Who Do You Think Is The Best Kung Fu Cinema Villian?

Hei Meigui

1. What actor

2. What film

3. And why do you think they are the best villian

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaolin swords

i think lung wei wang in shaolin and wu tang and in invincible shaolin he plays a great villian his just pure evil and does really wicked things but thats my pick and of course hwang jang lee too

HWang Jang Lee, when he has white hair in ANY movie.

This is so hard to argue with. I must agree. Although ....(continued in a post)

Guest Anonymous

This is so hard to argue with. I must agree. Although ....(continued in a post)

But still...with his techniques he surely will always remain a villainous Lord....of the martial world.

There are so many but i choose the pirate lo san po from project a played by dick wei,but you cant argue with wang lung wei or hwang jang lee(they were great villians in every film they were in) :thumbsup

DragonClaws

Its hard to pick just one but I'd go with Bolo Yeung as Ling Chu in Ten Magnificent Killers. He doesn't get much screen time but there's just something about the way he plays the character. He's menacing and evil without being too over the top.

HJL for sure, he's convincing because you know he's a badass, Wang Lung Wei too.

Ku Feng is great at any role he plays, Lu Feng, Chang Yi.

I think Norman Chu is a great villain, with his good looks he can really pull off a smug prick, "the sword" comes to mind.

Secret Executioner

Hard to pick, there's so many of them.

Hwang Jang Lee or Ku Feng are always very solid bad guys and deliver when they get involved. I like Lo Lieh in Human Lanterns for how nuts he is too, and he provides great action too.

DragonClaws

Yusuaki Kurata is often very good, and he's a real life Martial Arts Master to boot. Ive never seen him play a hero but he just has that movie villain look.

Guest Anonymous
Yusuaki Kurata is often very good, and he's a real life Martial Arts Master to boot. Ive never seen him play a hero but he just has that movie villain look.

Yes but Secret Master was quite heartbreaking. He was such a good man too but his stupid cultural japanese imperial mindset caused him to literally fight his own student to the death and die in the process. I hated how it ended but what an awesome movie!!

Also I always thought most of the actors in these movies were martial arts masters in real life. Which ones are not martial arts masters. Do they have any training and were they simply just acrobats or what?

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

10/1 UPDATE:

Oh Lu has some company: Chan Wai Man.

Before I knew CWM really was like that with the Devil (a.k.a. #2 Triad), I thought how the heck does this guy essay bad men so darn well. 

I've done enough waffling about CWM's two most well known Sun Chung roles, but his nasty performance as Hao JieYing in The Proud Youth is the wuxia role that gets under my skin. He's a rapist (the subtitles are polite and call him a 'womanizer') and sword for hire. His attack on a little nun was pretty repulsive. I'd like to think the man was only acting but ugh ... that scene really creeps me out. The worst thing is though Sun Chung makes you feel a slight bit of empathy for this bastard later in the movie. In fact, it's Chan's role that makes this mess somewhat watchable which I don't like to admit, but there you go.

I wish Chan Wai Man had more screentime in My Rebellious Son as his samurai just sort of sat there and glowered at Fu Sheng. Considering the meaty villainous roles Sun Chung gave CWM throughout their working relationship I kind of felt this was just to exploit CWM's brilliant turn as Kembuchi king of the ninjas

but still...

Lu Feng

He was so subtly underhanded in Two Champions of Shaolin. He was also great in Shaolin Rescuers (and won the Award for Best Supporting Actor for that performance.)

I just adore Tiger from Shanghai 13. Such a smug, vicious baddie, ditto for Lu's most famous villain, the Centipede. Lu woke me up to villains, before that I ignored them outside of Lo Pan.

>>>

Runners Up

Lo Lieh in Human Lanterns, Pai Mei cracks me up.

Ku Feng in Avenging Eagle (probably my favorite villain of his. Such an evil :swearing )

BiggWill1988

Bolo is one of my personal favorite villians, Which movies?, Enter of the Dragon of course, Bloodsport, Double Impact, the Bruceplotions hes in, the Shaw brothers movies hes in etc etc. Why? because of his bulky look, strength, I love when he does the no look style!, and he menancing look.

Yueh Hua in Killer Clans and Sentimental Swordsman. Nothing like someone close to you trying to kill you secretly blaming other's

Ching Li in Sentimental Swordsman playing all of the men to kill Ti Lung while being beautiful!

and Chen Kuan-Tai in Crippled Avengers okay they hurt his son but no need to become a sociopath!

DragonClaws

Yes but Secret Master was quite heartbreaking. He was such a good man too but his stupid cultural japanese imperial mindset caused him to literally fight his own student to the death and die in the process. I hated how it ended but what an awesome movie!!

Also I always thought most of the actors in these movies were martial arts masters in real life. Which ones are not martial arts masters. Do they have any training and were they simply just acrobats or what?

Just be careful about giving away the ending to films for those who may not have seen them.

Not all the actors in these films are real Martial Artists, many came from the Opera schools in HK. They will have been given Martial Arts training but just not focused on it as much. For example Sammo Hung is a former Opera School student and a very capable Martial Artist. But he hasn't studied or trained in the Martial Arts like Hwang Jane Lee or Casanova Wong have for example. Leung Kar Yan never had any formal training, he picked up the moves easily because of his natural physical talents.

no doubt for me it would be Hwang Jang Lee....

BUT STILL,

another for me would be FUNG Hak-On..... he was so great in Warriors Two.... making everybody think he was an old fart and bang suddenly you got the crazy fight at the end of the movie..... and he did the villain in many movies, even without make up he was great...... I cant remember the scene when he plays the tailor trying to scissor cut Kwan Tak-Hing... was it Dreadnaught or the Magnificent Butcher ??

DragonClaws
no doubt for me it would be Hwang Jang Lee....

BUT STILL,

another for me would be FUNG Hak-On..... he was so great in Warriors Two.... making everybody think he was an old fart and bang suddenly you got the crazy fight at the end of the movie..... and he did the villain in many movies, even without make up he was great...... I cant remember the scene when he plays the tailor trying to scissor cut Kwan Tak-Hing... was it Dreadnaught or the Magnificent Butcher ??

That scene is in Dreadnaught and it always cracks me up watching it.

"Why do you need a pin to measure me?"

I recall Kwan Tak-Hing is smoking a pipe and still fights off Fung Hak-On with ease.

oh yeah, excellent scene !!! and very funny..... brilliant scenes with Kwan Tak-Hing..... loved the scenes he plays in Magnificent Butcher too.... well it's Wong Fei-Hung stuff hehe.....

DragonClaws

Its a funny scene and linking this to the dubbed or subbed thread I find this sequence funnier dubbed.

well you made me want to watch it dubbed now..... Ill check it out on youtube..... because I got perfect remastered versions of the movies but no dubbing.....

DragonClaws
well you made me want to watch it dubbed now..... Ill check it out on youtube..... because I got perfect remastered versions of the movies but no dubbing.....

That scene featured in The Best Of Martial Arts documentary and that's the first time I watched it.

wow looks like you have much more knowledge than me in kung fu movies..... I never saw or heard about this documentary..... I wont stop adding names to my lists..... its growing like hell since the revival of this forum hehe !!!

Secret Executioner
wow looks like you have much more knowledge than me in kung fu movies..... I never saw or heard about this documentary..... I wont stop adding names to my lists..... its growing like hell since the revival of this forum hehe !!!

During my time on kfc, I ggrew a huuuuuuuuuge list of movies to check out. So, welcome to the party. :tongueout

DragonClaws

Thank you, I have some knowledge but I'm no expert and you can never stop learning from other members such as yourself. You might find your to watch list never ends with this genre.

Archived