What's Your Best/Biggest Score, Asian Film-Wise?

Hei Meigui

What was the best movie in Asian Cinema MA or non MA related you were able to get. I needed to clarify what I meant. What was was the rarest, most difficult movie to find or what movie had you wanted for the longest time that you were finally able to buy or see.

For example I was trying to find a copy of the Asian film the Ashes of Time by Wong Kar-wai. He made that film years ago and then it was lost. He never liked the original edit so he did a remake and it was called Ashes of Time Redux. It had different dialogue and lots of good scenes and characters were cut out. I first heard about the original version on the old KFC forum talking about different edits of films.

I was finally able to get a complete dvd version of the original but it was expensive!

I hope that clarifies things!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
legendarycurry

Sammo Hung's Prodigal Son is my personal favorite martial arts film so I'm very happy that I own it :)   but in terms of rare things that I'm very glad to own: I'm very happy that I found the VCD  version of "Bullet In The Head" ten years ago at a market in China. it costed less than a dollar and it was the official VCD with the "boardroom ending" etc :)

Secret Executioner

Tough one. I've stated there was a little stinky bunch I didn't enjoy in the "worst ever" thread, but there are way more great movies from Asia to choose from. Even sticking to the two specific types of films I mainly watch (MA and Kaiju Eiga) makes the choice difficult.

I guess I'm a little slow, but I don't understand the question. What does "What was your biggest score in an Asian film" mean?

Secret Executioner
I guess I'm a little slow, but I don't understand the question. What does "What was your biggest score in an Asian film" mean?

I assume it means what's your favorite Asian film.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe it means what movie did you get for a really low price that is worth more than you paid for and also rare to find?

Thanks for asking for clarification! I could probably word things better if it wasn't like 2 or 3 am!!! :laugh:sleepy

Guest Anonymous

I ordered Duel to the Death around 2003 from Blockbuster Video back in the day. It was VHS and a good copy. NO ONE ANYWHERE had this movie. I paid about 23 bucks for it.

Then, what 3 or 4 years later Walmart has the DVD version in their stupid $5 bin. Kind of sad for me but whatever...

Thanks for asking for clarification! I could probably word things better if it wasn't like 2 or 3 am!!! :laugh:sleepy

Well then, I thank you for the clarification! :smile

I'm a collector of original DVD's so I've had some great rare finds over the years. I mean, that's what keeps collectors going, right? The thrill of the hunt! :nodding

I enjoy when I am able to score some of the alternate cuts of Hong Kong films that were released in other countries (mostly Taiwan). The "suicide" ending to "Comet, Butterfly and Sword" or the longer version of "A Better Tomorrow III", for instance.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Well nabbing a new copy of the Funimation Invincible Shaolin for $12 was wonderful and obtaining the IVL versions of the Venoms films I did not have was great too (especially all under $20.)

I won't pay more than $30 for a movie now (I went over a couple of times, but bigger financial priorities loom.)

I might pick up a couple more under $30 IVLs once my computer situation is sorted, but outside of new iTunes Shaws, I am winding down for the time being.

Well then, I thank you for the clarification! :smile

I'm a collector of original DVD's so I've had some great rare finds over the years. I mean, that's what keeps collectors going, right? The thrill of the hunt! :nodding

I enjoy when I am able to score some of the alternate cuts of Hong Kong films that were released in other countries (mostly Taiwan). The "suicide" ending to "Comet, Butterfly and Sword" or the longer version of "A Better Tomorrow III", for instance.

Yes!!! Due to that old thread on the KFC forum on alternate endings I was able to score the version of Butterfly and Sword that had the suicide ending!!

It would be the same thing with A Better Tomorrow and Bullet tin the Head.

The only copy of The Jade Raksha I can find is $100 for the VCD. I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it but it would have to be worth it.

There are a few Amazon and Ebay sellers I trust that I could put out on the hunt for it though.

Just bought a copy of The Jade Raksha from Far East Flix for $10. Fareastflix.com . John in customer service has been an amazing help. Can't recommend these guys any higher. Last night I watched a copy of The Devil's Mirror that I bought from them. Huge scores in my SB Collection.

Secret Executioner
Well nabbing a new copy of the Funimation Invincible Shaolin for $12 was wonderful and obtaining the IVL versions of the Venoms films I did not have was great too (especially all under $20.)

I won't pay more than $30 for a movie now (I went over a couple of times, but bigger financial priorities loom.)

I might pick up a couple more under $30 IVLs once my computer situation is sorted, but outside of new iTunes Shaws, I am winding down for the time being.

If getting an IVL under $20 is a good deal, I guess all my IVLs were good deal - the most I paid for one was $14.49 on yesasia. :tongueout

More on topic, a really sweet deal I got was the hard to find French release of the Rebirth Of Mothra trilogy - paid 10€ for the three movies (that are sold normally separately). I just checked the prices on amazon.fr and while the first two films can be found at decent prices (below 10€ each), the third film goes for over 20€.

Just bought a copy of The Jade Raksha from Far East Flix for $10. Fareastflix.com . John in customer service has been an amazing help. Can't recommend these guys any higher. Last night I watched a copy of The Devil's Mirror that I bought from them. Huge scores in my SB Collection.

Is it a legit site or are they "copies"? I like getting the original versions as much as possible, or the remastered official versions. My movies are usually region 3 I have an all region dvd player.

They are copies, but the best ones I've ever seen. I also buy legit copies when available, but some are financially prohibitive. I just saw a copy of Vengeance of a Snow Girl on eBay for $127. That's ridiculous and a case for paying $10 for a copy.

Guest Anonymous

Exactly!!!!

Guest Anonymous
The only copy of The Jade Raksha I can find is $100 for the VCD. I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it but it would have to be worth it.

There are a few Amazon and Ebay sellers I trust that I could put out on the hunt for it though.

You would actually pay $100 for a movie? Are you serious!

Guest Anonymous

Do any of you try and collect the DVDs or VHS that have "original" artwork and are no re-done by another company?

Yes if it was a classic OOP original that was good and in good condition I would. It would have to be legit though.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

If getting an IVL under $20 is a good deal, I guess all my IVLs were good deal - the most I paid for one was $14.49 on yesasia. :tongueout

More on topic, a really sweet deal I got was the hard to find French release of the Rebirth Of Mothra trilogy - paid 10€ for the three movies (that are sold normally separately). I just checked the prices on amazon.fr and while the first two films can be found at decent prices (below 10€ each), the third film goes for over 20€.

I've spent stupid amounts of $ on Italian genre films, but the most for these has been almost $50 for a new copy of the Funimation Shaolin Rescuers. I cannot see spending almost $50 on a very good IVL of Clan Feuds though (there's a copy on eBay right now.)

The only way I would pay that is if it was a true original and rare OOP version copy.

Archived