What Is Your Favorite Non-Martial Arts Asian Film?

Hei Meigui

Guest Anonymous
Do you have one? And do historical dramas count as MA if there is fighting?

Asians make movies that are not martial arts?!?! Since when???

Grasshopper Sage

Kaiju films (for me more specifically the 90's). Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra etc. Gamera is by far my favorite.

• Like 2

Guest Anonymous
Kaiju films (for me more specifically the 90's). Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra etc. Gamera is by far my favorite.

I agree, except for I like Godzilla.

Guest Anonymous

I like the ones with hot asian chicks in them too. Which ones are those again? I think almost ALL of them...

what about asian horror films? I have seen some, but I am not a huge fan.

Hard to think of an Asian movie I like that doesn't have some kind of fighting in it, even Godzilla has some serious Karate chops, kicks and judo throws. Off the top of my head -

Yakuza Papers

Oldboy

Onibaba

Kwaidan

House

Yakuza Graveyard

The Host

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

I tend to have mainly MA films as far as Asian cinema is concerned, but outside of those, I guess my favorite Asian films would be some Kaiju Eiga flicks - Godzilla, King Of Monsters and Gamera vs Viras are my favorites of each of the two major franchises, but I need to explore Japanese sci-fi more cause it seems there are lots of gems to discover there. :nerd

• Like 2

legendarycurry

a very tough question. Filmmakers like Wong Kar ai and john Woo, Ringo Lam, etc etc have made some of my favorite films I've seen. There are so many great films out there that it is very difficult for me to name a favorite non-MA asian film, There are so many dramas, comedies etc out there that I love.

• Like 2

I really love Tsui Hark's films. I want to collect all of them he has such a range from fantasy to drama all with some sort of political or social commentary.

I have also collected a lot of Wong Kar-wai's films.

• Like 2

The Seven Samurai & 13 Assassins.

To be honest I have not watched many Asian films that don't feature Martial Arts as the main theme.

• Like 1

Hmmm, those wouldn't be considered a martial arts movies? Or I guess you could consider them war epics.

See that's my question also Tosh, I really love the historical Chinese films Like Red Cliff, The Three Kingdoms, and actually one of the few Jackie Chan films I like was the recent Little Big Soldier - but do they count as MA just because there is fighting with swords, etc?

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

See that's my question also Tosh, I really love the historical Chinese films Like Red Cliff, The Three Kingdoms, and actually one of the few Jackie Chan films I like was the recent Little Big Soldier - but do they count as MA just because there is fighting with swords, etc?

I would rather consider them swordsplays or historical films. Sword fighting isn't necessarly MA, and these films dont seem to have that mystical/fantasy element Wuxia incorporate. Then again, we get the problem of "Wuxia or MA" for some movies...

• Like 1

I would rather consider them swordsplays or historical films. Sword fighting isn't necessarly MA, and these films dont seem to have that mystical/fantasy element Wuxia incorporate. Then again, we get the problem of "Wuxia or MA" for some movies...

I felt they might fall more into the historical and swordplay category.

I remember watching raise the red lantern while I was cutting school one day and it stayed with me ever since.It was also my first movie seeing Gong Li and I was taken aback by her beauty as well as her acting.If I had to pick a non related MA Asian movie,it'll most likely be that one.

• Like 1

paimeifist

Planet of the Apes, the original.. but I love all of them, even the old sequels. The new series was great too.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, paimeifist said:

Planet of the Apes, the original.. but I love all of them, even the old sequels. The new series was great too.

They did an Asian version of Planet of the Apes? Never knew that.                                                                                                         One of my favorite non-martial art Asian films is That's The Way I Like It, a Singaporean take on Saturday Night Fever.

Edited by CT KID
  • Like 1

paimeifist
20 minutes ago, CT KID said:

They did an Asian version of Planet of the Apes? Never knew that.                                                                                                         One of my favorite non-martial art Asian films is That's The Way I Like It, a Singaporean take on Saturday Night Fever.

Oh, lol, I didn’t realize it said “Asian film”.

In that case, probably Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II.

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

masterofoneinchpunch

How can you pick just one?  Anyways I'll have to push Akira Kurosawa's Ikiru.  A must watch for anyone into cinema.  What an ending.  But the whole film makes one realize what one has to do with one's life.

• Like 2