Craziest, Weirdest, Most Bizzare Weapons In Kung Fu Movies

DrNgor

Moderator Note: @DrNgor first came up with the cool idea of a thread on this subject, but a similar thread popped up a few months later, gained more traction/replies, and I think has a slightly more descriptive title, so I merged his original thread into this bigger one. Thanks Doc!- Kung Fu Bob

Okay, so anyone who's seen The Odd Couple will recall the opening scene, where the 12 traditional weapons of kung fu (at least Sammo and Lau Kar-Wing's interpretation of them) are shown. Included in these weapons are the:

Trident Halberd

Hard Whip

Wolf's Teeth Club

Hook Spear

Zhuo (the pole-arm with a weight in the form of a fist holding a spike at one end)

Rake

These weapons don't show up in many (if any movies). I've seen the Hard Whip in Two Champions from Shaolin and the obscure Mainland film Marshes of Liang Shan Po. The Wolf's Teeth Club shows up in the mansion fight in The Matrix Reloaded. I think Jet Li uses the hook spear in Martial Arts of Shaolin. But I haven't seen the others. Have you?

Feel free to comment on any other weapon that you haven't seen in a movie.

Perhaps the KFC collective can be of service!

• Like 1

• Administrator
Okay, so anyone who's seen The Odd Couple will recall the opening scene, where the 12 traditional weapons of kung fu (at least Sammo and Lau Kar-Wing's interpretation of them) are shown. Included in these weapons are the:

Trident Halberd

Hard Whip

Wolf's Teeth Club

Hook Spear

Zhuo (the pole-arm with a weight in the form of a fist holding a spike at one end)

Rake

These weapons don't show up in many (if any movies). I've seen the Hard Whip in Two Champions from Shaolin and the obscure Mainland film Marshes of Liang Shan Po. The Wolf's Teeth Club shows up in the mansion fight in The Matrix Reloaded. I think Jet Li uses the hook spear in Martial Arts of Shaolin. But I haven't seen the others. Have you?

Feel free to comment on any other weapon that you haven't seen in a movie.

Perhaps the KFC collective can be of service!

I like this thread already. :bigsmile:

Some of the ones you mentioned, I feel like I've never seen them in action.

The Hard Whip is one of the weapons that Michelle Yeoh uses against Zhang Ziyi in their excellent duel in CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON. I'm always surprised that more people don't mention this fight as a favorite, as it's so amazing.

Regarding the Wolf's Teeth Club- I just found out that this is what it's called about a month ago, thanks to a FB friend. I always referred to it as a "spiked club". As a young man I used to visit Chinatown a lot, and there was this one store that had a huge, black-lacquered Wolf's Teeth Club. I wanted that thing so bad! :nerd: But I think it was around $300, so... uh... no. :squigglemouth:

A weapon that I really dig that doesn't seem to show up much on film is the Meteor Hammer (aka. Meteor, Dragon's Fist, Flying Hammer, Rope Hammer, or dai chui). It's similar to a Rope Dart, except that instead of a spear tip on the end of a long rope, it typically has a more spherical shape (iron or steel) weight, sometimes one on each end. Occasionally the weights are spiked like those on a mace. My favorite appearance of this weapon- not that I have much to choose from- is in BLADE OF FURY (1993). During the film's climax one of the villains goes to town with one. Most people will have seen a Meteor Hammer in KILL BILL, where youthful assassin Gogo Yubari uses it.

Any other sitings of this weapon? :smile:

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude
A weapon that I really dig that doesn't seem to show up much on film is the Meteor Hammer (aka. Meteor, Dragon's Fist, Flying Hammer, Rope Hammer, or dai chui). It's similar to a Rope Dart, except that instead of a spear tip on the end of a long rope, it typically has a more spherical shape (iron or steel) weight, sometimes one on each end. Occasionally the weights are spiked like those on a mace. My favorite appearance of this weapon- not that I have much to choose from- is in BLADE OF FURY (1993). During the film's climax one of the villains goes to town with one. Most people will have seen a Meteor Hammer in KILL BILL, where youthful assassin Gogo Yubari uses it.

Any other sitings of this weapon? :smile:

Me, too, KFB. I always get excited to see that or a rope dart used, though you typically see it more often.

Chan made a mix of a meteor hammer and a rope dart using a rope and a horseshoe in Shanghai Noon. I thought that was pretty sweet.

• Like 2

Morgoth Bauglir

I'm not really familiar with weapon names. What about the Iron Fingers of Death? Is this an obscure weapon?

• Like 2

Does anyone have pictures of these weapons, please ?

Watch the first 60 seconds or so of this vídeo:

1. Spear

2. Halberd

3. Pole/Cudgel

4. Hunting Fork/Trident

5. Claw/Zhua

6. Hook Spear

7. Trident Halberd

8. Rake

9. Wolf's Teeth Club

10. Knife/Blade/Dao/Broadsword/Saber

11. Sword (i.e. two-edged straight sword)

12. Stick/Crutch/Tonfa

13. Axe

14. Hard Whip

15. Mace

16. Melon Hammer

17. Claw

18. Tiger's Head hook

Also, here.https://web.archive.org/web/20140802095649/http://www.arachina.com/culture/bujyutu/bingqi.htm

• Like 2

Guest Anonymous

What are some crazy and bizarre weapons you have seen in oldschool kung fu movies? I am talking about weapons that really do not make a lot of sense until you see the person use them. Secret weapons like collapsable swords or compartments in a spear do not count. I am only talking about bizarre weapons that don't seem to make a lot of sense or are just odd. Of course giant saw blades, the flying guillotine as well could count though.

I think some are those weird cymbal things some old dudes with beards use in films. I believe Deadly Duo had a guy with giant cymbals that clashes and banged like a musical instrument. I think I saw another film where a monk had them. I can't remember which movie it was though. But they are literal cymbals.

Another film which I just cannot remember the title had a guy who used an abacus to fight with. It was really weird.

Of course there is the bench weapon, which turns out to be a cool weapon, and there is the giant brass ring some guys use that is basically a large hoop. Kung Fu Genius has a guy with a big hoop/ring weapon.

Of course I have seen people use candles lit on fire, and a giant domino that was pulled off the wall in Deadly Breaking Sword. I am not sure if another movie used a domino, but it is possible.

Oh and I have seen a branch of a tree or green bamboo branch. I remember a movie that had giant metal fists that fit over the hands like boxing gloves as well but the name of the movie escapes me.

What are some other bizarre and crazy weapons you have seen?

legendarycurry

Sammo Hung uses Cymbal-like weapons in "The Shaolin Plot", and yes the abacus was a nice weapon too. The use of magnets in "Odd couple" was fun and the deadly leaves in "eastern condors" was interesting. Lots of cool stuff out there

• Like 2

There are tons of crazy weapons in Kung Fu movies, but the strangest for me was the kid (I think he was actually supposed to be a small man) who used an acidic, puss-filled growth on his face that he would squeeze and shoot at an enemy. It was in Buddha's Palm.

The "Bloody Bird" weapon from Shaolin Kung Fu Mystagogue was also really fun.

• Like 2

Guest Anonymous
There are tons of crazy weapons in Kung Fu movies, but the strangest for me was the kid (I think he was actually supposed to be a small man) who used an acidic, puss-filled growth on his face that he would squeeze and shoot at an enemy. It was in Buddha's Palm.

The "Bloody Bird" weapon from Shaolin Kung Fu Mystagogue was also really fun.

That sounds disgusting!!!!

Guest Anonymous
Sammo Hung uses Cymbal-like weapons in "The Shaolin Plot", and yes the abacus was a nice weapon too. The use of magnets in "Odd couple" was fun and the deadly leaves in "eastern condors" was interesting. Lots of cool stuff out there

what I want to know is how the HECK are cymbals an effective weapon? It is so awkward to hold an there is less dexterity for the wrists since it is an entire circle. I mean they could be shields but the handle int he exact center makes it harder to hold than a typical shield. And if the cymbals have blades you could easily cut your body in various locations and kill yourself.

I am thinking too logically....I know...

I'm watching Master of the Flying Guillotine and I forgot Hair is a crazy weapon. I think it is used in another film like Shaolin Prince or one other With Gordon Liu, Clan of the White Lotus. The evil Clan Leader in The movie with Ti Lung and Fu Sheng uses it at the end of the fight. I have to look up the movies name!

• Like 2

In the movie Legend of the Liquid sword the character name metal flower constructs an unknown weapon made from other actual kung fu weapons combined into one.He literally named it as "unknown weapon" and it stood over five feet and had more points than a carnivore's jaw.Unforgetable.

• Like 2

I always felt that the wooden darts used by Bruce Lee in Way Of The Dragon were a bit odd. Actual throwing knives or Ninja stars would have looked better in my opinion. I think he got the dart idea from The Green Hornet series. In some of the episodes he uses darts but there not made out of wood.

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

In Big Boss II, Dragon Lee neutralizes Bolo's gun with a stick. Yup, the sticks you eat with. Now how weird is that.

• Like 2

In Big Boss II, Dragon Lee neutralizes Bolo's gun with a stick. Yup, the sticks you eat with. Now how weird is that.

There's a scene where you see him practicing with what looks like chop sticks. They talk about Bruce Lees feats but I don't think he could get a chop stick to stick into a tree like a knife would.

• Like 1

Militant Eagle had a chase where a bad guy would pluck a blade of grass and throw like a dart to delay the hero. Battle Wizard featured a laser shooting dinosaur? bone.

Fearless Fighters has a lot of weird weapons from the hidden weapons that are built into the One Man Army's outfit to giant cymbals that reflect the sun's rays as laser beams. There's one scene where a random guy uses something I can only describe as a ornate lamp post you'd buy at Home Depot.

• Like 4

Not really weird but at least unusual is the segment in the film, Silver Spear, where Wang Yu faces off against an antagonist using a Trisectional.  As I said, not weird but at least unusual because a Trisectional is very rarely seen.

• Like 4

There's a film (I'm sure someone will know it) where a gwailo actress uses an actual snake as a whip. I thought it was Sophia Crawford but I could be wrong.

• Like 2

8 Strange Kung Fu Movies You've Probably Haven't Seen

Link- http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/8-strange-kung-fu-movies-you-probably-havent-seen/

Taoism Drunkard(1984), these looks like baking trays?, maybe for rice cakes?

Taoism-Drunkard.jpg

Would the oddball, seen at the end of this clip, be classed as a character?, or some possesed surreal weapon?.

Skip to the 1.50 mark, for said clip.

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Would the oddball, seen at the end of this clip, be classed as a character?, or some possesed surreal weapon?.

I've assumed most things like the bronzemen, the wooden men or that as you said 'the oddball' (nice pun BTW) are automatons (or a non-electronic self-operating machine or a non-electronic robot). On that assumption it is both a character and weapon. IMO the oddball is similar to a "robotic guard dog". If R2-D2 can be considered a character and a designed  tool (aka robot or droid) in Star Wars. IMO so could  the oddball be a character and a designed tool (aka a weapon). 

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

some possesed surreal weapon?

Since there's magic in The Miracle Fighters series it probably is possessed/powered by magic.  

• Like 2

On 12/15/2018 at 3:21 PM, Silver and Gold Dragon said:

I've assumed most things like the bronzemen, the wooden men or that as you said 'the oddball' (nice pun BTW) are automatons (or a non-electronic self-operating machine or a non-electronic robot). On that assumption it is both a character and weapon. IMO the oddball is similar to a "robotic guard dog". If R2-D2 can be considered a character and a designed  tool (aka robot or droid) in Star Wars. IMO so could  the oddball be a character and a designed tool (aka a weapon). 

Thanks for that, did the Yuen Cllan use the Oddball character again?, didnt appear in Shaolin Drunkard(1983) too?.