Ti Lung

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

A thread to discuss all things Ti Lung...films, characters, etc.

English interview:

and the interview from the Water Margin

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x28ny7u_elegant-trails-ti-lung_creation

A nice Facebook fan club

https://www.facebook.com/TiLung.Fans

also a tumblr by the same person http://naomiriam.tumblr.com

Ti snuck up on me, it's his acting as much as his martial ability. And yes he's very handsome, but that to me is the icing on the cake. I can watch him in pretty much anything.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

First heard of him when I got Legend Of The Bat, so for a while he was "the guy from Legend Of The Bat".

Several movies of his later, I'd say my favorite performances of his are New One-Armed Swordsman (I like his merry fearless character here, he's a lot of fun), The Pirate (though David Chiang is my favorite in this one, Ti Lung is solid as this Robin Hood-like pirate) and the despicable bastard (with a nice moustache) from The Blood Brothers. And I really hated him in Have Sword, Will Travel. He was such an uninteresting d**khead in this one, it made me hate the whole thing. David Chiang was solid (and his fate was really one great moment as far as sad stuff in Shaw Bros goes) and the action was nice, but Ti Lung's character really rained on the parade.

On a sidenote, I think I REALLY need help now, I seem to obsess over his moustache whenever The Blood Brothers is brought up...

• Like 1

legendarycurry

Cool, thanks for posting the Ti Lung Elegant Trails interview from my short-liived Dailymotion channel. was just about to link to it myself :smile That interview is from The Avenging Eagle DVD from IVL btw.

Ti Lung is truly one of the legends

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
Cool, thanks for posting the Ti Lung Elegant Trails interview from my short-liived Dailymotion channel. was just about to link to it myself :smile That interview is from The Avenging Eagle DVD from IVL btw.

Ti Lung is truly one of the legends

Thanks for posting that video at your channel and the info legendarycurry. I do not have the U.S. Water Margin dvd yet, but I saw this interview was included as an extra.

Before I knew who Ti was, I was greatly impressed by his turn as the Emperor gone Monk in Brave Archer 3. Since then it is easy to see why people hold him in such high esteem.

First heard of him when I got Legend Of The Bat, so for a while he was "the guy from Legend Of The Bat".

Several movies of his later, I'd say my favorite performances of his are New One-Armed Swordsman (I like his merry fearless character here, he's a lot of fun), The Pirate (though David Chiang is my favorite in this one, Ti Lung is solid as this Robin Hood-like pirate) and the despicable bastard (with a nice moustache) from The Blood Brothers. And I really hated him in Have Sword, Will Travel. He was such an uninteresting d**khead in this one, it made me hate the whole thing. David Chiang was solid (and his fate was really one great moment as far as sad stuff in Shaw Bros goes) and the action was nice, but Ti Lung's character really rained on the parade.

On a sidenote, I think I REALLY need help now, I seem to obsess over his moustache whenever The Blood Brothers is brought up...

LOL SE. Mustache envy. I haven't seen NOAS or the Pirate yet, hopefully somewhere down the line. He was great in Blood Brothers and I've liked him in just about everything I have seen even if I did not understand or like the film. After seeing Vengeance last night, I wished he was in the film for a few moments longer. He and David really had a great chemistry and their opposing styles or personas worked well (David the slick, cool thug and Ti the more stoic, brash.)

The role I keep thinking of is Tuan from The Deadly Breaking Sword. I am so delighted by what an absolute arrogant bastard he was (and I love his gimmicks in the film), and it was almost a bummer to see him grow and become more kindly and true to his code as the film went on. I am kind of stuck on that character right now (as much as I love Xiao from Swordsman and Enchantress)...

I've got A Better Tomorrow and it's sequel sitting here, so after I finish Lion vs. Lion (*sigh*) I might pop one of those in.

• Like 1

legendarycurry

Thanks for posting that video at your channel and the info legendarycurry. I do not have the U.S. Water Margin dvd yet, but I saw this interview was included as an extra.

No problem! I haven't seen the US Water Margin Dvd but that was a nice inteview., The IVL DVD for Avenging Eagle has both Elegant Trails: Ti Lung and an Elegant Trail feature on Fu Sheng too, which I also posted

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

It sounds a bit curious they'd put a Ti Lung feature on a release of The Water Margin. Ti Lung essentially makes a cameo at the beginnng and is nowhere near a preeminent player in this film. :thinking

And speaking of The Avenging Eagle, I have the Dragon Dynasty DVD sitting somewhere waiting. I really should watch it (thanks again to ShawAngela from the old kungfucinema.com forum for providing me with it).

• Like 1

legendarycurry
It sounds a bit curious they'd put a Ti Lung feature on a release of The Water Margin. Ti Lung essentially makes a cameo at the beginnng and is nowhere near a preeminent player in this film. :thinking

And speaking of The Avenging Eagle, I have the Dragon Dynasty DVD sitting somewhere waiting. I really should watch it (thanks again to ShawAngela from the old kungfucinema.com forum for providing me with it).

Part of me regrets not getting the Dragon Dynasty version of Avenging Eagle because I hear the IVL version is slightly cut. But the IVL version has cantonese and mandarin audio options and the Elegant trails extras so I'm cool with it :smile

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Part of me regrets not getting the Dragon Dynasty version of Avenging Eagle because I hear the IVL version is slightly cut. But the IVL version has cantonese and mandarin audio options and the Elegant trails extras so I'm cool with it :smile

The Dragon Dynasty Avenging Eagle is still readily available for a cheap price in case you were interested, but the IVL does sound like it has some great extras.

>>>

I just finished Spiritual Boxer (1975) I enjoyed it, but really wished that the 'real' spiritual boxers of the awesome opening sequence were the subject of the story. I think that would have been a nice juxtaposition for Lau Kar Leung's Legendary Weapons of China. Besides, I wanted a lot more with Ti, Chen Kuan Tai and Wilson Tong's extremely cool priest. That was such a fun sequence for me and I did not want it to end.

---

I watched A Better Tomorrow earlier today. Not my cup as I am more of a wu xia / historical fan when it comes to these films. Still, I have A Better Tomorrow II sitting here and I'll give that a whirl since I did wind up appreciating Hard Boiled despite not being into that kind of film.

• Like 1

theThirdMaster

The Dragon Dynasty still has the final fight scene cut. I'm pretty sure the IVL and the Dragon Dynasty use the same transfer/source from Celestial. You can find the cut scene on

(I think there's another on youtube without all that combing, but I can't find it at the moment). Unfortunately the cut scene is actually pretty damn good. But it is what it is. Maybe one day.
  • Like 1

The Dragon Dynasty still has the final fight scene cut. I'm pretty sure the IVL and the Dragon Dynasty use the same transfer/source from Celestial. You can find the cut scene on

(I think there's another on youtube without all that combing, but I can't find it at the moment). Unfortunately the cut scene is actually pretty damn good. But it is what it is. Maybe one day.

I looked at that clip and it looks like what I saw from my iTunes version which is Celestial. Ill have to check. Was it totally omitted in the shortened version?

• Like 2

Secret Executioner

The DD release only has Mandarin and English audio tracks. But still, the film is presented in Widescreen and that's GREAT. :cool

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks for posting that. Great to see. I wonder why it was cut?

• Like 1

I'll be honest I haven't seen many films with Ti Lung. But the image that pops in my head everytime I see or hear the name is his character from "Five Shaolin Masters". I just love his pink get up with the monk straw hat carrying the back pack.

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I've been rewatching more of  Ti's films lately and am paying a lot of attention to his martial arts prowess; whether he's performing Wing Chun (I love those scenes in Shaolin Temple) or busting people up with pole weapons, it's been fun to really focus on that aspect of his performances. 

• Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
8 hours ago, teako170 said:

Hi. Is this the one you need?

TI0.thumb.jpg.3b550242cf77898a0aa5d44fb6

Yes sir. 

Thanks, as always, Teako. 

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

And an image of Ti's then newly inked Dragon shoulder tattoos (covering his Iron Triangle era birds, anchors and such.) Apparently he's had a lot more done (back, inner forearms and possibly his chest.  I can confirm the inner forearms because they stood out so prominently in the early moments of Mercenaries From Hong Kong)

Credit where credit is due, from Sylvia Rorem's action land:

3Dragons.jpg

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Just a nice, epic shot from The Delightful Forest... (needs to watch this a fourth time to see if that's the charm. :tongueout)

Stumbled into watching part of The Magic Blade last night and got utterly lost in the martial scenes (the forest chien formation is crazy fun...)

delightful-forest-1972-ti-lung.jpg

• Like 2

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Some late 2010 footage of Sifu Ti demonstrating Wing Chun!!! 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 3
  • Buddha Bless You 1