Earlobes!

Hei Meigui

In martial arts movies why do the characters grab their ear lobes and cover their ears when being reprimanded?

I see it often and couldn't figure out why. I never see anyone get hit in the head as punishment so I don't know what it is about.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner

Maybe because the other guy is yelling really loud and it hurts their ears ? Or maybe to avoid having their ear grabbed (this happens a lot, especially in 1970s Fu comedies) ?

shaolin swords

I think its because your ears are there week spot its got to do with pressure points and every thing because if you get hit in the right spot in your ears its over just my opinion

legendarycurry

I belive it is because pulling someones ear is a very old school traditional form of punishment. When the person being reprimanded does it they show that they have realized their mistake and started punishing themselves. So essentially it is a way to admit you are at fault by inflicting punishment on yourself. It is also a form of humiliation showing that the person being punished is at fault and awaitng further punishment. Basically it is an admission of guilt, a self-inflicted punishment and humiliation to repent for the mistake you made.

Legendary,

You are right. I couldn't find the link to China, but there is a lot of information about it it Indian Culture. You are right it is a way of saying sorry and humility and responsibility for wrong doing. It is done with students in an extreme form.

http://guruprasad.net/posts/why-indian- ... ic-reason/

Here is a politician doing it publicly on the news

shaolin swords

well i think if your training and mess up then your right on that maybe i miss understood i thought you where talking about a actuall fight in a movie i do think but could be wrong that in a fight it got to do with pressure point strikes or some one trying to find there weak spots so they can defeat who ever there fighting just my opinion

Secret Executioner

I've seen ear grabbing for other reasons than messing up in training. I guess someone grabbing someone else's ear before taunting them could be why others tend to grab their own ears - to avoid having theirs grabbed. I don't think I've seen this gesture before though.

i do think but could be wrong that in a fight it got to do with pressure point strikes or some one trying to find there weak spots so they can defeat who ever there fighting just my opinion

*cough* Lo Meng/The Toad in Five Deadly Venoms *cough*

I belive it is because pulling someones ear is a very old school traditional form of punishment. When the person being reprimanded does it they show that they have realized their mistake and started punishing themselves. So essentially it is a way to admit you are at fault by inflicting punishment on yourself. It is also a form of humiliation showing that the person being punished is at fault and awaitng further punishment. Basically it is an admission of guilt, a self-inflicted punishment and humiliation to repent for the mistake you made.

Yes That is what I am talking about I think. Here are two examples:

Here is Jackie Chan in The Drunken Master:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1hs7b ... shortfilms

If you look at 17:00 you will see him do it when his father is reprimanding him.

In The Magnificent Butcher Sammo hung does it at around 24:10 When his Master is reprimanding him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhbaYVhqBHw

I've seen it in other movies also. I think I have seen Alexander Feng and Wang Yue also do it. I'm not sure but maybe it's just in comedy parts of the movies.

*cough* Lo Meng/The Toad in Five Deadly Venoms *cough*

This made me think of David Chiang's character "The Rambler" in The Duel. he would cough right before someone was about to get killed!

legendarycurry
I think its because your ears are there week spot its got to do with pressure points and every thing because if you get hit in the right spot in your ears its over just my opinion

You mentioning this made me think of how scenes involving people getting hit in the ears was censored in the UK .

I remember there being mention that a a scene in Battlecreek Brawl was edited out of HKL releases of the film where Jackie hits the villain in the ears with a double ear clap.

the old swedish VHS still has it though :)

I know the British films edited for animal cruelty and some violence but that would have been bad?

It's so funny I cant stand bloody gory modern films which are very realistic but the Shaw brother's films don't bother me. i don't like when they had the ones with women being raped. I could also never see Human Lanterns as even the concept grosses me out. I hear the new version out is uncut and gets high marks but I'm good. I think there is even a more modern film with the same premise with Tony Leung (Big Tony).

I also get the Taiwanese versions of films as they tend to be less edited than the HK versions.

Archived