Linn, any news on R1 Streetfighter Boxset?

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Havent heard anything about it for a while. I was considereing buying the UK boxset off cd-wow yesterday when I was ordering Flag Of Iron. Im growing impatient!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as New Line snatched it back from Image, going against a deal they had signed. In a nutshell, Image made a deal for the series as a bulk deal with a lot of other exploitation films, but New Line didn't realize that these films were included. They then refused to give Image the materials saying "they couldn't find them." It was not a pretty picture. And considering Image was trying to make a fanboy's wetdream with the extras and whatnot, I don't have high hopes for New Line's release of the set. That's IF it ever happens.

Guest kungfusamurai

That doesn't make sense. Wouldn't Image be using the negatives from Japan, not from New Line in the US? We've already got the bootlegs of the old LDs floating around on the cheapy labels with the English dubs. If New Line signed away the rights, then couldn't Image bring the print in from Japan? Perhaps they could even negotiate with Optimum in the UK?

KFS

it's pretty damn confusing, but New Line owns the rights to at least the dubs and original promotional materials. Image wanted the whole package for the US market, so you go through New Line. They would have then gone and gotten the remastered prints. Had they done like Optimum (getting the remastered prints alone), I'm pretty sure that New Line would then take them on over who truly has the rights to the films in the US. BTW, I know what you're thinking. I have NO CLUE why New Line never cracked down on the boots. Most likely the same reason they signed over the rights to these films for nothing, they didn't really care until they were worth something. The problem is, now that Kill Bill has come and gone, the moment has passed for their true worth so to speak. I feel sorry for the people working on the release all this time, because they were really trying to do it right by creating the "ultimate" release.

Hey Linn,

Why don't you have high hopes for New Line's release? Who would sit on such a great and profitable release?? This is such discouraging news

because the people working on it at Image actually cared about the project and had set up some great extras already. All that was wiped away when it went back to New Line, who clearly never cared about the release in the first place.

Archived