Ant-Man (2015)

Secret Executioner

Secret Executioner

The latest Marvel about the superhero that can shrink down to microscopic size and talk to ants.

I went in with positive expectations (the trailer was okay and the movie sounded like some good ol' harmless fun, plus the little I knew of Ant-Man - an appearance in an early 1960s Fantastic Four story where he'd shrink them so that they could go save a microscopic people from Dr. Doom's despotic rule - was pretty fun), but had my worries on several subjects:

- Hank Pym is an old dude and Scott Lang is to be Ant-man ? Well, it turns out (through hints, flashbacks and the opening sequence) that Pym apparently didn't just invent the shrinking formula and the costume... These hints and flashbacks also address his wife Janet who is somehow missing in the film. Basically, it's more a Scott Lang-centered movie, but the classic Ant-Man mythology is well-respected (though Hank Pym doesn't seem to have gone through several aliases such as Yellowjacket - which is the name of the new version of the Ant-Man suit used by the bad guys -, Goliath, Giant-Man...).

- Yellowjacket is originally an alter-ego of Pym and is now completely unrelated to the point it's the main villain ? Well, it's partly Pym-related (it's based on the Ant-Man suit in the concept) and it makes for a nice villain (the armor looks okay and is impressive in action, though I found it looked a lot like Firefly in the animated series The Batman - which is still better than the very campy design from the original comiics, but still) when the two high-tech shrinking suits are at war in the climatic battle. However, the guy who invented and later wears the suit is a complete tool in the clicheed evil businessman/mad scientist he is.

What more do I have to add ? There is a lot of very funny comedy (courtesy of Lang's partners - who are way superior to the comic relief from movies like Thor: The Dark World -, as well as the great Stan Lee cameo - possibly the second best after the downright hilarious cameo from Amazing Spider-Man), the movie has a great tone as it's both dark and funny without getting schizophrenic like Iron Man 3 (it even has a very touching moment when the fate of Janet is addressed), the movie is clearly and well-inserted in the MCU (the opening scene features Howard Stark, you get the recurring bad guy since the 1940s interested in the Yellowjacket thing and there are some clear references to the Avengers) and the special effects are really impressive - better not see this film if you don't like little crawlers cause there are billions of ants in this and their scenes are very impressive.

Funny comedy, nice FX, a very epic climax and some nice action, throw in a major teaser for the future films in the post-credit scene and you get yourself what could be the best Marvel movie - a GREAT ending for this Phase 2 that began very low with the major dud called Iron Man 3. For me, it used to be the gritty thriller-like Captain America: The Winter Soldier (that or this year's Avengers: Age Of Ultron), but this film takes the cake (though not by too much). Highly recommended. :thumbsup

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Ant-Man here. I definitely want to see it, was thinking of taking my son. Would you say this film is ok for a 6 almost 7 year old to see?

The Parents Guide on IMDB is fairly detailed, seems like it would be ok.

Secret Executioner
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Ant-Man here. I definitely want to see it, was thinking of taking my son. Would you say this film is ok for a 6 almost 7 year old to see?

The Parents Guide on IMDB is fairly detailed, seems like it would be ok.

I guess it's safe for a kid that age, and he'll probably have a lot of fun. There were a lot of kids who must have been between 5 and 12 at the screening I went to and they all seemed to have a great time - they laughed a lot throughout the movie and even some stronger scenes (the flashback about Janet's demise, a scene where an ant is implied to have been shot or Yellowjacket attacking Lang's family) didn't seem too harsh for them.

I guess it's safe for a kid that age, and he'll probably have a lot of fun. There were a lot of kids who must have been between 5 and 12 at the screening I went to and they all seemed to have a great time - they laughed a lot throughout the movie and even some stronger scenes (the flashback about Janet's demise, a scene where an ant is implied to have been shot or Yellowjacket attacking Lang's family) didn't seem too harsh for them.

Thanks, sounds great. I know he wants to see Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015) next, but maybe we can go see Ant-Man at some point.

I thought Ant-Man was great fun. Solid 8/10. Great humor. A lot of very clever moments. Probably one of my favorite post-credit teasers as well. :rockon

I also loved Iron Man 3 too. Far from a dud in my opinion. :thumbsup

Great Review

Please don't take me back to my old addiction :shaking !! I saw all the Phase one movies and have most of them. The only phase 2 movie I haven't seen is Ant Man. I have an awesome complete encyclopedia of all the marvel characters. It really helped me get up to speed as I am not a comic book reader.

http://www.disneystore.com/books-entertainment-marvel-encyclopedia-2014-edition-book/mp/1363919/1000232/?srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42-73976110-2&CMP=KNC-DSSGoogle

Archived