What To Watch First?

Hei Meigui

Here are the films I have now that I haven't watched yet. What order should I start? I will tell you I am on a Ti Lung kick right now I watched Swordsman and Enchantress last night.

I have:

Master of the Flying Guillotine

House of Traps

The Deadly Breaking Sword

The One armed Swordsman

King Boxer

The Kid from Kwangtung

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are the films I have now that I haven't watched yet. What order should I start? I will tell you I am on a Ti Lung kick right now I watched Swordsman and Enchantress last night.

I have:

Master of the Flying Guillotine

House of Traps

The Deadly Breaking Sword

The One armed Swordsman

King Boxer

The Kid from Kwangtung

Oh man!! Great bunch of films. Do you usually only watch Shaw Brothers movies? Are you making an exception by having the ultra-classic MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE in your "watch pile"?

I'd watch next:

King Boxer

I'd save MASTER OF THE FLYING GUILLOTINE for last. :nodding

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Master of the Flying Guillotine first, then

the Kid from Kwangtung,

House of Traps (not the best Venoms film but fun)

The One Armed Swordsman (excellent)

King Boxer (awesome, Lo Lieh is terrific)

with Deadly Breaking Sword for last, fantastic movie all the way around. I think I might watch it again this weekend. I wish Sun Chung & Ti Lung and Fu Sheng made more than two films together because both of them are amazing.

I adore Swordsman and Enchantress Hei. It's up there with among my favorite Ti Lung, but I love the novel too. What did you think of it?

I adore Swordsman and Enchantress Hei. It's up there with among my favorite Ti Lung, but I love the novel too. What did you think of it?

Thanks for the suggestions Lady.

I liked the movie because I'm on a Ti Lung kick, but I think I was a little disappointing because the night before I watched The Sentimental Swordsman and I LOVED that :love !!

The story was great and I liked the twists and turns, but the only thing that spoiled it was I cant stand the that "silly girl" type character that Candy Wen played. I just can't stand that voice. It ruins it for me especially when the character is supposed to be a "male". I don't even mind the trope of the fact that it is obvious that that is a female, it's really just that voice. The only other annoying thing was Ti Lung's "theme" music in the movie!! It was totally out of the character of what I felt they were portraying him to be! Plus I thought only David Chiang got theme music!! :rofl - Chang Cheh really loved David!!. (You'll know what I mean if you have seen The Duel, or Have Sword Will Travel ,I think it was, when every time he was about to show up they played the same music clip/sound effect, chick-a-chick-a!!!)

Other than that I really liked it. I liked the twists and turns and the plot although I really didn't get what the full purpose of Lily Li's character was for. I think that I made an assumption when I looked at the cover art that Candy's character was the "enchantress" meaning magical/sorceress.

Mbfk0SK.jpg

I see that It was really Ching Li's character who was the "enchantress". Hope that wasn't spoilery!! :thinking !!

Last week I watched Clans of Intrigue, Legend of the Bat, and the Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman. It was hard getting through Legend of the Bat, but I LOVED LOVED LOVED Ti Lung in those roles. Plus I am very partial to the use of a fan as a weapon.

Have you seen Opium and the Kung Fu Master with Ti Lung? I really liked that a lot.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Thanks for the suggestions Lady.

I liked the movie because I'm on a Ti Lung kick, but I think I was a little disappointing because the night before I watched The Sentimental Swordsman and I LOVED that :love !!

The story was great and I liked the twists and turns, but the only thing that spoiled it was I cant stand the that "silly girl" type character that Candy Wen played. I just can't stand that voice. It ruins it for me especially when the character is supposed to be a "male". I don't even mind the trope of the fact that it is obvious that that is a female, it's really just that voice. The only other annoying thing was Ti Lung's "theme" music in the movie!! It was totally out of the character of what I felt they were portraying him to be! Plus I thought only David Chiang got theme music!! :rofl - Chang Cheh really loved David!!. (You'll know what I mean if you have seen The Duel, or Have Sword Will Travel ,I think it was, when every time he was about to show up they played the same music clip/sound effect, chick-a-chick-a!!!)

Other than that I really liked it. I liked the twists and turns and the plot although I really didn't get what the full purpose of Lily Li's character was for. I think that I made an assumption when I looked at the cover art that Candy's character was the "enchantress" meaning magical/sorceress.

Mbfk0SK.jpg

I see that It was really Ching Li's character who was the "enchantress". Hope that wasn't spoilery!! :thinking !!

Last week I watched Clans of Intrigue, Legend of the Bat, and the Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman. It was hard getting through Legend of the Bat, but I LOVED LOVED LOVED Ti Lung in those roles. Plus I am very partial to the use of a fan as a weapon.

Have you seen Opium and the Kung Fu Master with Ti Lung? I really liked that a lot.

You make some good points about SandE Hei, I dislike Candy Wen in these bratty roles (she nearly took out Sword Stained with Royal Blood.), not just the voice but her whole manner, she just rubs me the wrong way. I am still learning Asian names (both the actors and characters) so I'll have to double check when I get the replacement copy of SaE what character Lily Li was playing (I am presuming she was Feng Sheng in the bathtub in the beginning. The Shaw actresses are tricky for me because I am paying attention to the guys. :tongueout )

You're right about Chang Cheh and David Chiang, great your comments regarding the Duel, themes etc. and just watching Vengeance now (which is absolutely amazing.)

Back to Ti:

Ordered Clans of Intrigue and Convict Killer (they'll take a long while to get to me), but the first Sentimental Swordsman might be here tomorrow. :smile I look forward to seeing SS (I love fans as weapons too - it amazes me how that can used. So elegant.)

Just finished Opium and the Kung Fu Master. A fine performance from Ti and typical for this kind of film (drug addict kicks the habit etc.) It was pretty colorful for that kind of film and I loved the lion dance duel in the beginning too. Ti also looks great in shades of blue.

>>

Lest I go too far off topic:

Back to your list,

King Boxer is superb. I think that's Lo Lieh's best performance.

And if you enjoyed Avenging Eagle, then The Deadly Breaking Sword is another great team up of Ti Lung, Fu Sheng and director Sun Chung. Ti is such an arrogant character in TDBS and his technique and calling cards are a lot of fun - he's not the cad that Black Eagle was, but a snobbish gallant. Really solid and terrific characterization, and I love the warrior villain controlled by Ku Feng's killer doctor. TDBS is my favorite of the films you listed.

House of Traps is an interesting late entry Venoms film, but I think it was a missed opportunity with the House and the characters. I love Lu Feng's Butterfly accessories (to go with his body lifting technique.)

I'd say to save the trio of "Master of the Flying Guillotine", "Deadly Breaking Sword", and "King Boxer" for last.

All 3 of those are at least in my top 15 kung fu movies.

MotFG is just crazy madness, with a great villain. Deadly Breaking Sword is a good wuxia from Sun Chung, Lady Jin gave a good simple explanation of it. One thing I'd like to add, is that if you have seen many classic Wuxia movies, you may notice it actually parodies them as much as it is one.

King Boxer is great. King Boxer is king. King Boxer....I'll shamelessly sing its praises every chance I get.

I'd say to save the trio of "Master of the Flying Guillotine", "Deadly Breaking Sword", and "King Boxer" for last.

MotFG is just crazy madness, with a great villain. Deadly Breaking Sword is a good wuxia from Sun Chung, Lady Jin gave a good simple explanation of it. One thing I'd like to add, is that if you have seen many classic Wuxia movies, you may notice it actually parodies them as much as it is one.

King Boxer is great. King Boxer is king. King Boxer....I'll shamelessly sing its praises every chance I get.

:rofl so I take it that I should actually watch King Boxer you hated it so much!!?? :wink

I have to go back through one of the treads to see who recommended Master of the Guillotine very highly I bought it because of that. Wait I think it was because of you and Abbot!! You were talking bout the blind Master!!

I thinki did recommend you MOTFG. BTW, I was telling you to save the best for last with those 3! Lol!

"All 3 of those are at least in my top 15 kung fu movies."

Oh I see!! at Least in your top 3 not the least of your top three!! :coveredlaugh I need to put on the glasses!!

It's going to be Deadly Breaking Sword tonight. I can't break my Ti Lung streak just yet!!! :love

Here is a great link to a review that will clear up who is who in SandE http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/s/swordsman-and-enchantress.html

Okay so I watched TDBS and I just don't get why it had to end that way!!?? :shaking I'm glad the woman didn't die, because they generally sacrifice themselves, but why end like that?? There is usually a moral reason for all of the things that happen. So I guess the people who were "honorable" lived and the people who were out for money only suffered their fates. I guess Ti Lungs character was changed by the end and humanized. I'm used to more people dying!!! :rofl or rather being sacrificed! I think I have been to brainwashed by Chang Cheh where there were either no women or they died!!

I think it was also very interesting seeing Ti in this role as the last one's have been "softer" roles. SandE was the most gruff I've seen him in a while.

You are going to love The Sentimental Swordsman and Clans of Intrigue. They are Ti Lung more light-hearted and playful, but with good fighting. I try to watch them in series order so if you see Clans you will need to see Legend of the Bat and Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman although the last one Ti's character's name is changed but he's still really in the same part.

Another good movie is Killer Clans. I don't really like Yueh Hua (no real reason just something about the roles he plays I think. He has the same type of attitude that Ti has in TDBS), but that movie was awesome!!! It even had an ending that was NOT depressing, I would almost go as far as to say it was a "happy" ending!! It's hard to believe that the movie is only 90 minutes it felt like hours, but in a good way!! You have to be able to take twists and turns though!!!

I think overall I like the Ti Lung-David Chiang chemistry better than him and Alexander Fu Sheng. I tend to not like silly men characters except for Wang Yue. I never really liked Jackie Chan because of that. Comedy is one thing but when that is what they are mainly it gets old. Chiang Sheng can be annoying like Candy Wen, but I have a soft spot for him because his life didn't end well after the Venoms broke up. :crying

OK enough rambling! I'm going to start on my list of movies It's been a short time collecting but I have been out of control!!

Okay so much for rambling on!! I'll just post my library this weekend and you will see

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Here is a great link to a review that will clear up who is who in SandE http://www.gotterdammerung.org/film/reviews/s/swordsman-and-enchantress.html

Okay so I watched TDBS and I just don't get why it had to end that way!!?? :shaking I'm glad the woman didn't die, because they generally sacrifice themselves, but why end like that?? There is usually a moral reason for all of the things that happen. So I guess the people who were "honorable" lived and the people who were out for money only suffered their fates. I guess Ti Lungs character was changed by the end and humanized. I'm used to more people dying!!! :rofl or rather being sacrificed! I think I have been to brainwashed by Chang Cheh where there were either no women or they died!!

I think it was also very interesting seeing Ti in this role as the last one's have been "softer" roles. SandE was the most gruff I've seen him in a while.

You are going to love The Sentimental Swordsman and Clans of Intrigue. They are Ti Lung more light-hearted and playful, but with good fighting. I try to watch them in series order so if you see Clans you will need to see Legend of the Bat and Perils of the Sentimental Swordsman although the last one Ti's character's name is changed but he's still really in the same part.

Another good movie is Killer Clans. I don't really like Yueh Hua (no real reason just something about the roles he plays I think. He has the same type of attitude that Ti has in TDBS), but that movie was awesome!!! It even had an ending that was NOT depressing, I would almost go as far as to say it was a "happy" ending!! It's hard to believe that the movie is only 90 minutes it felt like hours, but in a good way!! You have to be able to take twists and turns though!!!

I think overall I like the Ti Lung-David Chiang chemistry better than him and Alexander Fu Sheng. I tend to not like silly men characters except for Wang Yue. I never really liked Jackie Chan because of that. Comedy is one thing but when that is what they are mainly it gets old. Chiang Sheng can be annoying like Candy Wen, but I have a soft spot for him because his life didn't end well after the Venoms broke up. :crying

OK enough rambling! I'm going to start on my list of movies It's been a short time collecting but I have been out of control!!

Okay so much for rambling on!! I'll just post my library this weekend and you will see

I started a thread about Ti http://www.shaolinchamber36.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1330so we (and other folks) can ramble on in there. :tongueout

I am not much of a comedy in martial arts fan either, although I can watch Fu Sheng be a clown. Of those kinds of actors, he's the one I'll make time for - probably due to the people around him (cast and crew.) I wonder if the TDBS ending was this way because of Fu Sheng's bad injury on the set? Sun Chung seems to insert a good morality twist into his characters and films and I like that. Greed, money, status/fame are bad.

Me, I just wanted a bit more between Tuan Changqing and Lian. As I keep saying, it would have been nice to see another transformation moment with Lian's character before his reveal.

But glad you liked it.

Archived