For all those out there that saw Devilman

Guest The Running Man

Guest The Running Man

I am talking about the recent live action version.

Now, I never really paid attention to the release of the film or how it was being received. I don't ever care for such things honestly, but in this case I am curious since I just saw the movie.

I mean, is it just me, or is this one of the biggest train wreaks of a film in recent years? Pretty much on every level this movie is a disaster.

Does anyone else think so or what? How did the movie do box office wise?

Again, just curious since I am not aware of the general thought of the film.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest GwaiLoMoFo

I was interested in seeing it when I heard them announce its release. But every review I found said it was basically crap. So I stayed away from it. I believe Media Blasters is releasing it in the States.

Guest Yakuza954

This movie wasn't that big of a trainwreck since it wasn't really that important to begin with. As far as I know it was mainly for the niche audience already familar with the Devilman anime series.

Guest The Running Man

"Trainwreck" isn't something only reserved for what is considered "important".

Trainwreck is basically anything that fails miserably and this film basically is horrible on every conceivable level of film making. Thus, it's a trainwreck.

But I did hear that the film was a huge Japanese blockbuster in terms of budget (and in the perspective of Japanese films) and thus important. And that it bombed at the box office. Don't know how true the latter is, but if it is true (something I wouldn't doubt) then the film was a box office "bomb". :)

Guest Yakuza954

The movie had a lot of bad CGI, was based off of an uneven anime series, and had a bunch of teenage pop idols, so it's not surprising how the film turned out. A lot of films like that have blown the past few years, and I don't see how anything differentiates this one and makes it worse from the rest. It's getting a Region 1 dvd release soon but I don't see why anyone would even watch this unless they're a fan of the original Devilman series.

Guest The Running Man

I don't really understand what's the purpose of your posts? Are you arguing with me or something?

I don't get it.

Guest Yakuza954

huh? Are you paranoid or something? I'm just explaining why Devilman sucking isn't a surprise. If anyone else posted this I would have replied the same way. Expectations weren't that high for this movie to begin with, since only Devilman fans outside of Japan really cared about it, and it was destined to fail with all of its CGI effects, pop idols, etc. Anime to movie crossovers also have a pretty bad history. The DragonBall and and Fist of the North Star Live action movies, for example, are considered two of the worst movies ever created. Devilman is a great movie in comparison.

Guest The Running Man

No, I'm not paranoid. It's just the way you reply makes it seems as if you are arguing something against what I am saying.

In any case, Fist of the North Star and DragonBall are really bad but it's not in the same league as Devilman. Both those films were action cheapies while Devilman was a huge Japanese production that was aimed at a general audience, not just it's fans of the manga and anime series. That's why so much money was poured into it and why the film was cast with pop idols and models because it was meant for big success. Obviously it was the other way around. Way way the other way around.

Guest limubai2000
No, I'm not paranoid. It's just the way you reply makes it seems as if you are arguing something against what I am saying.

You probably feel this way because you argue with everyone in the Modern forum to the point that you irritate many a folks. Try toning down your posts a bit and not being so heavy handed, you state many of your opinions as if they were fact, when they aren't. There is getting your point across and then GETTING YOUR POINT ACROSS.

And that is me saying it a friendly I like to read your posts but they are overblown kinda way.

As for Devilman, I stayed away and I saw like 15 mins of it on cable TV in the Philippines by accident. I think I'm emotionally scarred from it!! :P

Guest The Running Man
You probably feel this way because you argue with everyone in the Modern forum to the point that you irritate many a folks.

Nah, that ain't it.

Archived