Storm Riders: The Comic Book (manhua)

Leung Tsan

Hello dear Shaolin Brothers,

I hope this new topic is in the right place because as it is a graphic novel I am about to write, I could not find any other place to start it.

Now faster your seatbelts, I am going to write my longest post ever.

Anyway, since I started watching kung fu movies I always loved reading a lot of comic books too since long ago such as the usual marvel and dc's and many french comics too as my mother tongue is french.... and one day at like the only comic book store in my city, they had since long ago these chinese comics I did not really paid attention until I started to collect a few kung fu movies..... then one day I come to the store, I take one of the volumes and started browsing through the pages BOOOOM instant blast and aknowledgement of the skill, talent, graphic power, and more importantly their own origninal styles !!!! I just instantly knew this would be a fatal blow to my wallet !!!

As I was a long time client, I knew the owner and it was so funny because he just told me they were there for long and absolutely NOBODY ever purchased any of the volumes of the 2 series he had on shelves......

there were 16 Storm Riders volumes and 11 Heaven Sword & Dragon Sabre volumes..... the owner was very kind that day and just told me that he'd better use these shelves for some other comic books rather... and would sell me the whole 2 sets for 10% of the total price ..... So it was around 40 bucks that I paid..... and believe me I will be eternally grateful to this man !!!!

Now if you got this far, is that I can really start to tell my wish, my request, even maybe my dream.

Both of these series are to me the utmost best of ultimate unbeatable kung fu movie I ever saw. I mean the drawing, the history, the kung fu, the crazy names of the techniques, the real kung fu, the fantastic one, the fights, and DAMN ALL THE DRAWINGS, THE PAINTINGS.....the whole issue here is that not only the styles are awesome, the skill is super high, and they MIXED various styles of drawing, painting... not all the squares on the pages share the same style..... so its a unique experience and I have to tell you that both the stories Storm Riders and Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre are just incredible..... The author Wing Shing Ma did an awesome adaptation of the classic Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre by author Louis Cha. But then he started creating his own original comic Storm Riders in 1989 and still continues to sell them, THE STORY IS STILL ON !!!

Ok now the super lame part...... :dull I never finished reading any of the both stories because I did not have anymore of them.... After many researches back then I found out that the publisher in the USA did not had much success with these translated books.... so they stopped translating them..... I was, and still am, very sad about this because I know that there were 40 or 50 volumes in total for Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre.... Storm Riders is another story as it still continues although its by far the one I like most !!! Anyway, I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about a possible fan-translated in english scanlation book to download or any link to any purchase...... I am desperate because I could totally buy the chinese versions, but I cant read chinese obviously but would be tempted to buy some just for the graphic thirst I got from all these years waiting for hope some publisher would continue the job where the others left it.......

That's it, I am very sorry for the super long post, it's just that in this kung fu movie collecting/hunting/loving jungle, these books are kind of a best-of fantasy, taking ALL the many different things seen in movies, all put together, with always kung fu action, meditation, pression, all that heart-art-sweating from the pages..... with an equally artistic story that was put together.....

Well its obvious I am a huge fan.....

I am gonna just send some images later for you to kind of take a look of what I am trying to describe so painfully yet energically !!!

Thanks for any help or hint or anything related to these two comic books !!

Thanks for taking the time to read me,

Buddha Be Blessed

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow posting these in the correct order was such a shaolin internet exercise !!!!

see what I mean by different styles in all the squares (dont know the exact term in english) all put together.....

post-27579-144199715493_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199715518_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199715552_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199715599_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199715646_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199715691_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199715732_thumb.jpg

The art and story of Storm Riders is my favorite amongst all the other chinese comics I read (although the story of Heaven Sword Dragon Saber comes close), that's why I posed only pictures of Storm Riders books.....

if anybody is interested, I could take some more pictures of the inside of the other series.....

It's my pleasure to share such awesomeness, so do not hesitate,

So that's it for my longest multi-post ever !!

Peace !! :party

The art and story of Storm Riders is my favorite amongst all the other chinese comics I read (although the story of Heaven Sword Dragon Saber comes close), that's why I posed only pictures of Storm Riders books.....

if anybody is interested, I could take some more pictures of the inside of the other series.....

It's my pleasure to share such awesomeness, so do not hesitate,

So that's it for my longest multi-post ever !!

Peace !! :party

It's interesting when I was first getting into asian cinema I started with the newest stuff first. I saw the film Storm Riders (1998)

Trailer

Full movie with subs

full movie dubb

and

Storm Warriors (2009)

with Ekin Cheng and Aron Kwok

I really liked the films even though as will all movie from comic adaptations it is probably very different from the source material.

I also just purchased the films

The Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre i & II Can't wait until they arrive.

Here is a link I found of scanlators who may be able to help you.

https://www.mangaupdates.com/groups.html

Here is a link to a blog talking about the translations of Wing Shing Ma's works and how they were changed for the US import. The guy does Translations of comics I wonder how much he would charge.

http://www.nickstember.com/only-ten-percent-of-ma-wing-shings-epic-chinese-manhua-_chinese-hero_-has-been-translated-into-english/

oh my god, thanks a lot for the links Hei Meigui !!!!!!!!! I really appreciate it !!

hehe as a big fan of the comics I saw the movies too, funny thing is that each movie only depicts a few chapters each time, the story in the first movie is shawn in a few chapters on the 6th volume if I recall correctly...... anyway, they did not so bad with the movies due to the almost impossible task to adapt from a comic book......

I also have the Heaven Sword Dragon Sabre 1 and 2.... and here too the story is kind of impossible to synthetise in only 2 movies due to the super long and detailed story hehe I remember it's almost impossible to follow due to the immensity of the characters..... hehe if you are not familiar with the story, the movie will feel like an endless introduction of characters, but still, I liked it......

Anyway, a big thanks for the links, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate any info on this.

Peace !

I just read the second link you posted, very interesting too..... I own the Chinese Hero comic book that was translated into English, its a bit more old school but its got a lot of charm and the story telling is the usual great with Wing Shing Ma.... its very good and always kung fu oriented but of course there were so many volumes they did not translate everything neither......, and they also did a movie adaptation "A Man Called Hero" with Ekin Cheng..... as the link says these Wing Shing Ma's novels are highly popular and well known in Hong Kong at least..... and it's really crazy how the japanese manga took over the world and yet we almost dont know anything about chinese manhua....... I really hope someday they will start to publish the back.....

I also wonder how much would be the total cost of editing, translating and publishing one volume..... I would really subscribe some money to a kickstarter project if there was one

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB

How can you apologize for writing such a fantastically enthusiastic, and loving post on these amazing books? We should be thanking you brother! In fact, I will- Thanks! :clappinghands

You are obviously so passionate about these, and it's wonderful to read. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about them, and perhaps introducing others to them. Great photos too!

Plus- major shout-out to one of the coolest people I ever met, who actually sent me the entire English translated STORM RIDERS series. :rockon I'm sure you would get along wonderfully with him! :laugh

This is one of the parts that were taken for the movie Storm Riders.... the comic book story is just way more deep but here is the deal : right after Sword Saint (a legendary sword expert) met with Nameless (supposedely the best most unknown kung fu master) he realized Nameless was in a so high level of skill that he could never match...... and goes shocked into deep meditation, letting himself understand and awaken the unreachable technique Sword Skill 23

here is a small part of it.... it goes for pages but here is a sneak peak

post-27579-144199716737_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199716778_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199716821_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199716863_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199716909_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199716955_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199717003_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199717048_thumb.jpg

post-27579-144199717456_thumb.jpg

Archived