Kung Fu Movie Styles

SMK

The fighting Fan There are several Martial arts styles that use the fighting fan, I just love it!

I like it in Dirty Ho where Wang Lung Wei uses it, and with Ti Lung in several of his films like The Sentimental Swordsman.

They do it in Tai Chi I would love to learn it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lady Jin Szu-Yi

Yeah the use of the fan is pretty spectacular. It's such an elegant yet clandestine weapon. Had no idea it was used in Tai Chi, hope you get to learn it Hei.

Leung Kar Yan's Iron Cross fighting style from the Victim remains my favorite of the made up styles in martial films. I wish that was real because I'd seek out a master pronto.

I am a sucker for great pole weapon fights. So put a spear or Kuan Do in Lu Feng's hands and I'm gone (also applies to Ti Lung.)

I had to eat humble pie today because I watched the end fight of Five Element Ninjas and liked it :blush . I really focused on Chan Wai Man whose moves were great, despite saying he had such a hard time in period films because of the massive amounts of moves in the fights.)

For real styles, I love the Mantis style because I can clearly see the animal in the form and I like the animal too. It's always great to see Lo Meng bust this out (and his hook swords in Human Lanterns pushes this to the extreme) along with David Chiang's fantastic work in Shaolin Mantis.

jimmywangfan

chang yi's wolf boxing technique in ninja wolves :cool

lung fei's lobsterfist technique in mission kiss and kill

bolo's fu style 

Anything that involves impressive kicking(especially the jumping kicks without the aid of a wire)love that stuff

As far as weapons go, I have to go with any type of pole fight. Very aesthetically pleasing to me when done right.

After that, I really love when Shapes are made to look painful, any style. I enjoy the more common "soft" acrobatic/fancy shapes, but stuff like Chen Kuan Tai's Hung Gar in Heroes Two is the best!

Drunken Style is in fact a real style. I'm looking for some crazy, unorthodox, not realistic styles :smile

It's a real style, it's just not a real authentic style. When the Ching Wu academies opened in the early 20th century to rescue martial arts from oblivion there were no "drunken style" methods. There is not a single known example that predates the boxer rebellion.

Drunken style seems to have been created as theatrical martial arts and to have originated in the Peking Opera. During the surge in popularity of martial arts film, it was just one more thing borrowed and incorporated into the genre.

Now, as a result, many Kung Fu, or Chuan Fa boxing schools have adopted or created a drunken style form. Choy Li Fut has one, but it is a rather recent addition to the style and the oldest examples seem to be from around the late 1950s and early 1960s.

I always loved "snake fist" styles of kung fu where everybody makes cobra hands and starts doing half ass spear hand strikes with devastating results.

serpent_98cf1097235bf04fc7d92c1efa0fc49f

Even more hilarious is when random "Kung Fu" schools profess to teach this rare style and try and make that stuff actually work. Not sure what is more comical, the guys teaching 100% absurd and non functional martial arts based directly on Shaw Brothers films or the couple dozen guys earnestly trying to master the given snake techniques and wondering why they can't make them work.

I've rarely encountered the legit "internal" snake style and of course it looks nothing like the guy doing cobra hands.

Secret Executioner

I always loved "snake fist" styles of kung fu where everybody makes cobra hands and starts doing half ass spear hand strikes with devastating results.

serpent_98cf1097235bf04fc7d92c1efa0fc49f

Even more hilarious is when random "Kung Fu" schools profess to teach this rare style and try and make that stuff actually work. Not sure what is more comical, the guys teaching 100% absurd and non functional martial arts based directly on Shaw Brothers films or the couple dozen guys earnestly trying to master the given snake techniques and wondering why they can't make them work.

I've rarely encountered the legit "internal" snake style and of course it looks nothing like the guy doing cobra hands.

In My Story, Jackie mentions the Snake Fist but I'm not sure whether he's making fun of its usual portrayal in films or if he's serious about it - he explains it based on a figure similar to the picture you posted and he says something like "that arm is the snake's tongue".  :squigglemouth: 

That other Snake style you mention (the legit "internal" one) sounds interesting, never heard of it - I usually thought of Snake Fist as the "cobra hands" and "python splits" you usually get in late 1970s/early 1980s films.

In My Story, Jackie mentions the Snake Fist but I'm not sure whether he's making fun of its usual portrayal in films or if he's serious about it - he explains it based on a figure similar to the picture you posted and he says something like "that arm is the snake's tongue".  :squigglemouth: 

That other Snake style you mention (the legit "internal" one) sounds interesting, never heard of it - I usually thought of Snake Fist as the "cobra hands" and "python splits" you usually get in late 1970s/early 1980s films.

There is the snake element from original "Five Animal" styles and their legitimate derivatives and there is an internal style which practices "poison hand" techniques along the lines of Dim Mak / Tien Hsueh but with stylized "fang and tail" hand postures.

Sadly what is most commonly encountered is the Chicom "WuShu" version of snake boxing which looks a lot more like Electric Boogaloo than martial arts. This is followed closely by many US "Kung Fu Theater" inspired snake styles.

Many, many years ago I actually sparred against a snake stylist who kept "fingertip" striking me with quick flicks to my arms and shoulder and I started laughing so hard I had to stop sparring. His teacher quickly admonished me by pointing out that if these moves were done with "full chi intent" that I wouldn't be laughing and would probably have to go to the emergency room. His stern lecture did little to help me stop laughing.

I'm still waiting for somebody to come up with "dog style" kung fu complete with techniques where you leg hump your opponent into submission. It really wouldn't be any more ridiculous than some of the things I've seen.

Archived