What's Your Favorite Billy Chong Movie?

KenHashibe

I love Billy Chong's movies. He's an Indonesian actor who had a short filmography in Hong Kong (he appeared in 11 films, 8 starring roles with Eternal Film Co), but he's been recognized by kung fu movie fans over the years.

I think my favorite film of his is A Fist Full of Talons. Awesome movie with a nice atmosphere and cool wire-fu fights! I first saw A Fist Full at the New Beverly, English-dubbed, 35 mm, widescreen! It was a very exciting experience!

What's your favorite Billy Chong movie?

Here's his filmography:

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?i ... ay_set=eng

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love Billy Chong's movies. He had such a short filmography in Hong Kong (he appeared in 11 films, 8 starring roles with Eternal Film Co), but he's been recognized by kung fu movie fans over the years.

I think my favorite film of his is A Fist Full of Talons. Awesome movie with a nice atmosphere and cool wire-fu fights! I first saw A Fist Full at the New Beverly, English-dubbed, 35 mm, widescreen! It was a very exciting experience!

What's your favorite Billy Chong movie?

Here's his filmography:

http://hkmdb.com/db/people/view.mhtml?i ... ay_set=eng

I will hold off on saying which is my favorite, until I see a few more. In fact, I don't think I ever got around to seeing A Fist Full of Talons. Which means, I need to see it right away.

I did really enjoy Super Power though.

I will hold off on saying which is my favorite, until I see a few more. In fact, I don't think I ever got around to seeing A Fist Full of Talons. Which means, I need to see it right away.

I don't think the movie's terribly popular because the home-video releases look awful. Definitely deserving of a widescreen release though!

I did really enjoy Super Power though.

Ya don't say :tongueout:

SP-KFS-TShirt-MilitaryGreen-Page.png

I'm also a fan of Crystal Fist (Jade Claw). Classic film!

Secret Executioner

I gotta say I dig the Super Power - Kung Fu Styles design, even though I'm absoluetly not familiar with Billy Chong's movies. Just having the names of various styles listed and big "super power" logo is nice enough for me. :cool

I gotta say I dig the Super Power - Kung Fu Styles design, even though I'm absoluetly not familiar with Billy Chong's movies. Just having the names of various styles listed and big "super power" logo is nice enough for me. :cool

There have been some who have commented on buying certain shirts, with not having seen the movie. They either just appreciated the design or love kung fu movies that much. :smile

legendarycurry

"Super Power" for sure! I also enjoyed "Crystal Fist". Plot-wise I'd say "Fistfull Of Talons" is probably his best one and it overall just looks more polished than the two others I've mentioned, but fight-wise Super Power and Crystal Fist delivers the goods. "Kung Fu Zombie" is the only Billy Chong film that I found dissapointing out of the ones I've seen so far but even that was worth watching for the "WTF" factor.

I would have to say super power,great fights and shapes.i would also say sun dragon(hard way to die)but that's because of mainly Carl r Scott.The only westerner at the time to pull off the Kung fu choreography and look good doing it. :thumbsup

ShaOW!linDude

I've only ever seen Fistful of Talons :thumbsup (really good plot & choreography wise) and Kung Fu Zombie :thumbsdown (a hot mess if there ever was one).

Here's my  list of billy Chong Movie

Super Power (1980)

Black Belt Karate (1977) ...

Crystal Fist (1979) ...

http://手指拗出 Opening ( 1981 ): http://youtu.be/8yf49yxOlrA  All of Billy Chong's movies are good and worth watching in my opinion including KUNG-FU ZOMBIE.If I had to choose a favorite though it would have to be Kung fu Executioners because Him and Carl Scott go off! They display their skills on full blast in that movie showcasing their hand to hand skills and weapons in ways that you've never seen before.Throw in the fact that Billy gets his best fight yet with screen tough and bonafide karate expert Chen Sing and you got an undeniable classic.Just check out this intro and see if it doesn't get you pumped....     

Hands down Crystal Fist is my favorite of the films he made. Chong (or Dozan) conveyed a sort of Jackie Chan-vibe in the film, some memorable villains in Deaf Man and Blind Man, played well by Brandy Yuen and Addy Sung, plus Chu Tiet Wo's menacing villain. Simon Yuen once again brings the light heartedness of the film as the cook who trains Chong. I wish Hau Chiu-Sing had just a little more screen time in his opening cameo, but that's okay. Overall, I'm all for the "Eagle Shadow Claw" :)

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

To repeat myself!

Mine is 'A fist Full of Talons'.

561e715b42276_AFistFullofTalons1983-2-b.

I wonder what happened to this super star, who as you can see only made 11 movies.

Anyone know of his status today?

GD Y-Y

莊泉利
Billy Chong Chuen-Lei  ♂

Aliases:  Willy Dohzan,  Willy Doxan,  Willy Dozen,  Jackie Chong,  Willy Dozan 

HUH? LOL!

Born: February 10th, 1957

AcesGoPlacesV+1989-77-t.jpgSunDragon+1979-3-t.jpgTheDoubleCrossers+1976-37-t.jpgBillyChongChuenLei-1-t.jpgBillyChongChuenLei-6-t.jpg

Filmography (1976-1989)

Actor (11 films)
  The Double Crossers (1976)  
  Black Belt Karate (1977) ... Teacher's Son 
  Invincible Monkey Fist (1978)  
  Sun Dragon (1979) ... Sung Shao Chong 
  Crystal Fist (1979) ... Ah Wen 
  Super Power (1980) ... Chun Ming 
  Kung Fu Zombie (1981)  
  Kung Fu Executioner (1981) ... Li Kuen Kong 
  Kung Fu from Beyond the Grave (1982) ... Chun Sing 
  A Fist Full of Talons (1983) ... Ching I Ming 
  Aces Go Places V (1989) ... Boss's thug

We're almost at the end of the year and I've *still* haven't watched a single Billy Chong movie yet (and we're talking in my entire life)...

I wonder what happened to this super star, who as you can see only made 11 movies.

Anyone know of his status today?

GD Y-Y

He is active today in his native Indonesia, where he uses his real name of Willy Dozan. As a matter of fact, he came out with a movie last year called Duel: The Last Choice, which co-stars his son Leon. 

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

He is active today in his native Indonesia, where he uses his real name of Willy Dozan. As a matter of fact, he came out with a movie last year called Duel: The Last Choice, which co-stars his son Leon. 

Thanks AV.

GD Y-Y

Shaolin Patriot

Sun Dragon (US - A Hard Way To Die)

Sun+Dragon+ver2.JPG 

Also looking forward to see Garuda 7 (Indonesian version of Expendables), currently in production. 

Garuda-7-Cover.jpg

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I need to see a better print of A Fist Full of Talons. Ken kept recommending that and I finally watched it on YouTube over the weekend. Spaghetti western vibe, Sun Chung at the helm and a very likable Billy Chung, can't go wrong there. 

I need to see a better print of A Fist Full of Talons. Ken kept recommending that and I finally watched it on YouTube over the weekend. Spaghetti western vibe, Sun Chung at the helm and a very likable Billy Chung, can't go wrong there. 

I'm happy to hear that you liked it. The first time I saw A Fist Full was in widescreen at the New Bev and I loved it instantly. It's never had a good release, but it's definitely deserving of one.

My second favorite Billy Chong movie is probably Crystal Fist (aka Jade Claw). If you liked Snake in the Eagle's Shadow or Drunken Master, you'll probably like this one too. Great (if not generic) movie. I enjoy it more and more every time I watch it. I think you'd have to buy this one since the versions on YouTube are crap. The version on the Wu Tang Collection channel goes totally out of synch by the end. And I'm sure you could buy a widescreen version on DVD for cheap.

Sun Dragon (US - A Hard Way To Die)

Sun+Dragon+ver2.JPG

I remember Billy Chong once said in an interview that this was his favorite movie that he worked on. This one's also really good. Terrible dubbing, but awesome fights and surprisingly decent pacing.

Man, fuck cheap electronics. Tried to watch Kung Fu Zombie but the version I just copped looks like straight trash and is completely unwatchable with the subs cutoff. People are all high contrast and glowing and shit, like a 15th generation vhs copy. The interview with Chong was funny even though he was reading from papers and looked disinterested to a degree of "dickhead".

Said f-that and put Super Power in for some real Billy madness. Looked like an early ps1 game made of blocky polys and quick motions looked like pixelated blurs. Went to the menu to adjust and turn off the p-scan but accidentally turned the video to yuv or some shit. No input, blank screen.

Smashed the pos remote against the wall that hasn't worked right since a month after I bought it. Shattered instantly and almost caught shrapnel in my skin. Unplugged the bitch and went outside to finish the job. I knew my copy of Super Power was in it and just figured "fuckit, I'll nab it after I destroy this piece of garbage".

Threw that fucker down like a Gronkowski spike in the endzone. And it felt good. Real good. Pieces went flying everywhere and multiple alleycats started scattering from their chill spots. My Super Power lay right before me, seemingly untouched and freed from its cheap imprisonment.

But it was cracked. Damnit. Now I have no Super Power and no dvd player. It was a cheap all-regioner so I have no regrets. Besides my Super Power. No reason for typing this retarded story out. It helped cool me down. I no longer have an urge to destroy and my heart has nestled back in its place. But fuck cheap electronics though.

Archived