film-maker has ever attempted to tell the real life story of Issei Sagawa - the cannibalistic rapist. That would have been perfect subject matter for a Category III movie.

• Like 2

Well, when I was a kid "Nightmare on Elm Street" scared me so bad that I couldn't really sleep for a week. Also "It" gave me a clown phobia that lasted for a long time. Recently "Paranormal Activity" legit spooked me out so bad that I actually caught myself looking over my shoulder while watching it. Something I haven't done since I was little. 

• Like 2

Disturbing? Probably Untold Story.

Scary? I was freaked out by Prince of Darkness when I saw that as a teenager.

Super Ninja
On 5/15/2021 at 11:34 PM, Cognoscente said:

I'm surprised that no film-maker has ever attempted to tell the real life story of Issei Sagawa - the cannibalistic rapist.

Maybe not but you might be interested to know Sagawa had a role in a controversial pinku movie called The Bedroom (1992) directed by the one and only Hisayasu Sato, director of Naked Blood (1996). Guess Sato was the only one crazy enough to offer him a role.

On 5/15/2021 at 2:34 PM, Cognoscente said:

I'm surprised that no film-maker has ever attempted to tell the real life story of Issei Sagawa - the cannibalistic rapist. That would have been perfect subject matter for a Category III movie.

I remember the first time I came across his name was in Parfrey's Apocalpyse Culture and the chapter devoted to his crimes was very graphic with some nauseating crime scene photos of his poor victim! :envy

Cognoscente

Sagawa would have been on a field day with those Japanese Guinea Pig movies.

As for his crime, I regretted doing a Google Image search to find out what he looked like. I didn't eat meat for a long time (and I lost weight as a result).

Audition. I think of the moment with the bag and the ending and it is horrific.

Also Arachnophobia. Brilliant film but absolutely terrifying.

Threads is the bleakest film I've ever seen. It realistically depicts the after effects of nuclear war on Britain.

Eden Lake. A British film about a couple terrorised by a gang of youths. The characters are so relentlessly nasty.

Edited by SamSeed

On 5/22/2021 at 10:22 PM, SamSeed said:

Also Arachnophobia. Brilliant film but absolutely terrifying.

You might like the below movie which was advertised in the August '76 issue of Shaw's Movie News.

76 aug.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Chu Liu Hsiang

When I was a kid I saw this movie DON'T LOOK NOW when I was not allowed to watch it and there was a scene that kinda hunted me for years. Funnily I know several people who have the same issue with this movie. I have not seen it since and don't know if it's really that scary or if I was easily impressionable at that age. If you know the movie, it's the scene where they follow the small figure in the red hood up a narrow staircase and then the figure turns around ..

When watching THE RING I found the scene with the horse really disturbing, such an awful atmosphere. 

I've seen about 5 minutes of one of the SAW movies. There was nothing nasty to be seen but that voice explaining the situation to the unfortunate prisoner created pictures in the head which is worse than any movie blood and gore. 

Not much into the genre. 

Edited by Chu Liu Hsiang
  • Like 1

Drunken Monk

I've always been a massive fan from horror and considered myself pretty tough when it came to scary movies throughout my teens and twenties. I was never really all that frightened. But the more mature I've gotten, the more things tend to creep me out. They might not terrify me, per se...but I do get spooked.

I find the phone calls in the original Black Christmas to be super eerie. They make my flesh crawl.

I think the Paranormal Activity movies are genuinely scary at times. They're definitely the films that have made me feel spooked the most. I believe I even closed my eyes for a second or two when watching Paranormal Activity 2 in the cinema.

Weirdly, Psycho 2 has a scene that creeps me out a lot. The scene where the girl is on the upstairs phone and Norman is on the downstairs phone and she's pretending to be his mother. She hangs up the phone and Norman continues to talk to his mother. Eerie.

Though I've seen it a million times now and its effects have worn off, The Strangers was a film I found awfully creepy back in the day. To this day, my wife won't watch it as she hates home invasion movies. They're too real for her.

• Like 1

sifu iron perm

It can change for various of reasons,i may suggest a title that many will disagree due to it being old or outdated? There are several horror films or horror/chiller tv episodes that ruined my sleep pattern as a young kid.

The Exorcist for me is the pound for pound greatest and scariest horror film ever! That's gold dust.

Salem's lot (tobe hooper tv made film) was split into two parts. This was made well and had one of the most chilling scenes on my tv screen back in early 80's.

American Werewolf in London- the transformation, atmosphere, dream sequences were just too much to take, absolute genius.

The Thing- like with AWIL, it the sfx and soundtrack willo stick with you forever..some WTF and gruesome scenes all in the name of sci fi and horror.

Rosemary's Baby- the intense and paranoia just keeps pushing for more questions and less answers with a punishing ending for the antagonist and us, the audience members..a truly well made Horror.

Irreversible is far from a horror but the entire experience is more horrifying than most fictitious horror yarns, this was disturbing from the beginning to hmmm that very sick scene in the tunnel pathway.

Possession (1981) & Xtro (1982). Both watched on vhs when visiting my uncle in germany. We got hold of the english language versions so it certainly played a more intricate and messed up part in my mind. I watched both before hitting puberty so watching a lady giving birth to a grown man and a lady making love to a lovecraftian alien beast was another dimension's of mental torture.

Edited by sifu iron perm
  • Like 3

Black Christmas would be my pick. The camerawork, the haunting music, the creepy voice behind the phone calls... Very thrilling and disturbing!

• Like 1
  • Buddha Bless You 1

sifu iron perm
1 hour ago, DiP said:

Black Christmas would be my pick. The camerawork, the haunting music, the creepy voice behind the phone calls... Very thrilling and disturbing!

One of the most chilling films ever! The phone calls enough were disturbing!

• Like 2