What Is Your Favorite Non-Martial Arts Asian Film?

Hei Meigui

TibetanWhiteCrane

Little surprised most people here choose Japanese films. How many of you actually venture outside MA stuff when watching HK cinema. I know a bunch of people here do, but it's not really reflected in this thread, or you just like JP cinema better when it comes to non-MA genres, that's fair. Just a little surprised.

• Like 3

masterofoneinchpunch
1 hour ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

Little surprised most people here choose Japanese films. How many of you actually venture outside MA stuff when watching HK cinema. I know a bunch of people here do, but it's not really reflected in this thread, or you just like JP cinema better when it comes to non-MA genres, that's fair. Just a little surprised.

I do all the time.  The problem is a director named Akira Kurosawa who is one of my favorite directors of all-time.  Now obviously I'm a huge Zhang Yimou and Wong Kar-wai fan so I'll pick so much from those two directors.  But we can go to Ann Hui or Stanley Kwan :D  Does Stephen Chow count in this thread?

• Like 2

TibetanWhiteCrane
4 minutes ago, masterofoneinchpunch said:

I do all the time.  The problem is a director named Akira Kurosawa who is one of my favorite directors of all-time.  Now obviously I'm a huge Zhang Yimou and Wong Kar-wai fan so I'll pick so much from those two directors.  But we can go to Ann Hui or Stanley Kwan :D  Does Stephen Chow count in this thread?

Not wondering about you... I know your cinematic diet :) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I did not grow up watching Japanese films as I did TV series.  We have a Japanese language television station and more recently a Korean one, but never a Chinese one.  Hence, my exposure was limited and I am thankful that releases for foreign films are wider.  Because of that, I was introduced to French Cinema featuring Alain Delon and some eastern European Cinema (much of which I am not able to locate with English subs :()

Edited by morpheus
  • Like 3

TibetanWhiteCrane

That's cool, was just a little surprised there wasn't more love for a wider spectrum of HK cinema, action or otherwise, with this specific question. I rented Young Master as a kid at the video store in 1985 and after that, rented everything with Asian people on the cover for years to come. 

Oh, and to answer the thread question, The Last Blood.

• Like 2

One Armed Boxer
On 8/9/2015 at 1:19 AM, legendarycurry said:

There are so many great films out there that it is very difficult for me to name a favorite non-MA asian film, There are so many dramas, comedies etc out there that I love.

On 7/4/2020 at 5:26 AM, masterofoneinchpunch said:

How can you pick just one? 

Echo these statements, this question is infinitely times harder to answer than what's your favourite martial arts flick.  You're asking to choose just one movie out of a multitude of genres, from a selection of over 10 countries.  The very thought of it is making my brain melt.

• Like 3

"Battle Royale(2000)" is the first to come to mind. But I also really liked John Woo's film "The Killer(1989)". I'm also trying to see more Japanese horror films after enjoying "Pulse(2001)"

• Like 3

Park Chan-wook - OLD BOY

Yi'nan Diao - BLACK COAL, THIN ICE

Shunji Iwai - ALL ABOUT LILY CHOU-CHOU

Kim Ki-duk - BAD GUY

Kim Jee-woon - I SAW THE DEVIL

• Like 3

Since Im as lost for a pick as many others here. I really enjoyed the anime film Mind Games. Only saw it once would like to track down a copy one of these days. But is animation even included in the question?

I enjoy Battle Royale, Oldboy and Hardboiled as much as the next guy but I dont think that warrants considering them ‘favorites’ for me personally.

• Like 3

On 7/23/2020 at 3:39 PM, TibetanWhiteCrane said:

I think Korean films are easily over-looked.

• Like 2

Pretty difficult to choose just one from all of Asia, so I will list the movies I like the most from a different country:

• The Handmaiden (South Korea)
  • Kamen Rider 555: Paradise Lost (Japan)
  • A Better Tomorrow 1986 (Hong Kong)
  • Like 2

As mentioned above Old Boy and Battle Royal are the go-to recommendations but not necessarily favorites.

Here are some different movies to find reviews or trailers for: Survivor Style 5+, The Handmaiden (drama thriller), A Tale of Two Sisters (horror), and Mother (crime mystery). Memoirs of a Geisha , The Bow (2005), and Dolls are on my watch list. Not sure what to expect from those.

Takashi Miike's film Visitor Q. It is a, you'll only see it once, type of movie. Pushes the boundaries in many ways. Not for the faint of heart.

I'm not sure where Sukiyaki Western fits in but it's a must see.

Animation is a whole different animal. Here are a few that I don't see on "best" lists: Tekkonkinkreet (2006), Paprika (2006), Steamboy (2004), and Royal Space Force (1987). Might as well throw in Appleseed (2004). Barefoot Gen (1983) , if you can come across it, is mind-blowing. It's probably the most accurate film regarding living life post dropping of atomic bomb.

• Like 3

On 7/27/2020 at 12:27 AM, Killer Meteor said:

I have a top 3: Godzilla, Horus: Prince of the Sun and Whisper of the Heart.

I pretty much have the entire Godzilla collection. I'm about half-way done and I'm super impressed. The changes he goes through can sometimes be confusing lol. Horus: I super appreciate and respect it. Absolutely ground breaking. I just can't add it to my favorites list. Anything regarding Hayao Miyazaki is pretty much a winner. What's your take on Porrco Rosso?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, whitemantis said:

Takashi Miike's film Visitor Q. It is a, you'll only see it once, type of movie. Pushes the boundaries in many ways. Not for the faint of heart.

Not exactly true, I've seen it three times and it gets better every time. Last time I've seen it, I realized it is also beautiful, not only twisted and disturbing. One of my all time favorite.

I'll cheat a little here: A Hero Never Dies, Made in Hong Kong, A Time to Live A Time to Die, Sonatine, Red Sorghum, Unclee Boonmee, Chungking Express, The Hole, I Saw the Devil, Rainy Dog, Spring Summer...

If I had to pick only one though, it's Love Exposure, the ultimate modern Japanese movie. Nothing comes close, it's not a movie, it's life itself. Also, it's the only movie ever that made me cry, both times I've seen it. I'm not counting Terminator 2 because I was ten, what kid wouldn't cry seeing that ending? :laugh

• Like 2

Cognoscente
On 8/8/2015 at 2:18 AM, Hei Meigui said:

Do you have one?

Mine is Money Maker (1991). It's the funniest movie that I've ever seen. The best way to describe it is this: imagine a remake of Ghost where the drama is non-existent and there's only a smidgeon of romance. I wish that it was available on DVD or VCD. The closest thing to either that I saw was a laserdisc on eBay. I was only lucky enough to see it on YouTube.

• Like 2