Tenchu & Samurai Wolf

Guest tino

I just ordered these two movies after hearing good things about them. I also ordered Swords of Vengeance ( Fall of Ako Castle). Any thoughts or comments about these? Also was thinking about getting Mute Samurai films, are these movies any good?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest KevinClo

They are all good and have been talked about before. Both Samurai Wolf and Tenchu were directed by Hideo Gosha who was really good in making samurai movies. Samurai Wolf was one I was looking for years to find so it was great to finally see that one. Tenchu was difficult to get for a long time because the story is it was out of circulation due to suicide of Yukio Mishima who is well known in literary circles, but is one of the co-stars in the movie. His on screen suicide took place a year or so before his real suicide took place. For the Japanese, the movie imitated reality a little too much.

One thing I like about Tenchu is the swordfighting is not intended to be that good in certain scenes. It is just brutal, muscular, and Jack the Ripper like. When I watch a film I like for the sword fights to go along with how the characters are and this one definitely fits the bill.

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The Mute Samurai's are pretty good actually. I have vol. 1 and vol. 6 (I believe/haven't seen them for a little while) both have Shintaro Katsu (Zatoichi) in them which made for a little more likely an enjoyable experience to watch. I must say, I was pleasently surprised. Wakayama Tomisaburo (lone wolf) is great in these made for TV shorts. Don't let the made for TV fool you. There ARE some brutal scenes and they're basically slightly cheaper quality cinematic experiences. The Wicked Priest is pretty damn cool as well (another Tomisaburo character).

Guest kungfusamurai

Mute Samurai was a TV series that ran for 25 episodes in total, if I'm not mistaken. I believe its all the same production people as used on the Lone Wolf & Cub films. Even Daigoro (the actor) makes an appearance in an early episode. It's been available without English subs in Japan for a number of years now, but you have to take out a second mortgage to afford the cost of the two box sets.

KFS

Archived