Lau Kar Leung

Guest FrankyLau

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
2 hours ago, yiyuen said:

Hi there Yiyuen............................WELCOME.............................and thanks for your input.

GD Y-Y

• Like 1

thanx Golden dragon, I'm happy this  site pay tribute to people and movies I loved so much in my Youth. By the way another actor I would love to know more about, its just the main owner of my nickname: Yi Yuen, or Yee Yuan, the moustached badguy in tons of Taiwanese gongfupian and wushapian. If some of you know something about his life, let me know. Sure he must be dead many years ago. Last movie where I saw him was Island on fire. 

• Like 2

Two images from my interview to Sifu Leung in HK, 2007. This is the only one he made for Italy. By the way he was in sorrow 'cause the industry pushed him aside and young generations in HK didn't  know his movies. R.I.P Sifu and thanx for the time You gifted me.

lcliang 1.bmp

lcliang 2.bmp

• Like 2

Here you can see an excerpt from my interview to Sifu Leung explaining the genesis of the One Armed Swordsman saga. Sadly its not english subtitled 'cause it was aired by italian TV, anyway the main thing he said was that he gave the idea to Chang Cheh and Wang Yu to broke the hero sword, 'cause the original sword was too longer and each time Wang drawed it with left hand it was a little bit complicated. If you know someone speaking cantonese or italian you can translate all of it. I made it in 2007. enjoy  

• Like 2

On 8/12/2018 at 4:50 PM, yiyuen said:

Hi everybody, here's the cover and trailer of dvd riedition of a Mammoth-documentary (145 min.) about old Kungfu craze of 70's, including a long interview to Sifu Leung. No english sub, anyway I found it on FB page Home MoviesCH, its from Italy. 

Hi, that link doesnt show up at all, I'm keen to watch the trialer.

Do you know about this vintage documetnary?, and has it ever ben released in its original form?

12 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Hi, that link doesnt show up at all, I'm keen to watch the trialer.

Do you know about this vintage documetnary?, and has it ever ben released in its original form?

Try here for the link, As far as concerning the documentary it was released in original form 2009 on italian tv, in 2011 on homevideo and now its available again on homevideo, on the Home MoviesCH Facebook page, here's the trailer link, hope you can see it now

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

Liu Chia Liang teaching Hung Gar

Link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbgAIMUXzlw

c3407f89d91fb1c75411cdcdc478d618.jpg

Not all martial artists make good teachers but that doesn’t apply to this guy.not only could he make great movie fight scenes but he also knew how to teach and do the real thing.Great stuff.👍👍👍

• Like 3

8 hours ago, DragonClaws said:

I think we are in need of a Lau Kar Leung type choreographer in today’s martial arts/action movies(especially those from Hong Kong).Todays action choreography just doesn’t push the right buttons for me like it did when people like Lau Kar Leung,Sammo,and the Yuen clan we’re doing there thing.Ive said it before “we need the old ways back”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/6/2019 at 5:30 PM, sym8 said:

I think we are in need of a Lau Kar Leung type choreographer in today’s martial arts/action movies(especially those from Hong Kong).Todays action choreography just doesn’t push the right buttons for me like it did when people like Lau Kar Leung,Sammo,and the Yuen clan we’re doing there thing.Ive said it before “we need the old ways back”

The closest I think would be Mark Houghton, who didn't have any intention of returning to the film industry until he met with Sifu Lau two months before his death. Mark promised Lau to not only keep teaching Hung Gar but to return to the film industry, which he works primarily as an action director. He choreographed the still to be released Dragon Gate, which stars his daughter Charlene in her 1st lead role. His dream film is The Burning of The Shaolin Temple, a script Lau Kar-Leung completed before his death but never got the chance to make. Mark said his endgame would be to get this film made. He told me this in an interview I conducted a few months ago to correspond with his documentary I am the White Tiger

https://worldfilmgeek.com/2019/06/14/meet-the-white-tiger-an-interview-with-mark-houghton/

• Like 4

CoolBlackKnight

Ah, one of my favs... "Pops" is just a joy to watch in action.

I would have loved to have seen him in a modern movies with cinematography like the first Matrix or and RAID movie. Yes Drunken Monk, just listening to him teach is almost as good as his action scenes.

Edited by CoolBlackKnight
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, nectarsis said:

I can't believe its been 7 years ago today... :(

For me Drunken master 2 was the last great Kung fu movie.I wonder what we would have got if he had stayed on as director?Would it have been as good or are we fortunate he left and Jackie added his stuff to make it an all time classic?Either way he was a true legend 👍👍👍👍

Edited by sym8
  • Like 6

Iron_Leopard

Legend of legends.

I still love him in Seven Swords. I see that as his last great performance. 

• Like 5

On 6/25/2020 at 10:03 PM, Iron_Leopard said:

Legend of legends.

I still love him in Seven Swords. I see that as his last great performance. 

Seven sword is beautiful in other respects. The fighting resumed strangely from Hark, even worse than the frantic editing of Time and Tide. The camera is inserted in unthinkable points and the assembly is not very delicate to see the movements well. Anyone unfamiliar with the genre would tell you that directing sucks. I love Hark, but it's often too experimental. It seems strange to me that there were no problems on the set between Leung and Hark, especially during the editing phase.

• Like 4