Kwan Tak Hing

Hei Meigui

Grandfather Kwan Tak Hing

Dreadnaught Subbed

and because I'm no hater Dubbed

Here is a tribute clip. I know I saw a fan subbed older film of his I'm still looking

On 6/21/2021 at 9:06 AM, Cognoscente said:

120552577_1214425252254857_9045534951125360280_n.jpg

150838502_1317185911978790_1615577049582429452_n.jpg

Shih Kien and Kwan Tak Hing were cast as opponents in so many Black and White Cantonese martial arts  movies !

• Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1

With the brilliant news about The Skyhawk finally coming to the UK, I'd love to watch some of Kwan Tak Hing's classic Wong Fei Hung films. I assume there are no/very few DVD releases, even less ones that can play in the UK. Is there anywhere to watch them with subs? Is scouring YouTube the best bet? It's sad really, they are vital documents of Hong Kong cinema. A boxset of a hundred films would probably be pushing it but you would think a selection would have been released.

• Like 5

legendarycurry
10 minutes ago, SamSeed said:

With the brilliant news about The Skyhawk finally coming to the UK, I'd love to watch some of Kwan Tak Hing's classic Wong Fei Hung films. I assume there are no/very few DVD releases, even less ones that can play in the UK. Is there anywhere to watch them with subs? Is scouring YouTube the best bet? It's sad really, they are vital documents of Hong Kong cinema. A boxset of a hundred films would probably be pushing it but you would think a selection would have been released.

Letterboxd only listing 33 acting credits for Kwan Tak Hing is taking me back to the time Bruceploitation films where on Bruce Lee's list of IMDB credits.

• Like 5

BornToDefense

Sadly most old WFH films I've found are on youtube and I've only ever come across the first one, The Story of Wong Fei-hung, Part 1: Wong Fei-hung's Whip That Smacks the Candle, with Eng subs. I know a few came out on VCD/DVD back in the day but idk how many. A lot of the stuff on youtube seems to be from TV. This channel seems pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/@cantonesefilm_old

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BornToDefense said:

Sadly most old WFH films I've found are on youtube and I've only ever come across the first one, The Story of Wong Fei-hung, Part 1: Wong Fei-hung's Whip That Smacks the Candle, with Eng subs. I know a few came out on VCD/DVD back in the day but idk how many. A lot of the stuff on youtube seems to be from TV. This channel seems pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/@cantonesefilm_old

This is a very good chanel for old cantonese movies. Only down thing is most of them have no subtitels....

Have some of the old Wong Fei Hung movies on VCD from Universe but without subtitels too. Quality is good. You can watch them even on a 4k TV because they are in b&w and 4:3. But always disturbing is when watching old fu movies from this time there is no fight dubbing. Without kick and punch noise the fights act slow even they are. It is so nice to see Yuen Siu-Tin in younger age and Shih Kien in Wong Fei Hung movies. Some of the later ones of the 50's and 60's feature Lau Kar-Leung too. And most of the time you can see real kung fu masters showing their style on imaginations on the street or in kung fu schools. I like this movies and hope some day we will see a few of them on Blu remastered.

imaginations
  • Like 5