Kung Fu Movie DVDs With 'Martial Arts Lessons' As Extras

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I remember around 2003-05 I was buying tons of movies. I would buy one series of movies that were solid kung fu films that had special DVD features of a martial arts lesson attached to it.

I think one was a Hwang Jang-Lee movie that had a Taekwondo lesson. Another film had a Sanshou kung fu lesson. It was awesome. The DVDs were not that expensive either.

I am not sure but it might have been the Silver Fox Collection of DVDs. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

DragonClaws

I have never heard about these releases before. The only HJL instructional film I'm aware of is The Art Of High Impact Kicking.

Guest Anonymous
I have never heard about these releases before. The only HJL instructional film I'm aware of is The Art Of High Impact Kicking.

No Hwang Jang Lee is not actualluy teaching. Its just a random Korean Taekwondo master teaching a TAekwondo lesson.

The other DVD had an old Chinese Sanshou and Kung Fu master teaching how to punch kick and knee people. It was pretty sweet.

I believe it was the Silver Fox Collection that had these. Each movie had a different martial arts instructional. I only was able to find 2 of these DVDs. I bought 5 Fingers of Steel and Ninja Terminator. There are other videos in the series and each had a martial arts lesson by a real martial arts master. Also the lessons were with subtitles too as they all spoke their own languages.

[img=]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5156JXD1T4L._SY300_.jpg

51KRPQYTZWL._SY445_.jpg

I got those.

But I dont think I got this or could not find it:

[img=]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqF,!hcE2h9mCuG,BNuYiFKfDQ~~_35.JPG

Someone is selling these on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Fox-Collection-Buddhist-Fist-Tiger-Claws-DVD-Wong-Chen-Li-NEW-/121122844899?hash=item1c337bf0e3

and the description says:

Features:

Grandmaster Hwang Jang Lee is a real life master of Tae Kwan Do and the Silver Fox collection brings you hard core instructionals in every set! Watch and Learn the fighting techniques of the art of the Silver Fox himself.

When i owned this DVD the instructional was some Korean guy with some korean students showing Taekwondo kicking drills and how to do them. Also it was in Korean with subtitles.

I believe 5 Fingers of Steel had a snashou guy in China or somewhere in a garden teaching kickboxing moves. He was speaking mandarin it think. And it was also subtitled. He was wearing silk Chinese clothes and teaching jab, cross, knee strike and kicks and foot work.

I have no clue what the other DVDs had.

What was cool is these DVDs were about 6.99 or less than 10 bucks at Best Buy back in the day. I could only find 3 of them for sale and only got 2.

You could watch a rad kung fu movie and get pumped up then learn how to fight right after!!

BiggWill1988

I know what your talking about about I dont have any films from the Silver Fox Collection but i have Hwang Jang Lee Duel of The Ulitmate Weapons dvd with martial arts lessons as the extras

Guest Anonymous
I know what your talking about about I dont have any films from the Silver Fox Collection but i have Hwang Jang Lee Duel of The Ulitmate Weapons dvd with martial arts lessons as the extras

What martial arts lessons were on it? Was it more than 1 lesson? I wonder if they added the same lessons from those DVD series on there as well. Who knows.

Oh and some of the ninja movies, not the gofrey ho stuff, but other kung fu and ninja movies literally have Sho Kasugi on them teaching ninja techniques and demonstrating weapons before each movie. Its soooo rad! I forgot what DVD series they are but they all have a lesson before the movies. I think there are a lot of them to. I used to own some but I forgot the actual name of each one. lol

BiggWill1988

It was a series of lessons of San Shou, I would like to see the Sho Kasugi ninja lessons ill see if i can find it online

Guest Anonymous

Were the sanshou lessons just 1 teacher and one thing? Or was it multiple lessons on that one movie?

Was the teacher in I think some kind of white traditional chinese silk shirt an was he in some garden or grassy nice place in asia somewhere? Was he old?

If so that lesson was on the 5 fingers of steel one I think. I think the Taekwondo one was on the Ninja one.

I think it would be really cool if they released more kung fu movies with real life martial arts self defense lessons by masters of various arts represented in the movies, or styles the actors themselves have a background in. It would be so fun! Like a new series with new lessons.

BiggWill1988

Just one teacher and yes I think it was the same teacher by your description it sounds like it was the exact same lessons. I like the idea of lessons on dvds on extras i think they should be done more

Guest Anonymous
Just one teacher and yes I think it was the same teacher by your description it sounds like it was the exact same lessons. I like the idea of lessons on dvds on extras i think they should be done more

I agree because for me, I like kung fu movies because I love martial arts. I love knowing about real styles and fights. Movies existed before MMA was on live TV and you could watch real people fighting for real. Movies filled in this void with martial arts styles and in the old days this is how we based fight knowledge on. Movies. But to have cool lessons with the movies is so exciting and pumps you up after watching it.

That was a good lesson too he taught straight jabs and knees and low kicks. Sanshou Kung Fu Wushu!

Just watching martial arts films and hearing stories is not enough. I HAVE TO LIVE IT!!!

Guest Anonymous
I agree also heres the cover to the dvd that i was talking about that i have: http://thumbs.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/m ... 596Y6w.jpg

OH MY GOSH!!! I was wrong. I had that movie too!! That is the one with the sanshou lesson as you have said. I was wrong to say it was on 5 Fingers of Steel. I think that one had the taekwondo lesson but im not sure.

The ninja one had another style. I forgot which.

But dude that is one of the DVDs int he series. Sweet! I want to own all of these again. I only owned 2 at least...maybe 3. But then maybe the sho kasugi lesson was on the ninja DVD one too.

But I remember there were several "Black belt theater" releases that all had sho kasugi teaching a lesson (more like doing a demo). Also I believe they must have shown them in the 80's on TV.

Guest Anonymous

Ya those are the ones! They are very cool!

But the better lessons are on the DVDs of the SIlve Fox Collection. They are more true real lessons of true martial arts styles that will actually help you learn how to fight.

If I become rich one day I will release a lot of DVDs with lessons on how to fight with them and pump people up to much!!! I will get various masters of real martial arts and put them at the end. I will also teach a lesson!!

Have you seen "Jet Li's Shaolin Fists Collection"?  It is a 2 sided 2 disk set that is about 1/2 moves & 1/2 tutorials.  Tutorials by actual monks!  It has been a while since I watched these videos but I am pretty sure this is the one with the biography of some prominent abbot who sleeps sitting up & likes to do long hand stands on one finger.  I have to admit, it just fascinated me.  I really don't know squat about Martial Arts, but now I know a little bit more about Shaolin!  The set doesn't have much to do with Jet Li.    I don't have a lot of the refined tastes of some MA oficionados, but I think this set is great!  I would recommend it highly.  Here is a link with a pic & a little more info about what it is.  Looks like most of the reviewers were not interested in some great movies if they didn't contain Jet Li!

The collection listed on Amazon (with picture of cover)

• Like 1

Cognoscente

I remember a Wu Tang DVD release of The Incredible Kung Fu Master where the instructor was one of the spearmen from Fearless Hyena.

Imagine if the OUATIC DVD had something like the below lesson.

11027473_381332645387724_6250527720182080381_o.jpg

• Like 2