Blood Child (aka Five Fingers of Steel) (1982) - Hwang Jang Lee vs. Kwan Yung Moon

dragonherb

I wonder what was wrong with the baby in this movie? The villain (Kwan Yung-Moon) who raped the baby’s mother repeatedly call it “a monster“, and the only frame in the movie that shows what it looks like briefly is on the image that I’ve attached to this thread. It’s as if the kung fu movie turned into a religious horror-film or something just all of a sudden, or is it that there’s a natural explanation for the weird baby? I have no clue.

post-85-144191879218_thumb.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it has something to do with myths and legends surrounding rape throughout Asia, many involve the rapist or the child of rape producing a monster which will one day seek revenege. One legend is the Orang Minyak (Oily Manic) which talks about people who are rapists and in some cases their childen becoming this oil dropping creature. Since the film was set in a rural village, I always wondered if they wanted to do something along these lines and then decided against it, elsewise it makes no sense to even mention it just to kill the baby a few minutes later. No matter, I've always thought Blood Child was one of the strangest kung fu movies around and by the same token, makes it more interesting than other run of the mill movies.

never heard of it.... might be interesting..... thanks for the link !!

by the way, I was browsing through this link and there are a few movies that I am interested in.... (the young hero of shaolin 1+2)...... Did you or anyone else already ordered from the site ?? I might be willing to place an order for a few movies.....

shaolin swords

your welcom Lt i never had order from there but am also thinking about placing a order there they have some good flicks on there :smile

shaolin swords

i kind of figured that out LT be carfull dont know if you buy bootlegs or just like originals but for me sometime you have to buy bootlegs because like the movie general invincible does not have no legit releases so the only way to get it is bootlegs and alot of other films are like that and also another movie i want victim and the assassin i think its called dont have no legit release niether but i guess it all depends on the person to buy bootlegs or not

thanks for the warnings MonkeyFu and 7blows, I assumed so but as 7B said, sometimes the only way is to go bootlegs..... anyway, Ill make an order later this week after browsing through this site a bit more.

DragonClaws

This was released in the U.K on DVD & VHS as Five Fingers Of Steel on the now defunct HK Connection label.

I've seen it...it is a very strange movie. Kwon Young-Moon is the villain and HJL appears sporadically in training mainly until he finally faces off against Kwon in the finale. Had some horror element to it when some girl is locked up for murder after she is found holding a dead baby. Very strange movie, but HJL and Yuen Mo did the choreography on the film, which was pretty good. But overall weird film. 

Yeah it is an interesting movie that is worth a watch at the very least. I agree with Al, it is "weird", mainly in that it is very dark in tone and scenes, but the bad acting and plotting keeps some terrible happenings from having any impact. I also have to say that the pairing of HJL and Kwan Yeong Moon is a bit of a let down.

I sound like I am saying it sucks, but it doesn't. It is decent.

Yeah it is Superkicker Hwang movie that is worth a watch at the very least. I agree with Al, it is "weird", mainly in that it is very dark in tone and scenes, but the bad acting and plotting keeps some terrible happenings from having any impact. I also have to say that the pairing of HJL and Kwan Yeong Moon is a bit of a let down.

I sound like I am saying it sucks, but it doesn't. It is decent.

Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee and The Mad Korean also faced off in YOUNG HERO, which featured the same choreographer, Yuen Mo. It too wasn't a classic.

Legendary Superkicker Hwang Jang Lee and The Mad Korean also faced off in YOUNG HERO, which featured the same choreographer, Yuen Mo. It too wasn't a classic.

I think from how the credits were done, it looks as if possibly both YOUNG HERO and BLOOD CHILD were shot back-to-back. They virtually had the same thematic style of opening credits. 

A strange movie it is indeed and one of the rare films where Hwang Jang Lee is sort of a good guy.Watch it at least for this reason and overall it is not too bad.

Archived