Venom Mob let's discuss and update

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Wei Pei absolutely shines in Last Hurrah for Chivalry, I think the problem is he's surrounded was by such a depth of talent between the rest of them that he becomes the odd man out, he is also probably a good looking guy that pulls the pouty rich boy off to a T in 5DV(and KwtGA). Sun was definitely underused, none more so than in Human Lanterns. They were all an inspiration but Kuo Chui was the man, I remember doing flips off/on the couch and a couple neighborhood kids and me destroying my mother's living room a couple times after watching their movies on tv as a kid:monk_swinging:

chang7g.jpg

kc58_d.jpg

KuoChui-LoMeng-SunChienArticlesm.jpg

venomsjoga.jpg

venmsjogb.jpg

Edited by Tosh
  • Like 7

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

That picture of Sun Chien kicking - wow (too busy staring at Lu Feng looking swell in his bellbottoms.)  Seriously though, Sun was sadly underused. He was a good actor, a wonderful kicker and had terrific presence.

• Like 3

Where does Wang Li fit in? I always regarded him as an honorary part of the crew. Like Cappadonna with the Wu. He was in more films with the mob than Wei Pai.

Dude had some skills and his timing was on point. Could play one hell of a villain as well. What the hell ever happened to him?

Edited by FieryReign
  • Like 2

Where does Wang Li fit in? I always regarded him as an honorary part of the crew. Like Cappadonna with the Wu. He was in more films with the mob than Wei Pai.

Dude had some skills and his timing was on point. Could play one hell of a villain as well. What the hell ever happened to him?

Many of the "Crew" were in more Venoms films than certain Venoms themselves. Yet sadly get less attention because they weren't one of the original poison clan. Wang Li is a great example. I'll give another - Chu Ko. Shows insane skills with a trident and threatens to steal the show in Masked Avengers. I also really like Lung Tien Sheng (spearman in white) and always gladdened to see performances from some of the 2nd tier like Yu Tai Ping or Yang Hsiung.

• Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Many of the "Crew" were in more Venoms films than certain Venoms themselves. Yet sadly get less attention because they weren't one of the original poison clan. Wang Li is a great example. I'll give another - Chu Ko. Shows insane skills with a trident and threatens to steal the show in Masked Avengers. I also really like Lung Tien Sheng (spearman in white) and always gladdened to see performances from some of the 2nd tier like Yu Tai Ping or Yang Hsiung.

Agree, Cloud Hands. 

Chu Ko skills are insanely great and he's tied with Lu Feng as my favorite now.  Chu can do pretty much anything and literally throws himself into the fights (so many spontaneous flips, spits, and leaps.) It's been an absolute joy discovering Chu and seeing that he can equal Lu, Chiang, Ricky and Kwok with ease says something. 

• Like 2

Got to love that stache ...

WangLi.jpg

• Like 5

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks Tosh, I often still confuse Wang Li with Yu Tai-Ping and Kwan Fung. 

and yes Wang Li rocks that 'stach mightly. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I may be on - off with some of Kwok Choi performances lately, but am super thrilled to have Life Gamble available digitally.

His blacksmith character who traded his weapon smith skills for Kung fu techniques remains one of the coolest characters I have seen in these films, such a great concept.  No, I have no plans of seeing the remake.

And yes I quite like Lo Meng and his wig in this too.  Also fun is Chiang Sheng as the Deadly Whip. As for my dear Lu,  traditional part for him, fun but every other Venom is more entertaining here for me.

• Like 3

On 7/26/2015 at 0:05 PM, Lady Jin Szu-Yi said:

What little I know of Shapes, I have to agree with that, although I like that they lifted the Eagle Claw for the Snake 'fangs'.

So what are your favorite Venoms films (you've mentioned Chiang is your favorite of the bunch.)

According to a Lu Feng interview, the Snake style in the 5 Venoms was completely made up for the film.  The film took longer to complete due to this.  They thought this new Snake style would look good on screen.

• Like 3

I really wish there was a single definitive Venoms Fight, where it shows all of them at their very best.

In my opinion, the closest we got was the finale to Shaolin Rescuers, which was chock-full of good acrobatics, LOTS of weapons work (including the halberd, the hooks and Lu Feng's trademark Kwan do fighting), and a decent amount of hand-to-hand combat. Sadly, Sun Chien's prowess atop the poles doesn't make for his best footwork. 

The finale for Invincible Shaolin also comes close, but I think they should've given Lu Feng a weapon. And then Sun Chien was absent for the prolonged finale to The Daredevils. :(

• Like 4

On 3/1/2017 at 8:10 AM, DrNgor said:

I really wish there was a single definitive Venoms Fight, where it shows all of them at their very best.

In my opinion, the closest we got was the finale to Shaolin Rescuers, which was chock-full of good acrobatics, LOTS of weapons work (including the halberd, the hooks and Lu Feng's trademark Kwan do fighting), and a decent amount of hand-to-hand combat. Sadly, Sun Chien's prowess atop the poles doesn't make for his best footwork. 

The finale for Invincible Shaolin also comes close, but I think they should've given Lu Feng a weapon. And then Sun Chien was absent for the prolonged finale to The Daredevils. :(

After reading that first line I thought " Shaolin Rescuers", seems you had the same idea.

I just noticed that several of the Venoms and Venom related movies are on Amazon Prime. Glad I can finally check out some of the lesser known titles like Attack of the Joyful Godess or the Weird Man

• Like 2

On 11/14/2015 at 5:34 PM, Tosh said:

Wei Pei absolutely shines in Last Hurrah for Chivalry, I think the problem is he's surrounded was by such a depth of talent between the rest of them that he becomes the odd man out, he is also probably a good looking guy that pulls the pouty rich boy off to a T in 5DV(and KwtGA). Sun was definitely underused, none more so than in Human Lanterns. They were all an inspiration but Kuo Chui was the man, I remember doing flips off/on the couch and a couple neighborhood kids and me destroying my mother's living room a couple times after watching their movies on tv as a kid:monk_swinging:

chang7g.jpg

kc58_d.jpg

KuoChui-LoMeng-SunChienArticlesm.jpg

venomsjoga.jpg

venmsjogb.jpg

Love that shot of Sun Chien throwing a kick in his Adidas!

• Like 2

On 12/11/2016 at 3:45 PM, LuFengLover said:

According to a Lu Feng interview, the Snake style in the 5 Venoms was completely made up for the film.  The film took longer to complete due to this.  They thought this new Snake style would look good on screen.

And they were right about that too, the way they portrayed the two fingers as the fangs of the snake was cool as hell and added a new dimension to the way it was portrayed in the past.

• Like 3

Chu Liu Hsiang

Great compilation, and the music fits just prefectly. In many scenes you'd think the Venoms do hear it too and adapt their movement rhythm accordingly. 

• Like 4

Cognoscente

I wish they did a Venoms meets the Lucky Stars movie. It could have been about five comedians who need five bodyguards during a world tour.

• Like 3