Classic Martial Arts Films

Hei Meigui

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a huge fan of today's movies but here are some classics.Warriors Two(Sammo Hung) 8 diagram pole fighters(Lau kar Leung) Police Story(Jackie Chan) Fist Of Fury(Bruce Lee) The Victim(Sammo Hung) Yes Madam(Michele Yeoh) :thumbsup

Guest Anonymous

Karate Kid, Bloodsport, Kickboxer, The Octogon, Enter The Dragon, Fists Of Fury, Return of The Dragon, War of the Shaolin Temple, Shaolin Drunk Fighter, 36 Chambers of Shaolin, Invincible Armour, Secret Rivals, Secret Rivals 2, Secret Master, Born Invincible, Drunken Master, Drunken Master 2, 5 Element Ninjas, Shogun Assassin, The Street Fighter, Fighter In The Wind.

Just show them some western movies to get them turned onto martial arts, slowly bring them into the old hong kong films vie chuck norris and bruce lee, then get them into ninja movie and samurai, and things like that.

You may have to give them western stuff first, then slowly get them to like shaw brothers movies and do not spoil them with modern asian films yet, make sure they keep an appreciation for oldschool kung fu by showing them awesome films. Then give them the more modern asian films so they are well rounded. If you just go straight to modern hong kong and japanese movies they will not enjoy the finer arts of the oldschool possibly. This is because millenials are lazy and spoiled and most people new to the genre will be millenials who will text during the movies.

Guest Anonymous
I'm not a huge fan of today's movies but here are some classics.Warriors Two(Sammo Hung) 8 diagram pole fighters(Lau kar Leung) Police Story(Jackie Chan) Fist Of Fury(Bruce Lee) The Victim(Sammo Hung) Yes Madam(Michele Yeoh) :thumbsup

All of those are great choices!!

Secret Executioner

My "fantastic four":

Fist Of Fury (Bruce Lee's best)

The 36th Chamber Of Shaolin (a fine Shaw movie by Liu Chia Liang and starring Gordon Liu - can't go wrong)

Master Of The Flying Guillotine (Wang Yu, OTT stuff going on and a great soundtrack)

Drunken Master (Jackie vs. Hwang Jang Lee)

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I'd add The Odd Couple, The New One Armed Swordsman, Avenging Eagle to those already mentioned.

I'd definitely say these are the big three (similar to SE's list). All of these are quintessential viewings:

36th Chamber of Shaolin (duh :tongueout )

Fist of Fury (my favorite Bruce Lee movie)

Drunken Master (one of the first kung fu movies I ever saw)

I won't repeat some of the great choices that have already come up, but I think "Heroes of the East" and "Prodigal Son" are also two titles that would serve well as an introduction to the wonderful world of Martial Arts movies.

So far I would say The Crippled Avengers and Martial Club. I also got a copy of one of the founding films of Kung Fu/Wuxia A Touch of Zen. It was hard to get a real copy ant it really sets the tone for what was to come.

Fist of fury, fist of legend, 36 chambers of shaolin, crippled avengers, fearless, police story, enter the dragon, ip man 1&2, Master of the flying guillotine, the victim, legend of drunken master and drunken master, wheels on meals, king boxer, one armed swordsman, karate kid, bloodsport, martial club, killzone, five deadly venoms, once upon a time in China, 8 diagram pole fighters, iron monkey, shogun assassin, kid with the golden arm, mad monkey kung fu, street fighter, the duel, secret rivals 1&2, and the raid.. I'll stop but I think they're must sees

Secret Executioner
Fist of fury, fist of legend, 36 chambers of shaolin, crippled avengers, fearless, police story, enter the dragon, ip man 1&2, Master of the flying guillotine, the victim, legend of drunken master and drunken master, wheels on meals, king boxer, one armed swordsman, karate kid, bloodsport, martial club, killzone, five deadly venoms, once upon a time in China, 8 diagram pole fighters, iron monkey, shogun assassin, kid with the golden arm, mad monkey kung fu, street fighter, the duel, secret rivals 1&2, and the raid.. I'll stop but I think they're must sees

Shit, I think I've only seen like half of those. Though I still have some that I have but still need to watch.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I'll chime back in with two more recommendations, Vengeance! and The Loot *(if you can find a good copy)

And I'll second The Victim. That was the movie that reawoke my long dormant sleeping fist, erm, fan.  

Archived