Sleepy Eyes of Death 1 through 8

Guest Sleepman

Guest Sleepman

Im considering buying all of these but i do not know much at all about the ratings ive heard the first two suck and collectively there is not much information to be read about the

series along the line of reviews.

If anyone has seen any of the films or all of them could they

give me a pointer or two. Rate them all or rate the ones youve

seen. Whatever the answers will be ther is some really beautifull and colorfull camera work going on in the previews ive seen of those films.

Help?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've heard nothing but good things about this series, and anything with the great Raizo Ichikawa is worth seeing in my book. I just noticed they have the first 4 of these in the video store by my house, so I'm about to check them out.

Guest KevinClo

This series is talked about occasionally on here. The main character has mysterious origins that give him his fictional technique: Engetsu-Sappo (The Full Moon Cut). Like other series about ronin, he travels around and has adventures with those he encounters. Christianity and the occult comes up a lot in the series as he usually encounters people who are using religion as a mask for their corruption. The series has good color visuals.

ive heard the first two suck

The second movie is pretty good in that you get to see how different strategies are used against his Full Moon Cut. I usually recommend the 2nd and then the 4th movie to my friends to see what the character is like. The 4th movie is good because it covers his origin story pretty well. They do have some reoccurring characters, but the thing is you do not really have to watch them in order.

The 1st movie does not do a good job in showing what the series is about. Nemuri seems a little out of character from the rest of the series. I can understand why some not like this one.

I have always felt that one of a bunch of things Animeigo has done where they have shot themselves in the foot over in the past is how they released this series. Originally, around 10 years ago, they released the first four movies and intended to do the rest in order in three month intervals. They did not sell well and they never completed the series. I remember people buying the first movie and reporting online that they did not think it was that good. I really thought they should have released them out of order because some of the best ones are near the end.

KC

Guest Sleepman

Tosh whats up! i have Hari Kari bro you have to swing by my house and pick it up send me your e-mail i doubt i still have your number.

Just started to get into samurai films man i love it i own 30

already.

Thanks for posting comments on this thread guys keep it up all the information i read helps

Guest Daisho2004

To me this series ranks right up there with Lone Wolf & Cub not as much action in some of the episodes but Great story lines, and when there is action it is really good, there are I believe 13 episodes in all. This is a must own series I just wish it got a legit release.

Just seen the first of the series, The Chinese Jade, I thought it was a great movie, it dragged out in parts, but I found it engaging throughout, the Chinese guy was an interesting twist. If there are better things to come, I can't wait to see the rest of these films.

Raizo Ichikawa is one of the best actors ever, right up there with Mifune and Nakadai, shame he past so young, amazing how Japan produced some of the best actors of all time, no one today can touch these guys, save Eastwood.

Sleepman check your inbox.

Guest hammyhamster27

one of my favorite series indeed.

The best are near the end though for sure (not to say the others aren't great) they are. But I really enjoyed the latter end of the series more.maybe this could be though I caught 8 through 12 in remastered format not 1 through 7.

I'm really wishing these get a proper retail release in R1 but I'm not holding my breath.

Some other faves on mine are the Tange Sazen series of movies(although repetitive they are fun to watch.

theres also Crimson bat (although only seen in eng Dubbed version) and grainy vhs to dvdr .

Guest vengeanceofhumanlanterns

"Raizo Ichikawa is one of the best actors ever, right up there with Mifune and Nakadai,"

In fact... all of the Sleepy Eyes Of Death films are worth owning.

I just seen the 2nd one, even better, unfortunely, they only have the first 3, but from what I've seen, I'll be looking in picking up the whole series.

Archived