3 Funniest Martial Arts Films

Hei Meigui

What are your 3 funniest Martial Arts films whether it is intentional or not! Oh and since we may not have seen them, just say a little bit about the movie why its funny.

1. Dirty Ho - This is also one of my all time favorite movies of the old school. One it has Gordon Liu with a mustache and and Yue Wong with a funny injury the whole film. And two The title!!! Best title ever without being offensive! The scene where they make a reference to the Crippled Avengers and the one armed swordsman is hilarious! I also find that so far this has the most impressive and intricate fight scene I've seen, in the end with Liu and Yue. I can't imagine how long it took to choreograph that and there aren't that many camera cutaways that would look fake. Here's the final fight scene I'm talking about.

Spoiler https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j5rM1QvJDU( this is an English dub the iTunes copy has it subbed and dubbed. It's funny when you have it Dubbed and Subbed and read the difference in the translation.

2. The New Legend of Shaolin (there are 2 versions, one cuts out the funny sex scene stuff - it's not even explicit!!) This is the older movie with Jet Li. It is not supposed to be as funny as it is I think. I'm not a Jet Li fan but this is a movie I can watch over and over! The first scene at 1:23 kills me! Here is the full version that doesn't edit out the funny sex references. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8685c-Dh-U.

This movie has it all, the humor, the dead pan humor of Jet Li's character, and it can touch you and make you sad. It has a lot of fight scenes too.

3. I have to think about that last one! - It may be Tai Chi Zero or Jet Li's Cult Master especially the jokes about him being a virgin and not being able to do certain things!! :blush:laugh

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to assume were are talking about mostly intentional humor! :laugh

Ninja in the Dragons Den

Dirty Ho

Drunken Tai Chi

It was tough choosing the third spot, a number of other Yuen Clan movies could have taken that spot, let alone other movies.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Odd Couple (I fell in love with Sammo and Lau Kar Wing's old masters. Sammo's humor does not always work for me, but I adored his Old Naughty Guy almost as much as Lau Kar Wing's old master. And Leung Kar Yan gets a couple of funny moments in here too. The Jackal is my favorite of his villains.)

Fight Among the Supers ( I dig Lu Feng in this. He relishes playing an over the top, mischief making God and when the actors have fun, I do too. I enjoyed seeing him in a completely different light. I admire his acting talent as well as his martial / Peking opera skills, so I was sold on this film instantly. It's silly fun and tickled the little girl inside too.)

Legendary Weapons of China - I was :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl during the opening sequence and Fu Shengs' possession by Lau Kar Wing. I was bummed when the film got a bit serious but I still had fun.

Haven't seen Dirty Ho yet, but it looks fun.

2 of the funniest martial arts films for me,

Knockabout

Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple

First time I saw this one, had me cracking up, as you can see here (starting at 7:23). The mustache, the food dangling from the mustache, the huge sword, LOVED IT! :coveredlaugh

I have to think a bit more to come up with a 3rd film.

2 of the funniest martial arts films for me,

• Knockabout

• Martial Monks of Shaolin Temple

First time I saw this one, had me cracking up, as you can see here. The mustache, the food dangling from the mustache, the huge sword, LOVED IT! :coveredlaugh

I have to think a bit more to come up with a 3rd film.

Okay!I didn't watch the whole thing but at 10:07 when he starts to pull out the weapon I was done!!! :rofl He had to use his foot to prop it up!!!

I'm going to assume were are talking about mostly intentional humor! :laugh

Ninja in the Dragons Den

Dirty Ho

Drunken Tai Chi

It was tough choosing the third spot, a number of other Yuen Clan movies could have taken that spot, let alone other movies.

No it can be unintentional as well. Like because of what is said in the dubs or OTT acting etc.

No love for Stephen Chow? Love on Delivery, Shaolin Soccer, Kung Fu Hustle, and Fist of Fury 1991 are all hilarious martial arts movies.

But including Stephen Chow movies in a list like this is kinda unfair. Besides the movies mentioned above, here are my top 3 funniest MA films:

1. Ninja in the Dragon's Den

"I'm the Monkey God, here to make a monkey out of you, you ugly stinkin' skunk f****r."

2. Dirty Ho

3. My Young Auntie

hehe all the movies already mentionned are indeed excellent.....

the one that got me really cracked up was in Chinese Odissey with Stephen Chow when he thinks he is invisible with only wearing seals papers and then the papers turn on fire and all his buddies have to step and crash his nuts while putting the fire down all in silence mode..... wow laughed so hard the first time.... at least that's the one scene that got me laughing like never before in a kung fu movie.... so I got to give it to that movie

1. Ninja in the Dragon's Den

"I'm the Monkey God, here to make a monkey out of you, you ugly stinkin' skunk f****r."

That's comedy gold! :rofl

Ninja in the Dragon's Den has the greatest dub ever.

"Listen ya little faggot, if you keep falling on your ass like that, you'll suffer brain damage!"

"You know who I am?" "Yeah, queeeen of the kung fu fairies."

I honestly haven't seen many Stephen Chow movies.

Secret Executioner

I have seen some and I find him WAYYYYYYYYYY overrated.

I did really enjoy both SHAOLIN SOCCER & KUNG FU HUSTLE.

Secret Executioner

Everybody keeps bringing these up, but they really aren't that great.

As of now Ill side with GHW on this one. I have no interest in soccer, and fell asleep while trying to watch Kung Fu Hustle. Haha.

But seriously, I believe I have seen only three of his movies, "Tricky Brain" (ok, but not good), Kung Fu Hustle (see above), and Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons, which I actually thought was a really fun movie.

So I am 1/3 with the guy, what I have seen doesn't make me want to see more, but I feel I haven't seen enough to judge him by.

hehe all the movies already mentionned are indeed excellent.....

the one that got me really cracked up was in Chinese Odissey with Stephen Chow when he thinks he is invisible with only wearing seals papers and then the papers turn on fire and all his buddies have to step and crash his nuts while putting the fire down all in silence mode..... wow laughed so hard the first time.... at least that's the one scene that got me laughing like never before in a kung fu movie.... so I got to give it to that movie

A Chinese Odyssey is a great movie. Especially if you know what's going on. I've rewatched it many times and I'm still not completely sure what's going on.

Ninja in the Dragon's Den has the greatest dub ever.

"Listen ya little faggot, if you keep falling on your ass like that, you'll suffer brain damage!"

"You know who I am?" "Yeah, queeeen of the kung fu fairies."

You're right, Ninja in the Dragon's Den has the greatest dub ever. The quote I mentioned earlier is probably one of my favorite dubbed lines ever.

Also, I love Stephen Chow. I'd probably recommend All For The Winner. It starts off slow, but other than that, it's a lot of fun.

Yup, Stephen Chow movies certainly aren't for everyone. His humor's really broad, but I still enjoy his films. I've seen almost all of his movies.

Ditto.

As of now Ill side with GHW on this one. I have no interest in soccer, and fell asleep while trying to watch Kung Fu Hustle. Haha.

But seriously, I believe I have seen only three of his movies, "Tricky Brain" (ok, but not good), Kung Fu Hustle (see above), and Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons, which I actually thought was a really fun movie.

So I am 1/3 with the guy, what I have seen doesn't make me want to see more, but I feel I haven't seen enough to judge him by.

Yeah, Tricky Brains is alright. I love Kung Fu Hustle. I actually wasn't a big fan of Journey to the West. I think that movie was too dark.

Secret Executioner

It's Secret Executioner, not Godfrey Ho worshipper. :tongueout

Ditto.

Yeah, Tricky Brains is alright. I love Kung Fu Hustle. I actually wasn't a big fan of Journey to the West. I think that movie was too dark.

I am with you about Stephen Chow. I loved Journey to the West, I liked Kung Fu Shuffle only because of the other characters not him. I have the box set of Royal Tramp in Blue Ray and haven't watched but part of the first part. I am sarcastic and like that type of humor, but his humor seems mean spirited. Especially some of the jokes in Shaolin Soccer. I have been told also it's hard to get some of his humor as a lot of it is directly related to Hong Kong cultural references and plays on Cantonese words and how they sound.

Everybody keeps bringing these up, but they really aren't that great.

At the time when they were first released, I was heavy into the whole kung fu/special effects movies, all the flying around style, etc. So these were fun movies to me at the time when they were first released. I haven't seen them since.

I am with you about Stephen Chow. I loved Journey to the West, I liked Kung Fu Shuffle only because of the other characters not him. I have the box set of Royal Tramp in Blue Ray and haven't watched but part of the first part. I am sarcastic and like that type of humor, but his humor seems mean spirited. Especially some of the jokes in Shaolin Soccer. I have been told also it's hard to get some of his humor as a lot of it is directly related to Hong Kong cultural references and plays on Cantonese words and how they sound.

Speaking about jokes that only people who speak Cantonese would understand, Royal Tramp is probably his most esoteric film. But still, I think it's a really fun movie and I think I know enough about the culture to understand most of the jokes. Fun fight scenes too.

Also, when I saw King of Beggars at a theater, there was this one scene where I was the only person laughing because no one else understood what was going on.

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I thought of another one:

Black Dynamite (2009)

"Who the HELL is interrupting my Kung Fu?!?" :rofl

It makes delicious fun of 70s Kung Fu (Jim Brown) and Blaxsploitation, and a few viewings later, it's still extremely funny in spots. My friend and I were laughing so hard in the theatre, we made everyone else laugh (sadly, the younger audience did not understand the movie.)

From bad Fu delivering waitresses to Fiendish Dr. Wu and Tricky Dick this politically incorrect love letter to certain 70s genre films is a spot on spoof.

I have yet to see any Stephen Chow films but they're on the list.

Archived