Sammo Hung

legendarycurry

legendarycurry

Didn't see a Sammo thread so had to make one. He is my favorute director, actor and choreographer. To me Bruce Lee and Sammo hung are the two legends, I'd say Sammo was the natural sucessor to Bruce Lee at GH, always being innovative.

Some of my Sammo favorites include:

Prodigal Son (all-time fave)

Pedicab Driver

The Victim

Knockabout

Eastern Condors

Shanghai Express

My Lucky Stars

Encounters of the Spooky Kind

The list goes on and on and on.

I'm glad he is still working today as both an actor and a choreographer and he seems to be on good terms with both Yuen Biao and Jackie Chan so i am hoping for a project that features all three of them someday soon (There is always hope).

Sadly Sammo (and probably many filmmakers in HK today in general) doesn't have the same influence that he once used to back in the Golden Harvest days, where he could just gather up an allstar cast and create fun big budget experiences complete with excellent action, impressive sets and location shooting. We might not get a film in the classic Sammo "Lunar new Year" film style anymore, or movies like Prodigal Son where the cast and crew spend a whole year on perfecting a martial arts film, but we still get to see Sammo delivering solid performances and excellent choreography.

As happy as I am that Donnie Yen and Yuen Woo Ping are abck together, I really would ahve wanted Sammo to handle the action in Yip Man 3 as Sammo is the guy for Wing Chun choreography IMHO.

• Like 6

Secret Executioner

I agree with your last comments, Sammo provided some great choreography in the first Ip Man movie and in The Legend Is Born. This second film could my fav' Sammo movie (though he's in it for a rather short time), but I haven't seen that much of his stuff. Other of his films I really enjoyed:

Project A (he and Jackie go along GREAT here)

Winners And Sinners (his character here is great, though the Lucky Stars people are all really fun)

• Like 1

Beside the obvious (and amazing) physical skills he possesses, I always thought he was one of the best actors in the genre. He is definitely one of my favorites as well.

Sadly Sammo (and probably many filmmakers in HK today in general) doesn't have the same influence that he once used to back in the Golden Harvest days, where he could just gather up an allstar cast and create fun big budget experiences complete with excellent action, impressive sets and location shooting.

Is that really the case, or is it more a sign of the tastes of the audiences in Hong Kong today? I'm guessing that they just think there is no money to be made from those kinds of films anymore.

• Like 1

The style of fight choreography he was famous for ended a long time ago,there's just nobody around anymore who can do the stuff they used to do.He in my opinion was a far better Kung fu choreographer than Jackie chan because he was more schooled in traditional Kung fu.(Jackie I think was a better choreographer in the modern style of use your surroundings kind of action)Samo hung is one of the greatest and I think all the greats should get back together and do one last Full on Kung fu movie

• Like 1

legendarycurry
Beside the obvious (and amazing) physical skills he possesses, I always thought he was one of the best actors in the genre. He is definitely one of my favorites as well.

Is that really the case, or is it more a sign of the tastes of the audiences in Hong Kong today? I'm guessing that they just think there is no money to be made from those kinds of films anymore.

well, the whole "Lunar new year Movie" is always a big cashgrab even today, They get a big cast together have them do things on screen and you sell tickets, usually some sort of caper or romantic comedy, lighter entertainment etc, Think in the vein of the "All's Well's Ends Well " films. But the stars that fills the seats these days might not be the same people that were once poster names in Sammo's classic from the 80's :(

Money for the type of big action movies that Sammo could put together, would these days have to come from Mainland Chinese studios, with films catered more towards that specific market. So films like say Millionaire's Express, My Lucky stars etc are not likely to be made these days in Hong Kong.

He Hasn't directed a film in n nearly 20 years which is a shame. and a lot of the studios where he was "the man" are sadly not around anymore. He was the founder of Bo Ho pictures (last film 1992's Operation Scorpio) co-founder of Gar Bo (last film Odd Couple 1979) and Co-founder of D &B (Last Film 1992's Black Cat 2). His last film for Golden Harvest as director was Mr Nice Guy.

I am still hopeful that someday we will see a big budget Sammo directed project, but it seems unlikely esoecially without inteference form Mainland Chinese investors. Alos, though allstar casted comedies get money,and action movies like Yip Man etc do perform, they don't perform as well as major holywood special effects extravaganzas and disaster movies, so you do have a point that audiences might not come running to see a movie in the more classic Samo Hung style.

• Like 2

legendarycurry
I agree with your last comments, Sammo provided some great choreography in the first Ip Man movie and in The Legend Is Born. This second film could my fav' Sammo movie (though he's in it for a rather short time), but I haven't seen that much of his stuff. Other of his films I really enjoyed:

Project A (he and Jackie go along GREAT here)

Winners And Sinners (his character here is great, though the Lucky Stars people are all really fun)

I def recommend you check out more stuff from Sammo :smile

• Like 1

legendarycurry
The style of fight choreography he was famous for ended a long time ago,there's just nobody around anymore who can do the stuff they used to do.He in my opinion was a far better Kung fu choreographer than Jackie chan because he was more schooled in traditional Kung fu.(Jackie I think was a better choreographer in the modern style of use your surroundings kind of action)Samo hung is one of the greatest and I think all the greats should get back together and do one last Full on Kung fu movie

I agree, hoping for that All-stars movie someday :smile

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

I def recommend you check out more stuff from Sammo :smile

I have a few more of his films, First Mission and My Lucky Stars notably. :nodding

• Like 1

legendarycurry

I have a few more of his films, First Mission and My Lucky Stars notably. :nodding

Both great films! Have you seen "Prodigal Son" my favorite!

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

Both great films! Have you seen "Prodigal Son" my favorite!

Read a lot of praise, but never got to see it sadly. :shaking

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Of the comedic talents, I always did prefer Sammo over Jackie.

I've seen a lot of his 70s work and Encounters of the Spooky Kind eons ago. I love his choreography and could watch him do weapons work for a couple of hours easily. Sammo has a fun way about him that makes him a joy to watch. Sometimes his humor works, sometimes it does not, but I do not mind.

I love the Victim and Warriors Two. Besides Dick Wei, I think Sammo was the other entertaining actor in Project A.

I haven't seen any of the Ip Man films or The Grandmaster, so I am not up to snuff on more current work. Eventually.

• Like 1

Secret Executioner

IIRC, Sammo didn't do the choreography for The Grandmaster and he certainly didn't for Final Fight and the ucoming Ip Man 3 (Yuen Woo-Ping is working on this one instead). But the first Ip Man and The Legend Is Born are two very solid films, highly recommended - not just in terms of choreography and action, but the acting, the character development and the looks are really nicely done. :thumbsup

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi
IIRC, Sammo didn't do the choreography for The Grandmaster and he certainly didn't for Final Fight and the ucoming Ip Man 3 (Yuen Woo-Ping is working on this one instead). But the first Ip Man and The Legend Is Born are two very solid films, highly recommended - not just in terms of choreography and action, but the acting, the character development and the looks are really nicely done. :thumbsup

Thanks for the info and recommendations SE.

• Like 1

Sammo without a doubt  will always be in my top ten list whether living or dearly departed.His contributions and trendsetting will forever be remembered and he still has a lot to offer.But as the great lau kar leung once said:CGI will take the place of the martial arts actor if we're not careful.When you have cgi and big budgets that just want to go with the fads instead of the tried and true formula like sammo and others like sifu Lau used in the past then that type of style is no longer accepted or appreciated as much.

I showed someone pedicab driver for the first time in their life and they preferred the grandmaster movie over that because they felt the fighting was better and more realistic.That being said...Sammo's choreography is up against commercial stuff that is the boom right now.Still,the man is called DaGe(Big brother)amongst his peers for a reason.He earned that distinction and respect and will always have his place in asian cinema and our hearts.

Edited by kokuryuha
  • Like 3

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

kingofkungfu2002, you make some of the best youtube tributes and that Sammo Hung piece is a great example of your work. Thanks for posting that. :smile

Watching that reminds me The Victim and The Odd Couple remain two of my favorite fu films. Were it not for The Victim I don't think I'd be a part of this great community. It's nice to see him pop up in Angela Mao's films as I make my way through the Angela Mao Ying collection. 

Edited by Lady Jin Szu-Yi
  • Like 3

kingofkungfu2002

kingofkungfu2002, you make some of the best youtube tributes and that Sammo Hung piece is a great example of your work. Thanks for posting that. :smile

Thanks for the kind words, it's much appreciated. I'm particularly proud of this one, and think this is my favourite one that I've done.:smile

• Like 3

ShaOW!linDude

Phenomenal tribute video!!!! Definitely my favorite of all you've done so far, and you do such good stuff! I noticed some of the clips were from the Martial Law TV series, but can you please list the films you selected clips from? I'm seeing snippets from movies I've not seen before.

• Like 1

There's no doubt that Sammo is GREATin all what he does !! And watching this clip made me realize that there are still a lot of movies of his that I have to watch/find !! Thanks for the clip.

• Like 2

• Administrator

Thanks for the kind words, it's much appreciated. I'm particularly proud of this one, and think this is my favourite one that I've done.:smile

Kingofkungfu2002 you have outdone yourself- this tribute clip is excellent! You should be proud brother. You obviously put a tremendous amount of work, and many hours into creating this. So impressive and entertaining.

Also, I love that you dedicated to our lost brother Tony. You are a class act my friend.

Watching that reminds me The Victim and The Odd Couple remain two of my favorite fu films. Were it not for The Victim I don't think I'd be a part of this great community.

It's interesting that when my friends and I discuss our 'favorite Hong Kong films' just how many of them are directed, choreographed, and or featuring Sammo Hung. Where would we fans be without him?

It's nice to see him pop up in Angela Mao's films as I make my way through the Angela Mao Ying collection. 

And what a long and eclectic string of characters he has played! When you see photos of him from all these early roles he's sort of like the Lon Chaney Sr.- 'Man of a 1,000 Faces' of Hong Kong cinema (except he didn't create his own makeups... as far as we know)!

Phenomenal tribute video!!!! Definitely my favorite of all you've done so far, and you do such good stuff! I noticed some of the clips were from the Martial Law TV series, but can you please list the films you selected clips from? I'm seeing snippets from movies I've not seen before.

Man, it would probably take him as long to list all the titles as it did for him to create the video! If you mention specific bits that you are interested in and their time marks, I'd be happy to help you ID the clips. I didn't see anything that I didn't recognize.

There's no doubt that Sammo is GREATin all what he does !! And watching this clip made me realize that there are still a lot of movies of his that I have to watch/find !! Thanks for the clip.

I wish it were a never-ending supply, but we are certainly lucky at the sheer amount of work he has provided us with, and continues to create for us to watch.

• Like 2

kingofkungfu2002

Man, it would probably take him as long to list all the titles as it did for him to create the video! If you mention specific bits that you are interested in and their time marks, I'd be happy to help you ID the clips. I didn't see anything that I didn't recognize.

Haha, yes it probably would. Bob's idea would probably be best:tongueout

Edited by kingofkungfu2002

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Kingofkungfu2002 you have outdone yourself- this tribute clip is excellent! You should be proud brother. You obviously put a tremendous amount of work, and many hours into creating this. So impressive and entertaining.

Also, I love that you dedicated to our lost brother Tony. You are a class act my friend.

It's interesting that when my friends and I discuss our 'favorite Hong Kong films' just how many of them are directed, choreographed, and or featuring Sammo Hung. Where would we fans be without him?

And what a long and eclectic string of characters he has played! When you see photos of him from all these early roles he's sort of like the Lon Chaney Sr.- 'Man of a 1,000 Faces' of Hong Kong cinema (except he didn't create his own makeups... as far as we know)!

I wish it were a never-ending supply, but we are certainly lucky at the sheer amount of work he has provided us with, and continues to create for us to watch.

Sammo is such a special talent. He makes everything look so easy and fun.  It doesn't surprise me that so many people you speak with mention him when talking about favorite HK films.   Re: make ups, that's for sure. He has fun getting into characters and it's always neat to see someone become anyone. I was second guessing the first couple of times about Sammo watching Broken Oath (1977). 

One of these days I'll snag the Sammo training shirt...I hope it won't be sold out by then. 

I've seen so little of his output, but it's nice to know there is a lot more to watch. 

Someone forwarded the tribute onto Bey Logan, who loved it, so maybe he might show it to Sammo one day. :cool

Well deserved kingofkungfu2002. I hope Bey does show it to Sammo. 

Excellent Sammo tribute, kingofkungfu2002. It makes me realize that I have seen most of his early films pre 1985 but very few of of his later films. I will have to remedy that.

• Like 1