Craziest, Weirdest, Most Bizzare Weapons In Kung Fu Movies

DrNgor

On β€Ž12β€Ž/β€Ž28β€Ž/β€Ž2018 at 11:28 PM, DragonClaws said:

Β 

Thanks for that, did the Yuen Cllan use the Oddball character again?, didnt appear in Shaolin Drunkard(1983) too?.

I don't recall it in any other Yuen Clan movies. I'm almost certain it wasn't in Shaolin Drunkard (I'd need to rewatch it though).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shosetsu said:

The one I saw was what I wouldΒ describe as a cage-type design like the bars of a cage except the bars curve together into an oval shape.

Β 

Do you mean this weapon? @Shosetsu, the Monk's Cudgel Staff?.

Β 

Β 

monks-cudgel-staff-1861500.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Β 

Do you mean this weapon? @Shosetsu, the Monk's Cudgel Staff?.

Β 

Β 

monks-cudgel-staff-1861500.jpg

Yep, DragonClaws, you're right.Β  You're clicking on all cylinders,Β DC.Β That's why this is one of my favorite threads. DragonClaws, my hat's off to you.

• Like 3

Just saw the movieΒ CruelΒ KillerΒ Β in whichΒ a combatant's weapon is aΒ bench.Β Β 

At first glance, you might think that this idea is just for the movies. But I remember reading in a Kung Fu magazine during the 1970s which featured anΒ entire article on the use of the bench as anΒ actual weapon.Β  Β The article had actual photographs showing moves and techniques step-by-step.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shosetsu said:

At first glance, you might think that this idea is just for the movies. But I remember reading in a Kung Fu magazine during the 1970s which featured anΒ entire article on the use of the bench as anΒ actual weapon.Β  Β The article had actual photographs showing moves and techniques step-by-step.

Β 

Β 

If you want to see the true Master, of Bench Fu, watch Yuen Biao, as Number Four, in The Young Master(1980), that's if you havent already.

Β 

Β 

"Your sons a bit weird, he carries a bench around all day, and hardly says a word to anyone" Lung (Jackie Chan)

Β 

yb.jpg

Β 

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 5

On 2/24/2019 at 8:27 AM, DragonClaws said:

Β 

Β 

If you want to see the true Master, of Bench Fu, watch Yuen Biao, as Number Four, in The Young Master(1980), that's if you havent already.

Β 

Β 

"Your sons a bit weird, he carries a bench around all day, and hardly says a word to anyone" Lung (Jackie Chan)

Β 

yb.jpg

Β 

When I saw the bench-fu, itΒ rang a bell for me so IΒ checked inΒ my closet where IΒ store my memorabilia.Β  There I found an issue of Kung Fu MagazineΒ from November 1999.Β  It had a feature on classic weapons and Tat Mau Wong's 3 schools in California which emphasizes training in those weapons.Β  Among them was the horse bench whose technique was shown in 7Β photographs sequentially.

This raises the question as to how many of you keep a collection of those old magazines?Β  So far, I haven't run across any thread here.

Β 

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

Dude, the first time I saw Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars and Sammo took up the tennis rackets to take on Kurata with his sai...man, that owned me. Sheer genius, I tell you!!!

• Like 4

DragonClaws
On 2/27/2019 at 9:32 PM, Shosetsu said:

This raises the question as to how many of you keep a collection of those old magazines?Β  So far, I haven't run across any thread here.

Β 

I have small collection of different MA magazines at my parents house, nothing rare or that special.

Β 

Some Bench Fu briefly on display, in this Hong Kong promo trailer.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Β 

I have small collection of different MA magazines at my parents house, nothing rare or that special.

Β 

Some Bench Fu briefly on display, in this Hong Kong promo trailer.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Nice clip @DragonClawsΒ  Β WhileΒ the horse bench might be considered as weird by the Western-World, it actually seems to be a traditional classic weapon among the Chinese as seen from itsΒ appearances at public events like the one you showed.

It should be noted that the public demonstration was done solo but the one from the magazine had the Bench pitted against the Kwan-do.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

I think Jackie Chan fighting with a ladder in "Police Story 4: First Strike" was probably the craziest(And firggin awesome!)Β weapon I can think of. Well, that and the "Guillotine Hat" from "Master of the Flying Guillotine".Β 

• Like 3

Hwang Jung-Lee used two different strange weapons I remember.

Secret Rivals 2: A pair of short staff weapon that he can spin when he opens his hands.Β James PaxΒ uses a similar weapon inΒ Big Trouble in Little China

2b1e3727c5680db76a50b9ccc3ca7746.gif

Ninja in the Dragon's Den: He uses a giant stress ball as a weapon against Hiroyuki Sanada and Conan Lee until Sanada blows it up in a goofy gag.

giphy.gif

Β 

Β 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, AlbertV said:

Hwang Jung-Lee used two different strange weapons I remember.

Secret Rivals 2: A pair of short staff weapon that he can spin when he opens his hands.Β James PaxΒ uses a similar weapon inΒ Big Trouble in Little China

2b1e3727c5680db76a50b9ccc3ca7746.gif

Ninja in the Dragon's Den: He uses a giant stress ball as a weapon against Hiroyuki Sanada and Conan Lee until Sanada blows it up in a goofy gag.

giphy.gif

Β 

Β 

Those little staffs are hilarious. lol

• Like 2

Β 

Β @DrNgor, just how common do think the smoker's pipe is in Hong Kong Martial Arts cinema?. Sure I've seen pipe's used for defence. Such as the scene from Dreadnought(1981) with Kwan Tak-Hing and Fung Hak-On tailor assassin.

Β 

It's rumoured that @OpiumKungFuCracker is well versed in the use of this weapon?.

Β 

Below is an article from an old Chinese Kung Fu magazine, featuring Chan Tat Fut sifu of Choy Lay Fut Kung-Fu, presenting some fighting applications with the Chinese tobacco water pipe. Chan sifu is well known to many of us visiting Hong Kong regularly – almost everybody has visited his Kung-Fu weapons shop in Sham Shui Po.

Source- http://naamkyun.com/2012/02/rare-kung-fu-weapons-the-tobacco-water-pipe/

rare-kung-fu-weapons-44.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, DragonClaws said:

Β @DrNgor, just how common do think the smoker's pipe is in Hong Kong Martial Arts cinema?. Sure I've seen pipe's used for defence. Such as the scene from Dreadnought(1981) with Kwan Tak-Hing and Fung Hak-On tailor assassin.

Lau Kar Wing's use of snake style with a pipe in Knockabout is one of my favourites. Β 

snake pipe.gif

• Like 2

On 6/13/2019 at 11:43 AM, AlbertV said:

Secret Rivalsο»Ώ 2: A pair of sο»Ώο»Ώhort staff weapon that he can spin when he opens ο»Ώhisο»Ώο»Ώ hands.Β James PaxΒ uses a similar wο»Ώο»Ώeapon inΒ Big Trouble in Little Chinaο»Ώ

I believe those are called Emei Piercers. They also show up in KNIFE OF DEVIL'S ROARING AND SOUL MISSING with Dorian Tan Tao-Liang.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Β 

Β @DrNgor, just how common do think the smoker's pipe is in Hong Kong Martial Arts cinema?. Sure I've seen pipe's used for defence

Jackie Chan briefly uses one against Shek Kin in YOUNG MASTER. A supporting character in SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN wields a pipe. That film also features Nora Miao fighting with a flute and a clan leader who fights with a pair of stress balls.

• Like 4

On 12/14/2018 at 6:13 PM, Drunken Monk said:

There'sο»Ώο»Ώ a film (I'm sure someone will know it) where a gwailo actress uses anΒ actualΒ snake as a whip. IΒ thougο»Ώht it was Sophia Crawford but IΒ could be wronο»Ώg.ο»Ώ

That's Kim Maree Penn in IN THE LINE OF DUTY V: MIDDLE MAN.

• Like 4

On 6/9/2019 at 2:35 AM, Shosetsu said:

I used to have a friend who is aΒ kung fu fan and he always used to say the tonfa isΒ the least popular.Β  I guess that depends on how many movies have featured that weapon.Β  So if anybody can list any other appearances, that would be nice

Movies with tonfa in them:

Tiger vs. Dragon (1972)
Call Me Dragon (1974)
Spiritual Kung Fu (1978)
Dragon Fist (1978)
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (1978)
Revenge of the Ninja (1983)
City Hunter (1993)
My Father is a Hero (1995)
Les Samourais (2002)
SPL 2: A Time for Consequences (2015)

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Jackie Chan briefly uses one against Shek Kin in YOUNG MASTER. A supporting character in SNAKE AND CRANE ARTS OF SHAOLIN wields a pipe. That film also features Nora Miao fighting with a flute and a clan leader who fights with a pair of stress balls.

Β 

Thanks for that @DrNgor, always loved the stress balls use in Snake & Crane Arts of Shaolin. Sure there are other examples of the pipe being used, must be more old master characters, who use a pipe.

• Like 3

On 8/16/2015 at 4:11 AM, Bus said:

Taiο»Ώ Chi Wu Jο»Ώο»Ώing uο»Ώsed his hair

Yuen Woo-Ping did the same thing in HEROES AMONG HEROES and FISTS OF THE DOUBLE K.

In TO KILL WITH INTRIGUE has a guy wielding a giant club with a face painted on it.

• Like 5

On 8/12/2019 at 6:34 AM, DrNgor said:

Movies with tonfa in them:

Tiger vs. Dragon (1972)
Call Me Dragon (1974)
Spiritual Kung Fu (1978)
Dragon Fist (1978)
Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin (1978)
Revenge of the Ninja (1983)
City Hunter (1993)
My Father is a Hero (1995)
Les Samourais (2002)
SPL 2: A Time for Consequences (2015)

Thanks for the exhaustive and impressive list.Β  My hat's off to you.

• Like 4