Venom Mob let's discuss and update

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Why not?

I love these guys (especially Lu Feng, Lo Mang and Kuo Chui.)

I'll start with Lo Mang.

In an effort to try and track down the Lo Mang appearances I inquired about yesterday, I found an Asian piece which includes a photo of a http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/supplement/culture/art/20071107/10387078 13 year old Lo and pictures of the Lifetime Achievement Award he was given in Phily. There are some other great images too including a 'drag' moment. :rofl I wish I would have known about the Philly appearance I would have gone.

Lo Mang appeals to me not just because of his awesome mantis skills but I love that he always throws himself into a role 100%. Sure he can be over the top (Crippled Avengers is a wonderful example), but when given a chance to be more serious he'll run with it.

In fact, he wound up being my favorite character in Human Lanterns and Secret Service of the Imperial Court. And he makes Brave Archer 2 and 3 even more fun/understandable for me.

It's pretty cool that Ti Lung gave Lo the inspiration to leave numbers behind and get in front of the camera. I am glad Lo is still active today.

Mantis Kid

Kung Fu Kid

Life Gamble

Lo vs. Lu Invincible Shaolin

• Like 3

Secret Executioner

I don't remember Lo Meng in Human Lanterns. But again Lo Lieh's insane performance and the two vain a**holes played by Chen Kuan Tai and Anthony Lau clearly stole the show for me, so I may well have missed him (especially if he played a small part). It seems Sun Chien also appears in this one BTW, though I guess it must be another cameo where he doesn't get to show his talents (a recurring issue with this guy it seems).

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Lu Feng

I love Lu Feng for his acting as much I do for his martial / Peking opera skills. He was the first person whose acting really made me take notice in a martial arts film. He'll often steal the movie away from everyone else, always fun to see.

His weapons work is my favorite, just jaw-on-the-floor beautiful. And his fight choreography is equally great.

It is always fun to see him play against type

such as Legend of the Fox...

and as far as bad guys, he's always amazing:

Masked Avengers end fight:

A nice compilation of his fighting / acting skill... I love how underhanded he was in Two Champions of Shaolin. He made that film for me.

and, of course, Tiger from Shanghai 13. His fight with the Student... :love (I wish this was the dub used for Terracotta's release.)

I am a little bummed Lu retired from filmmaking; truly a talented man. I cannot wait to see the Centipede on the big screen soon. I'll be sporting his colors at the screening too.

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

Lu Feng is spectacular as The Centipede. And I really liked his Iron Palm in Invincible Shaolin. Impressive and deadly style here. :cool

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
I don't remember Lo Meng in Human Lanterns. But again Lo Lieh's insane performance and the two vain a**holes played by Chen Kuan Tai and Anthony Lau clearly stole the show for me, so I may well have missed him (especially if he played a small part). It seems Sun Chien also appears in this one BTW, though I guess it must be another cameo where he doesn't get to show his talents (a recurring issue with this guy it seems).

Certainly understandable that you missed him in the middle of those great performances. His role is a cameo.

Lo can be seen about 11 seconds into this trailer.

He plays the inept assassin Szu-Yi who had previous relations with Lo Lieh and was hired by Chen Kaun Tai to take out Anthony Lau. As great as Lo Lieh, Anthony Lau and Chen Kaun Tai are, Lo stood out to me because he was one of the very few half way decent people in the film and his initial bluster was quickly replaced by fear. He was not smart by any means, but I also love that his Mantis style literally looks like a praying mantis with the addition of the hook swords here.

Sun Chien is an equally inept cop and would have been at home in any Dario Argento giallo. :tongue out

>>>

And I love Lu as the Centipede (my gateway to his work); as badly as I want to watch Five Deadly Venoms again, I am holding off until after I see the film on the big screen.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Certainly understandable that you missed him in the middle of those great performances.

Lo can be seen about 11 seconds into this trailer.

He plays the inept assassin Szu-Yi who had previous relations with Lo Lieh and was hired by Chen Kaun Tai to take out Anthony Lau. As great as Lo Lieh, Anthony Lau and Chen Kaun Tai are, Lo stood out to me because he was one of the very few half way decent people in the film and his initial bluster was quickly replaced by fear. He was not smart by any means, but I also love that his Mantis style literally looks like a praying mantis with the addition of the hook swords here.

Sun Chien is an equally inept cop and would have been at home in any Dario Argento giallo. :tongueout

Yeah, people are really rotten in this film. Surprisingly, and I mentionned it on kfc, I found myself finding the psychopathetic murderer sympathetic seeing how pompous and vain the others were. He became what he was because of Anthony Lau's character after all (the guy dishonored him, mutilated him and took his girl).

And all the cops seem rather inept, just look at the climatic battle where Lo Lieh takes on everybody and actually stands up quite well on his own.

But back on topic (the Venom Mob actors), I mentionned Lu Feng in Invincible Shaolin, but Lo Meng's performance in this one is nice too - his Mantis fighter is probably my second favorite character in the movie right after Chiang Sheng's (whose fighting style here really blew my mind).

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Kuo Chui

Oh Philip Kwok... so wonderful. He's a big inspiration to me: you can do anything you set your mind to, his will and resolve are as amazing as his many, many skills.

He can do anything: shapes, fu, weapons work, act and choreograph, you name it.

I admit when I initially started watching the Venoms I was not sure who he was (always confusing him with Sun Chien and sometimes Chiang Sheng), but after seeing Life Gamble and being blown away by his performance, I made it a point to know who he is.

He makes every film more fun to watch and is another one of those folks whose work just leaves me speechless.

Another great tribute by kingofkungfu2002

a beautiful bit of acting in the Eye 2 (no martial arts)

and his take on Beggar So was hilarious here... (and the Cheech and Chong like voices in the dub only add to that.)

and for Hei, this delightful fight between Kuo and Gordon Liu from the Treasure Hunt. I love these two characters and wanted to know more about their relationship.

Here's the full fight

And, of course, I love the Lizard. Such a great character, Mr. He.

I am glad Philip is still doing fight choreography and would love to see him get the respect he so truly deserves outside of the community.

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Sun Chien

The often duplicative Mr. Chien was sadly underused in the Venoms films. I do not understand why. Sun was the most classically handsome of the bunch and a fantastic kicker. Good actor too. I have not seen Chinatown Kid yet (I just missed picking up the IVL on eBay), but I understand he had a star making performance in that.

For me, I loved Sun in Five Deadly Venoms, the Daredevils, Incinvible Shaolin, Heaven and Hell and Brave Archer 3 (his scholar was a delight.) When he was not playing both sides, Sun was a great hero and I liked how he was often cast as the most intelligent character. I just wish his TKD skills were used much, much more.

Beardy vs. Eddy Ko and Sun Chien

Nice tribute here by hollisprophet

and a montage of Sun Chien, Lu, Lo and Chiang Sheng from Brave Archer 3

Again, it's too bad Sun retired. He made me notice fans and Tae Kwon Do... one of these days I'll find a copy of Chinatown Kid and I look forward to seeing him in that film.

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

and

Chiang Sheng

Chiang Sheng was a wonderful acrobat and his charming, often goofy characters worked well in the Venoms films. I respect his work a little more each time I watch something he's in.

He was so much fun in Crippled Avengers and often brought a playful note to any fight sequence.

Chiang Sheng forms:

While I appreciate him taking on villain roles, not sure if that was a character he was comfortable playing. I did love his bit part in Life Gamble as the Deadly Whip.

It was interesting to hear that he preferred working behind the camera rather than in front. Such a talented guy, shame he passed away so young.

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

I find Sun Chieng highly underused. The guy was obviously skilled, but I always find his appearances in movies disappointing with how little he is involved in the action.

Chiang Sheng is probably my favorite overall (though in the original movie, I tend to enjoy Lo Meng's Toad and Lu Feng's Centipede more), I really enjoy his acrobatic in the few Venoms films I've seen. But the idea of him playing a villain doesn't sound good. I find a role as a goofy good guy fits him much better. Lu Feng however can be really cool as a baddie. :cool

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
I find Sun Chieng highly underused. The guy was obviously skilled, but I always find his appearances in movies disappointing with how little he is involved in the action.

Chiang Sheng is probably my favorite overall (though in the original movie, I tend to enjoy Lo Meng's Toad and Lu Feng's Centipede more), I really enjoy his acrobatic in the few Venoms films I've seen. But the idea of him playing a villain doesn't sound good. I find a role as a goofy good guy fits him much better. Lu Feng however can be really cool as a baddie. :cool

Agree about Sun and your comments about Chiang in villains roles.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Wei Pai

The Snake...

I liked the Snake's maneuvers, disliked the character. Wei has not made the impression on me the other Venoms did, but I understand he wanted to do more acting than fighting.

Still some great stuff here.

Wei vs. Sun Chien. And Sun is not amused.

Nice comp by That Puerto Rican

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

I kinda like the Snake, though the fact his style is called "Snake" but looks more like a mix of Eagle Claw and Mantis Fist and has zero to do with ACTUAL Snake Fist always bugs me. Still some nice action. :cool

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
I kinda like the Snake, though the fact his style is called "Snake" but looks more like a mix of Eagle Claw and Mantis Fist and has zero to do with ACTUAL Snake Fist always bugs me. Still some nice action. :cool

What little I know of Shapes, I have to agree with that, although I like that they lifted the Eagle Claw for the Snake 'fangs'.

So what are your favorite Venoms films (you've mentioned Chiang is your favorite of the bunch.)

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

What little I know of Shapes, I have to agree with that, although I like that they lifted the Eagle Claw for the Snake 'fangs'.

So what are your favorite Venoms films (you've mentioned Chiang is your favorite of the bunch.)

I only watched The Five Venoms and Invincible Shaolin so far, and I can't really pick one - maybe The Five Venoms would get the edge because of the masks and the more OTT styles (as opposed to the more realistic styles used in Invincible Shaolin).

I haven't read much about Shaolin Rescuers, but the description on yesasia and the premise make it sound really good. And the cast is also pretty sweet. A blind-buy, and I didn't bother checking it out to see if I picked well.

Two Champions Of Shaolin is another one I still have to watch, but I read a lot of praise so I guess it's another winner.

There's also a ton of Venom movies I haven't yet but that I wanna check out (Crippled Avengers, Flag Of Iron, Magnificent Ruffians...)

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I only watched The Five Venoms and Invincible Shaolin so far, and I can't really pick one - maybe The Five Venoms would get the edge because of the masks and the more OTT styles (as opposed to the more realistic styles used in Invincible Shaolin).

I haven't read much about Shaolin Rescuers, but the description on yesasia and the premise make it sound really good. And the cast is also pretty sweet. A blind-buy, and I didn't bother checking it out to see if I picked well.

Two Champions Of Shaolin is another one I still have to watch, but I read a lot of praise so I guess it's another winner.

There's also a ton of Venom movies I haven't yet but that I wanna check out (Crippled Avengers, Flag Of Iron, Magnificent Ruffians...)

You're in for a treat with all of those films. Lu Feng won an award for his work in Shaolin Rescuers. And Magnficient Ruffians is fun. Chiang Sheng does some beautiful double sword work in MR, he has a really fun role too. And Lu is just an absolute bastard even with that glorious Guan Do work... Crippled... is perhaps Chiang's movie, he's great in this. You'll enjoy this the most I think.

Flag of Iron is my least favorite of those but Lu is a lot of fun as the bad guy.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Ive been told a lot of good about Magnificent Ruffians and Flag Of Iron - notably on kungfucinema.

What really got me into Crippled Avengers is the review by Internet critic Brad Jones in his Cinema Snob persona. He used the English dub though, but the movie sounds like a lot of fun to watch nonetheless.

Shaolin Rescuers sounds great, had no idea Lu Feng won an Award for this. I'm somewhat convinced it will be to the Venoms what The Pirate is for David Chiang and Ti Lung: one little-discussed (on MA cinema forum that is, I have barely about either on kfc or on here) and underrated yet brilliant masterpiece.

• Like 1

and

Chiang Sheng

Chiang Sheng was a wonderful acrobat and his charming, often goofy characters worked well in the Venoms films. I respect his work a little more each time I watch something he's in.

While I appreciate him taking on villain roles, not sure if that was a character he was comfortable playing. I did love his bit part in Life Gamble as the Deadly Whip.

It was interesting to hear that he preferred working behind the camera rather than in front. Such a talented guy, shame he passed away so young.

I find some of his roles to fall in that "silly" character that can be annoying, especially in Crippled Avengers, but I have a soft spot for him because he died so sadly and heartbroken. :crying

I posted a Rap Tribute to him in the Music Video section. Not a huge Rap fan but It's got good clips of him.

• Like 1

My favorite Venom film is Crippled Avengers with Lo Meng as Blacksmith Wei and Kuo Chue as Chan Sun are my favorite Venoms. Chang Cheh really took brotherhood to a new level with them holding hands most of the last part of the movie!!

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I rewatched The Magnificent Ruffians over the weekend and while I loved the weapons choreography from my first viewing, I was absolutely blown away the second time. I really saw how closely Kuo Chui, Chiang Sheng and Lu Feng worked together (especially the former two as they plot moves on how to survive and perhaps defeat Lu's insane Kwan Do wielder.)

I already enjoyed their characters (and Sun Chien), but I caught so much more the second time. Simple story told and executed very, very well. So glad I was able to find the IVL release for a good price. Definitely up there among my favorite Venoms mob films.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner
I rewatched The Magnificent Ruffians over the weekend and while I loved the weapons choreography from my first viewing, I was absolutely blown away the second time. I really saw how closely Kuo Chui, Chiang Sheng and Lu Feng worked together (especially the former two as they plot moves on how to survive and perhaps defeat Lu's insane Kwan Do wielder.)

I already enjoyed their characters (and Sun Chien), but I caught so much more the second time. Simple story told and executed very, very well. So glad I was able to find the IVL release for a good price. Definitely up there among my favorite Venoms mob films.

It's one film I read a lot of good stuff about - seems like it definitely lives up to the hype it gets.

• Like 1

Hope you all excuse the late entry I'm new to the fold(enters discussion with a deep bow)I am going to speak on my personal favorite poison clan member,Number #4 Kuo chui or philp kwok chow fung the Lizard.He is the most prolific of the group in my opinion because even after he left the shaw studios he was never without work.He had a versatility that ranged from acting,choreographing,martial arts,acrobatics,you name it.

"The Pops" Lau kar Leung

Himself recommended him to Chang Cheh because he knew talent when he saw it.What impressed me the most about Kuo chui was that he had a disability but it never hindered him or was it noticable unless you pressed pause on your vcr or dvd player real quick and timed it right.He had missing fingers on his right hand,that was the result of an unfortunate workshop accident.But the way he tumbled,somersaulted,fought,handled weapons...It never fazed him and he could kung fu with the best of them.He was and still is one of my Eastern Heroes.

He still manages to work in both Asia and occasionally hollywood.I remember when I caught a glimpse of him in tommorow never dies glaring wordlessly at Pierce Bronson as he walked by.I couldn't help crying out"Number 4 Lizard! Of course I was among people who didn't know what the hell I was talking about but that's cool because I knew.I wonder to this day what would it have been like if the venom mob had stayed together and continued doing movies outside of shaw bros.

To this day there's unrecovered footage of Jackie Chan squaring off against Kuo Chui but according to Kuo, Stanley Tong one of jackie's stunt teammates and regular choreographers was being a prick and didn't want to use the footage.So Kuo said "what's the use of this exercise?" And stalked off the set.Could you imagine seeing those two scrap in their prime? Or what was left of it anyway.

Chiang sheng had a whole lot of untapped potential too.His death was too sudden and tragic and it stings seeing how him,Lu feng,And Kuo chui were the best three man team that could've been still been doing their thing whether if it was with the rest of the venom gang or just them as a trio."Poison clan rocks the world!" Salute!

Edited by kokuryuha
  • Like 2

Hope you all excuse the late entry I'm new to the fold(enters discussion with a deep bow)I am going to speak on my personal favorite poison clan member,Number #4 Kuo chui or philp kwok chow fung the Lizard.He is the most prolific of the group in my opinion because even after he left the shaw studios he was never without work.He had a versatility that ranged from acting,choreographing,martial arts,acrobatics,you name it."The Pops" Lau kar Leung

Himself recommended him to Chang Cheh because he knew talent when he saw it.What impressed me the most about Kuo chui was that he had a disability but it never hindered him or was it noticable unless you pressed pause on your vcr or dvd player real quick and timed it right.He had missing fingers on his left hand? That was the result of an unfortunate workshop accident.But the way he tumbled,somersaulted,fought,handled weapons...It never fazed him and he could kung fu with the best of them.He was and still is one of my Eastern Heroes.He still manages to work in both Asia and occasionally hollywood.I remember when I caught a glimpse of him in tommorow never dies glaring wordlessly at Pierce Bronson as he walked by.I couldn't help crying out"Number 4 Lizard! Of course I was among people who didn't know what the hell I was talking about but that's cool because I knew.I wonder to this day what would it have been like if the venom mob had stayed together and continued doing movies outside of shaw bros.To this day there's unrecovered footage of Jackie Chan squaring off against Kuo Chui but according to Kuo, Stanley Tong one of jackie's stunt teammates and regular choreographers was being a prick and didn't want to use the footage.So Kuo said "what's the use of this exercise?" And stalked off the set.Could you imagine seeing those two scrap in their prime? Or what was left of it anyway.Chiang sheng had a whole lot of untapped potential too.His death was too sudden and tragic and it stings seeing how him,Lu feng,And Kuo chui was the best three man team that could've been still been doing their thing whether if it was with the rest of the venom gang or just them as a trio."Poison clan rocks the world!" Salute!

Welcome kokuryuha :hi ,

It's never too late to join the party! Especially with a little background information on our favorite actors. I love the information as I find that since in Chinese society "face" is everything we do not get to hear of many behinds the scenes things like we would with Hollywood actors! I would have liked to have seen him in a fight with Jackie Chan. I wonder if there is any footage floating around!

Here I found a like to an interview of him he talks about the films and his entry into this field

http://changcheh.0catch.com/kuo-int.htm

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Welcome Kokuryuha.

Kwok amazes me on many, many levels. The Lizard is my favorite character of his along with Hai Tao from Kid with the Golden Arm.

The man is a huge inspiration to me as far as you can do anything you set your mind to.

Indeed his versatility and willful nature to try just about anything (and master it) makes for a great watch. I am not a fan of everything he's done, but he's made me appreciate acrobatics, the use of the pole staff and acting in these films. And I just love whenever he faces off against Lu Feng.

I wish he got the props he so rightly deserves, he truly is unique and is fun to watch (over and over again.)

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I love the Five Point formation here. And the fight between Kwok Choi and Chu Ko is all kinds of great. (Ko does a lot of spontaneous splits...)

Interestingly  Shaws filmed a version of Sword Stained with Royal Blood a year before this one (Swift Sword) with mostly unknowns and a shorter running time. This film has a fun soap opera story (well okay not Candy Wen); and this is definitely a Venoms film to seek out for the characters and this epic fight. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 2