Dance Of Death (1979)

kevenz

I watched Jackie Chan's Dance of Death with Angela Mao recently and honestly I'm surprised this is listed as a 1976 title.

There wasn't much kung fu comedy in 76 from what I saw so far and it's certainly more..... avant-garde than Shaolin Wooden Men (1976) with Jackie Chan himself. More complex choregraphy and such. It's no masterpiece but it's fun to have a kung fu movie with a girl as a main character.

I watched a bootleg copy with crappy vhs pan and scan quality, washed out colors and shitty sound...... I heard the best version is the rarescope dvd, gotta check that out.

• Like 1

I have only one copy of "Dance Of Death", the widescreen Crash Cinema edition. I find the movie poorly edited. :movie The first scene has Angela Mao at an old temple where she cons two old fighters in teaching their fighting styles. But in the next she is struggling in the street fighting a skinny guy. Is this crash cinema editing or is the film actually poorly edited in all dvd releases? it is so frustrating to watch. :angry

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude

The movie is full of fights (to the point it's almost mind-numbing at times), and plenty of obnoxious humor, but then it also has Dean Shek in it, so there you go. Still, there's a nice display of Animals styles in places. This also has one of the best end fights I've seen in quite a while, with Angela using a Dancing Girl style invented by her 2 teachers, which is very Tai Chi in nature, but man, she hits some killer postures. The villain, played by Ga Hoi, uses Crazy Horse style, signified by a whinny every time he resorts to it. 

This is not found in the 6 movie Angela Mao collection. I picked up a used copy ($4) on a fluke out of curiosity. Score!!!

• Like 4

On 11/5/2015 at 6:07 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

The movie is full of fights (to the point it's almost mind-numbing at times), and plenty of obnoxious humor, but then it also has Dean Shek in it, so there you go. Still, there's a nice display of Animals styles in places. This also has one of the best end fights I've seen in quite a while, with Angela using a Dancing Girl style invented by her 2 teachers, which is very Tai Chi in nature, but man, she hits some killer postures. The villain, played by Ga Hoi, uses Crazy Horse style, signified by a whinny every time he resorts to it. 

This is not found in the 6 movie Angela Mao collection. I picked up a used copy ($4) on a fluke out of curiosity. Score!!!

According to the Essential Jackie Chan Source book not many people involved had a good time. It was filmed during a really cold Korean winter and the trampolines they used tended to freeze up and not work.

• Like 3

On 11/5/2015 at 6:07 AM, ShaOW!linDude said:

Two things:

1. I've Always wondered about that 1976 release date (I've seen 1980 in some places, which would make more sense). If it were really 1976, then that means that Jackie was WAY ahead of his time here when it came to fight choreography, since the extremely elaborate, mannered choreography didn't really become the vogue until 1978. Also, it was directed by his long-time friend Chen Chi-Hwa, who often did second unit diretor work on his later, more popular films. But as I understand it, he didn't meet Chen until Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin. So yeah, that date...

2. This is an extremely divisive Angela Mao film for fans, some of who like the long and elaborately-choreographed fight scenes, other who dislike that approach in favor of her more head kick-oriented basher style from the early/mid 70s.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

Just got through checking my dvd copy again, and there's no copyright date listed either during the opening credits or the end. HKMDb notes it as being 1976, so I'm deferring to that. If that holds true, that's the same year Chan did Shaolin Wooden Men which he also choreographed, so I could see him incorporating that elaborate style of choreography he is known for. Now which he did first, I don't know. That was released in Nov.11, 1976. Dance of Death has no release date, only the year. It's possible he did DoD first and then SWM, but I don't know.

This is only the 2nd film of Mao's I've seen (Hapkido being the 1st), and as much as I liked her in that, she is superb in this. I'm not a big fan of basher flicks, but I can tolerate them if they're good. One thing of note, during the opening credits, she is doing forms, as is common in this genre. However, instead of freeze-framing at moments to flash the credits, she actually pauses and holds the posture for a few seconds and then continues. I found that interesting.

As to DragonClaws' assertion, it seems to me that about half the film is shot on location and half on studio sets, but I may be wrong. I didn't notice much trampoline work, but there were a couple of instances where Ga Hoi was wired up for extended flying side kicks, but that's not over-exaggerated by any means.

• Like 2

Just got through checking my dvd copy again, and there's no copyright date listed either during the opening credits or the end. HKMDb notes it as being 1976, so I'm deferring to that. If that holds true, that's the same year Chan did Shaolin Wooden Men which he also choreographed, so I could see him incorporating that elaborate style of choreography he is known for. Now which he did first, I don't know. That was released in Nov.11, 1976. Dance of Death has no release date, only the year. It's

The review sites/pages "View from the Brooklyn Bridge" (brns.com) and "Far East Films" (fareastfilms.com) has the release date as being 1980. Hong Kong Cinemagic informs 1979 as the release date. The HKMDB and "The Films on Video of Angela Mao (http://www.angelfire.com/az/ying/) say 1976. I suppose when Christ comes again and reveals the truth of all things, we'll find out when the real release date of this puppy was.

• Like 2

masterofoneinchpunch

The review sites/pages "View from the Brooklyn Bridge" (brns.com) and "Far East Films" (fareastfilms.com) has the release date as being 1980. Hong Kong Cinemagic informs 1979 as the release date. The HKMDB and "The Films on Video of Angela Mao (http://www.angelfire.com/az/ying/) say 1976. I suppose when Christ comes again and reveals the truth of all things, we'll find out when the real release date of this puppy was.

I'm a pretty big fan of HKFA (Hong Kong Film Archive) when it comes to dates (and BO) as that site tends to be the most reliable.  They have the Taiwanese release date as  04. 07. 1980.  (though they are using the European style so it is July fourth for the release date.)  Now, it could have been shot a year or two earlier like Half a Loaf of Kung Fu.

• Like 2

ShaOW!linDude

I suppose when Christ comes again and reveals the truth of all things, we'll find out when the real release date of this puppy was.

True. (That made me laugh.) Or once Teako finishes his Fu Sheng biography, he can spend another 10 years researching one on Angela Mao. So maybe in a decade we'll know...if not sooner.

• Like 2

Looking at the image below Chan could have made DOD round the time of Snake & Crane Arts Of Shaolin. I'm going by the hair style hes got in the picture and the one he has in SCAOS.

Chan stages a fight scene with Angel Mao
tumblr_n4sb0eYy0A1syv3zao1_500.png

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Rare photo of:

Jackie Chan & Anegla Mao Ying

Jackie Chan: Action Director 

DANCE OF DEATH 1979 

DanceofDeath+1976-25-b.jpg

Rare Photo:  

Jackie up and close while giving fight direction.

13532988_1014284002025128_26278180412355

I wonder if the poster is legit because Jackie was not in the movie!

Image result for poster dance of death angela mao ying

Image result for poster dance of death angela mao ying

GD Y-Y

• Like 4

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
17 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:
17 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

GD Y-Y

Edited by GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG
  • Like 1

DragonClaws
2 hours ago, GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG said:

I wonder if the poster is legit because Jackie was not in the movie!

It's legit, they have used an image from Jackie Chan's Half A Loaf of Kung Fu, and stuck it on the poster art.

He only choreogrpahed the fight scenens @GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG, but becuase he went on to be a big star. His name now dominates most of the films releases.

Killer Meteor

Jackie must have had a lean break, as he has four films out in '76 (Hand of Death, New Fist of Fury, Killer Meteors, and Shaolin Wooden Men), but '77 only has him in To Kill With Intrigue. '78 sees no fewer then 5 new films released in HK!

• Like 2

DragonClaws
9 minutes ago, Killer Meteor said:

Jackie must have had a lean break, as he has four films out in '76 (Hand of Death, New Fist of Fury, Killer Meteors, and Shaolin Wooden Men), but '77 only has him in To Kill With Intrigue. '78 sees no fewer then 5 new films released in HK!

He said in his biogrpahy that the business was at an all time low around the mid-70's, depsite the boom the genra had in the West. Which is why he went to Australia, and considered dropping out of the entertainment world for good.

DragonClaws
1 minute ago, Killer Meteor said:

Yeah, but that was 74/75, not 77. I wonder if Lo Wei Productions had to cease temporaily.

What little I know about the film company, comes from a few JC book's I own. I dont know if it did cease production at any time?, but Chan joined them post Australia right?.

One Armed Boxer

Can we just put it out there, if you find a picture on the internet, it's about as far away from being 'rare' as the Milky Way is from Earth.

• Like 3

DragonClaws
3 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

Can we just put it out there, if you find a picture on the internet, it's about as far away from being 'rare' as the Milky Way is from Earth.

Rare can be a subjective word too, whats rare to one person, can be common to another. It also depends on how long the image has been online, before it get passed and re-posted/re-tweeted millions of times.

Killer Meteor
6 hours ago, One Armed Boxer said:

GoldenDragonYingYang is one for incoherent hoopla.

Does anyone know the actual release year of this film?

A lot of sources say 1976, including the IMDB, which comes across as being too early for the type of comedic set-up and choreography on display--or maybe Chan was just EXTREMELY before his time on that sort of thing. Also, if it was something Chan did as a favor for Chen Chi-Hwa, I suspect it'd be after 1976, when the two made their first film together: Shaolin Wooden Men.

"A View from the Brooklyn Bridge" says it was made in 1980, which is a little more understandable in terms of both the story and choreography tropes, plus in terms of Chan's relationship to Chen Chi-Hwa.

The HKMDB puts the release date as 1979 (presumably in Taiwan) with a Hong Kong release date of 1980.

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, DrNgor said:

Also, if it was something Chan did as a favor for Chen Chi-Hwa, I suspect it'd be after 1976, when the two made their first film together: Shaolin Wooden Men.

Lo Wei directed Shaolin Wooden Men(1976). I think Jackie Chan's first film with Chen Chi-Hwa, was Face Behind the Mask(1977)?.

• Like 1