Kung Fu Movie Styles

SMK

What are some of your favorite "kung fu movie styles", styles that aren't real, but made up for film.

What's the name of the style and in which movie did it appear?

One good one, would be the "Cosmic Palm Technique" from THE MAGNIFICENT BUTCHER (1979)

another

"Spider Fist", from CHALLENGE OF DEATH (1978).

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Secret Executioner
Drunken Style has always been my personal favorite

Isn't it an ACTUAL style though ? :thinking

My fav' styles tend to be the "invincible" ones like the Toad Style (Five Venoms) and the Iron Armour (Shaolin Martial Arts). Not sure why, but I find those pretty badass. :cool

shaolin swords

i know that theres many pressure point moves in many kung fu styles i dont think its a real style but i would have to go with the style gordon liu used in shaolin vs wu tand the chi kang fist style AND YES DRUNKEN STYLE IS MOST DEFINITLEY A REAL STYLE OF MARTIAL ARTS

Lady Jin Szu-Yi

I am including weapons too:

Tiger style (Shanghai 13) Hand to hand or butterfly sword, this fight style is one my favorites hands down. It looks real and dangerous. :clappinghands

Iron Cross style (the Victim) I was a little disappointed when I discovered this style was not real. It is very impressive, intimidating and looks quite powerful.

Centipede (Five Venoms) Deadly, ridiculously fast and fun to watch.

The Guan Dao styles (Magnificent Ruffians) :love

Lizard (Five Venoms): It's just fun.

The Zombie of the West / Zombie Casters style and Xiao’s spear / sword style (Swordsman and Enchantress): I like the idea of a ‘death’ style and Xiao’s weapon use was pretty cool too.

Deadly Broken Sword style: Crazy and suitable for an arrogant swordsman. UPDATE: Ditto with the halberd maneuvers for the Throat Piercing Halberd. 

Iron Palm (Brave Archer) films: Super villain over the top and I love it. It’s one of the reasons why I kept trying with the Brave Archer series because I always knew I’d be rewarded with some fun Lo Meng moves.

Szu-Yi hook sword mantis style (Human Lanterns): Szu-Yi may not have been accurate, but I thought this was a very cool nod to Lo Meng’s mantis expertise. Between the hooks, the costume colors and the way Lo moves, he comes across like a human preying mantis.

UPDATE: Bloody Devil's style - kicking, ripping and some nasty claw work. The dude is just mean. 

The Peter Pan-esque leaps of Little Bat and the Wandering Swordsman.

Mantis a la Shaolin Mantis

Whatever Wilson Tong is doing in The Victim final fight.

ShaOW!linDude

Jackie Chan's Cat Style in Snake in the Eagle's Shadow was invented for the film. As much as I love that movie, that always bothered me. Not because I initially thought the style was real only to be disappointed on finding out it wasn't, but because an actual style could've been depicted, or he could have made up a better one.

Guest Anonymous

I also love the Sleep Style and the Laughing/Smile Style from Buddha Assassinator that Hwang Jang Lee does.

Especially when he switches style and is one moment laughing all crazy and funny then he is sleepy and sleepily throws strikes.

I also love the Sleep Style and the Laughing/Smile Style from Buddha Assassinator that Hwang Jang Lee does.

Especially when he switches style and is one moment laughing all crazy and funny then he is sleepy and sleepily throws strikes.

Incredible examples of exactly the kind of "styles" I was talking about. Great choices there WhiteDragon. :thumbsup

legendarycurry

The "Emotional Kung Fu" in Fearless Hyena is fun IMHO, Just one of several fun styles out there.

Guest Anonymous

Incredible examples of exactly the kind of "styles" I was talking about. Great choices there WhiteDragon. :thumbsup

Thanks. I really enjoy the fake kung fu styles for movies sometimes. Its hilarious. I forget which movie but I saw a Horse Style and a Duck Style before. I am not sure but I think Luen Kar Yen was in the one with the horse style and they even had the sound of a horse "neying." I love how when they do animal styles the sound of the animal comes out of nowhere. I personally WANT to believe these are all real ways of fighting.

Have you seen Kung Fu Genius? I think that movie has some fake styles too but I am not sure. I know they have many styles he learns through manuals though.

Just finished rewatching The Proud Youth and Wong Yu uses Toilet Sword Style against Chan Wai Man where you sit on a rock and the first one who touches the ground loses. That also reminds me of the toilet style Sammo uses as a joke in Prodigal Son.

Guest Anonymous

HA!! So it was Kung Fu genius I was thinking of an then I mentioned it later. LOL! That movie was awesome! And there was a part where they used the Rocky theme that was funny and it lasted for a bit then randomly turns off haha.

I love how the duck style in this movie is shown like its normal. I feel like it was filmed to not be so comedic but to scare the guys and make them confused. I mean I think they knew it was funny but also make it look serious for a moment.

Secret Executioner
The "Emotional Kung Fu" in Fearless Hyena is fun IMHO, Just one of several fun styles out there.

Only saw a trailer for this movie and this style looks kinda funny with all the overplayed emotions.

"Lady Kung fu" like in Kara Hui teaches Gordon Liu in Clan of the White Lotus

and the styles practiced by The Seven Tigresses of Guandong in Dirty Ho with Wang Yu!!

Guest Anonymous
"Lady Kung fu" like in Kara Hui teaches Gordon Liu in Clan of the White Lotus

and the styles practiced by The Seven Tigresses of Guandong in Dirty Ho with Wang Yu!!

HAHAHA "The Sufferer!!!" That was so funny in Dirty Ho. That entire scene is so confusing to me and wacky. Its a huge trip!

Also, I agree that Clan of the Whit Lotus's "women's" style like threading a needle was pretty rad. The strategy involved to defeat the iron armor and his light skills was awesome!

Guest Anonymous

The Art of Fighting Without Fighting is also another made up style from the Bruce Lee movie Enter The Dragon.

ShaOW!linDude
I loved sleeping fist.

Yes, I love this, too. :love So similar to Drunken Style.

Secret Executioner

The Golden Rooster (I assume it must be called that based on the French dub) from Marvelous Stunts Of Kung Fu. A very entertaining style. :cool

I have two that when I first saw them I thought that was the coolest thing since sliced bread.They were the cat's claw used by jackie chan in snake in the eagle's shadow and the crab style used by yasuaki kurata in heroes of the east.Honorable mentions go out to the centipede by lu feng,And the dragon fist the way Beardy did it from

Two on the road aka Fearless dragons.He was roaring and everything like a real dragon!

Archived