Who Do You Think Is The Best Kung Fu Cinema Villian?

Hei Meigui

Guest Anonymous

Just be careful about giving away the ending to films for those who may not have seen them.

Not all the actors in these films are real Martial Artists, many came from the Opera schools in HK. They will have been given Martial Arts training but just not focused on it as much. For example Sammo Hung is a former Opera School student and a very capable Martial Artist. But he hasn't studied or trained in the Martial Arts like Hwang Jane Lee or Casanova Wong have for example. Leung Kar Yan never had any formal training, he picked up the moves easily because of his natural physical talents.

Sorry about that....I didnt realize.

Also I heard Sammo Hung did northern style or something. I think Luen Kar Yuen in that video above mentioned Sammo was proficient in that style.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DragonClaws

Sorry about that....I didnt realize.

Also I heard Sammo Hung did northern style or something. I think Luen Kar Yuen in that video above mentioned Sammo was proficient in that style.

Its ok I'm not having a go and its easily done, something I had to learn joining film related forums.

That scene is in Dreadnaught and it always cracks me up watching it.

"Why do you need a pin to measure me?"

I recall Kwan Tak-Hing is smoking a pipe and still fights off Fung Hak-On with ease.

no doubt for me it would be Hwang Jang Lee....

BUT STILL,

another for me would be FUNG Hak-On..... he was so great in Warriors Two.... making everybody think he was an old fart and bang suddenly you got the crazy fight at the end of the movie..... and he did the villain in many movies, even without make up he was great...... I cant remember the scene when he plays the tailor trying to scissor cut Kwan Tak-Hing... was it Dreadnaught or the Magnificent Butcher ??

well you made me want to watch it dubbed now..... Ill check it out on youtube..... because I got perfect remastered versions of the movies but no dubbing.....

I think It was Dreadnaught I was looking for clips to post of Kwan Tak=Hing in his thread and I think I posted that movie. I'll have to check now. Yes the full movies Dubbed and Subbed are posted on the Kwan Tak-Hing thread I started.

http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1335

Well, Hwang Jang Li is the greatest no doubt. But my favorite and the coolest screen villain has to be Chang Yi. One only has to look at his portrayal of Cha Na Wu in Eagle's claw's to see what I mean. Or Check him in Challenges of death taking on tan tao liang and wong tao with the spider fist. How about The Victim when he was Leung Ka Yan's wicked stepbrother to the Nth power! Then he was a noble yet fearsome villain in fatal needles vs fatal fists.Let's not forget invincible shaolin sticks where he showcased his ability to handle weapons. What I dig the most about chang yi was the class and regal grace he showed as bad guy yet still able to intimidate you with that hard stare of his.He was the daddy cool of the kung fu villains no doubt. And the hardest villain has to be Michael Chan Wai Man. I had to mention him because not only was he a bad guy on screen he was a bad guy in real life, he brought that persona and swagger with him to the big screen. Just check out Five element ninja aka chinese super ninja and you'll see what I'm talking about. NO ONE ELSE BUT Mike Chan could've played that role as hard as the Hokage of the five element ninja.NOBODY. Well...Maybe Sonny Chiba?

Three stand out for me:

Hwang Jang Lee in Tiger Over Wall because that finale against Philip Ko really really stood out with Hwang's kicking skills IMO

Eagle Yuen in Dreadnaught because he was both a skilled fighter and a complete maniac at the same time!

Fung Hark-On in Warriors Two because he has everyone fooled then reveals himself and showcases Mantis fist in such an awesome way against Sammo and Casanova.

Secret Executioner

I mentionned HJL and Ku Feng earlier, but I also find Kong Do makes for a great villain. I like his very "I'm a mean bastard" type of look, and that goes along perfect with the personality of his usual character in Shaw Bros classics (the nasty full of himself taunting bastard that hides behind his muscles when trouble occurs - Shaolin Martial Arts may use him the best in this part). A guy you love to hate.

He also appeared in non-Shaw films (I even saw him fight Bruce Le in a Bruceploitation flick), but he isn't as great as an actor or as well-used as in some of the Shaw Bros films you'd find him in.

(on a sidenote, he appears as a bandit in The Blood Brothers and if you found this guy deserved to get a comeuppance in other films, Ti Lung fixes your problem in this film - I personally found this very satisfying to watch)

DragonClaws

So many choices, almost impossible to answer this question. This guy has to be in any top ten list's at least.

Yasuaki Kurata

image-original.jpg?1488251035

Iron Head Rat

I thought Eddy Ko Hung in Thundering Mantis was evil as you like & very believable..

Also my man Chang Yi in Seven Commandments of Kung Fu very sneaky & cunning..special mentions for Lung Fei whenever i see him 😂

edher_M.A.

Okay, i'll make a specific case

1.FUNG Hak-On

2. movie: The Manificent Butcher

3. Why? Despite not been the "man to beat" kung fu wise in the movie.. He was the most despicable villian i've ever seen in a kung fu movie.. Lying , murdering, raping, etc.. he caused so much damage in the movie without even been a highly skilled kung fu man.. he was just BAD!.

ShawAngela
On 10/16/2015 at 4:46 PM, Secret Executioner said:

I also find Kong Do makes for a great villain.

I would vote for him too, along wiht Chang Yi and Fung Hark On.

I saw Kong DO playing a good guy as a policeman in Payment in blood. Does anyone know any other movie where he plays a good guy ?

DragonClaws

I've already mentioned Bolo Yeung, but not his role in Writing Kung Fu(1979). Probably one of the greatest portrayals of screen villianery ever put on film.

john-chang17.jpg

"Say hello to the biggest bad guy" Teaser for up-coming Bolo Yeung documentary.

Chu Liu Hsiang

Ku Feng for displaying pure evilness with style, Hwang Jang Lee for being the bad man with great fighting abilities, Chiang Tao for his happy face while being mean, Fung Hak On for general viciousness. 

I would also add these guys: 

Chen Sing - Too many movies to pick just one. He was also a real life tough guy.

Tommy Lee - The Hot, The Cool & The Vicious, Along Comes A Tiger and many more.

And everybody's favorite henchman Lung Fei.

Secret Executioner

@thekfc Lung Fei is such a profolic actor that there was a time I was binge-watching independent Fu films and he'd turn up in pretty much every movie I would watch. :eek: 

Also, gotta love his Golden Rooster Style in Marvelous Stunts of Kung Fu.

Marvelous Stunts.gif

sifu iron perm

Respectfully Hwang but for me it's  Eagle Han-ying- was a stone cold killer, the way him and his guards kept stalking Ching-pang fei and the Unicorn was scary! Then came the brutal ending of grandpa!!! 

Excellent film too.

Fang Yeh, one evil bastard in nearly everything i've seen him in and mean with a whip in his hand.

Killer Meteor

Hwang Jang Lee in Drunken Master

Shih Kien in Enter the Dragon

Han Ying Chieh in The Big Boss

Whang In-Sik in The Young Master

Lee Hoi-Sang in The Magnificent Butcher

Chen Sing in New Fist of Fury

Ku Feng in The New One Armed Swordsman

Fung Hark-On in just about anything!

Fung Hak-On (RIP) and Wang Lung-Wei.

In just about any film these actors appeared.

Fung - in "Last Hurrah for Chivalry"

Wang -in "Shaolin Temple" (1976)

Fung Hak-On was more of the diabolical type that would kill just for the fun of it.  Wang Lung-Wei was more of the self-serving individual who would do it for some kind of gain -monetary or political power.

Chen Sing in The Himalayan was a pretty ruthless and nasty swine who took great pleasure from his pure evilness

Archived