Lau Kar Leung

Guest FrankyLau

DESCRIPTION
Which ever name you prefer to associate with the man, one thing I am sure of, most of his fans would have no trouble in calling him, is a "Master". A master of what he does, which is making ground-breaking cinema. He has made many movies that can and should be considered classics, way too many to name here. Watch the video for samples of his genius.

POINT OF INTEREST
0:23 • 1:01 • 1:54

I wonder what Shaw's really would have been without Liu Chia-Liang? His input was just as vital as Zhang Che and all the key actors (Ti Lung, Venoms crew, Chiang Dawei, etc).

Anyway, nice compilation mix.

(Buddha Bless the Proxy.)

Gordon Liu is EASILY in my top 5 fu stars of all time. I'm not a person that cares about meeting famous people much..but I would LOVE to one day sit down and pick this legends brain.

DESCRIPTION
SC36 Forum member "drees5761" has the very entertaining video featured on his YouTube channel. It is a kung fu demo from Shaw Brothers director/choreographer extraordinaire, Lau Kar Leung. It is definitely a must see.

POINT OF INTEREST
0:31

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Liu Chia-Liang

I should say:

Master Liu Chia-Liang

Liu%2520ChiaLiang__.jpg

Unbelievable:

HKMDB

Director 167 films.

Producer 1 film Shaolin and Wutang.

Director 25 films. Executive Director (Shaolin and Wu Tang (1983)

Actor (197 films)

Planning (1 film) Clan of the White Lotus (1980)

Writer (5 films) My Young Auntie (1981) Legendary Weapons of China (1982) The Lady Is the Boss (1983) The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (1984)

GD Y-Y

I found this tribute documentary to him. Sorry it's only in Cantonese with no subs. I couldn't resist posting it though because I love him rocking the 80-90's hairstyle, and not a hair out of place during any of the demonstrations!! The clothes are giving me flashbacks! :rofl

It's actually really good, as he talks about lion dances, shows forms, and show old movie clips.

• Like 3

Here's a clip of Lau as a thug getting his butt whooped by Yu So Chau in a fight scene from The Apartment Murder (1960), a contemporary film by the director of the Wong Fei Hung series, Wu Pang. Shek Kin is of course in there and you can see Simon Yuen in the back room guarding the hostage.

• Like 6

Where do I begin with "The Pops" Lau kar leung aka Liu chia liang? I don't want to post things that you already know about the man already so I'll just say that I'll always remember him as The Maestro of martial arts and The King of kung fu in my opinion because he's shown us more kung fu styles and explained their origins like nobody else was doing during that era as well as introducing the comedic element to kung fu movies before anybody else did.Jackie marketed it better but The pops paved the way.He knew Bruce Lee growing up and it's a damn shame that they didn't get to do at least one movie together.Can you imagine The pops and little dragon in a movie? Maybe they're doing Chin-na or sparring in the afterlife while looking at some of movies coming out down here and saying"They are missing all of the heavenly glory"?

• Like 2

Not to hijack the thread, but Yu So Chau was a hottie!

Now, back to Lau Kar Leung ---

I think that "Pops" is my favorite fight choreographer. Not only do I love to watch him fight but he was a good director that has directed a couple of the most iconic martial arts films of all times. 

• Like 4

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I've really grown to respect him as I watch more of the films he directed. I still wish he would have made an entire movie with Chen, Ti and Wilson Tong's opening characters from The Spiritual Boxer, but... the man was just amazing. 

Finally saw Mad Monkey Kung Fu recently and he was so good in front and behind the camera. 

• Like 3

Iron_Leopard

Between the movies he choregraphed for Chang Cheh, the classics he directed himself, and the roles he played in all these films would it be to outrageous a claim that he may be the single most important figure in MA cinema?

• Like 4

Between the movies he choregraphed for Chang Cheh, the classics he directed himself, and the roles he played in all these films would it be to outrageous a claim that he may be the single most important figure in MA cinema?

Not so outrageous. His longevity in film as well as martial arts was astounding.

• Like 2

What is everyone's favorite ending fight scene to a LKL film? Nearly every film he made ends with a classic showdown but I'm going with the final confrontation of "8 Diagram Pole Fighter."

• Like 1

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Mine would be Shaolin Mantis with Legendary Weapons of China running a very close second. 

• Like 1

On 13 January 2016 at 0:45 AM, Iron_Leopard said:

What is everyone's favorite ending fight scene to a LKL film? Nearly every film he made ends with a classic showdown but I'm going with the final confrontation of "8 Diagram Pole Fighter."

Mine would be MyYoung Auntie,great weapons and then the pops and Wang Lung Wei go at it with there hands and feet.In my opinion the best example of hung gar in any movie.

• Like 2

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Lau was the third child of Lau Cham (Lau Jaam, 劉湛), a martial arts master who studied Hung Gar under Lam Sai-wing, a student of Wong Fei-hung.[4] He has a brother who makes a living in the film industry, actor/choreographer Lau Kar-wing, as does Gordon Liu, Lau's pupil and adopted godson to Lau's father, Lau Cham. His nephew Lau Kar-yung (son of his older sister) is also an actor, choreographer and director. Another nephew, Lau Wing-kin (Lau Kar-wing's son) is also an actor, and assisted Lau Kar-leung with action-directing Seven Swords.

Here is Lam Sai-wing doing:

Digital creation. There is something to the effect but hard to read at the end of the video....but the point is made!

Iron Wire Fist

GD Y-Y

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
  • Like 4

Hi everybody, here's the cover and trailer of dvd riedition of a Mammoth-documentary (145 min.) about old Kungfu craze of 70's, including a long interview to Sifu Leung. No english sub, anyway I found it on FB page Home MoviesCH, its from Italy.

https://youtu.be/eTCdONNDS7s

cover.png

• Like 3