Ho Chung Tao

SMK

This bio was written by a kung fu brother, and sent to me years ago for use on my site. I decided to post it here on the forum. These are unedited.

Ho Chung Tao

Ho Chung Tao better known under stage name Bruce Li, is a Taiwanese actor/acrobat/martial artist that became famous for his roles in Bruceploitation movies during ’70. Ho is probably the best known Bruce Lee imitator out them all, actually he has some very good films in his career like NG See Yuan’s Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth that was one of the few large budget Bruce exploitation films, other includes Fist of Fury sequel Fist of Fury part II and Dynamo.

At the end of his career Ho Chung Tao started with using his own name in the movies and saying that he wanted to be himself. He finally retreated from acting in 1985 after his wife death and then he opened his own gymnasium in Taiwan Ping Tsun University,that was actually his first life dream.

Ho was born on 5.June 1950 in Taiwan, since childhood he was big fan of martial art movies so in the High School he began with practicing Tae Kwan Do, Wing Tsun, Gymnastics, Judo, Karate and Boxing. In 1970 he went in the Taiwanese acting school to learn acting, after that his teacher, bring him into the movie business. After finishing school and military service, in early `70 Ho Chung Tao got into the show business. In his early career he was just a stuntman and small part actor in some movies under the name James Ho.

In 1973 Bruce Lee died and HK needed a new leading actor, Taiwanese movie directors suggest Ho to be new leading actor, Ho accept this offer, took a stage name Bruce Li from Jimmy Shaw and made debut in movie “Conspiracy” (1973), movie stayed lost for long time, but it was finally re-edited and released in 1976 after huge success of another film “Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger”. Between those two films Ho appeared in unknown Bruce Lee bio-picture that was released later in semi documentary The Real Bruce Lee, film that also include some footage from Bruce Lee’s earlier movie and Dragon Lee film as well.

Later Li was star of movie “Bruce Lee A Dragon Story” which was biographic movie of Bruce Lee. Short time after that Bruce Li wanted to get his own name, so in the most movies he was credited as Ho Chung Tao. Later in his career Ho Chung Tao starred in some low budget Kung Fu chop sockies including Goodbye Bruce Lee: His Last Game of Death movie that is one of the many, Game of Death inspirited by movies.

Greedy film directors used Ho’s physical resemblance to Lee for selling movies, some directors went so far and even made posters with real Bruce Lee and wrote on them starring Bruce Lee, it was good bite not only for fans in HK but all around world mostly in USA, Italy, UK, Germany and Yugoslavia. In his movies like all other imitators Ho usualy played Bruce Lee’s friend (Exit the Dragon, Enter the Tiger), his cousin (Fist of Fury 2 & 3) or simply his fan (Bruce Lee We Miss You).

In 1976 notable film director Lee Tso Nam known for his good works, decided to make a Fist of Fury sequel and picked up Ho for the role of Chan Shan, brother of Bruce Lee’s character. After finishing movie showed up to be very popular and helped Ho Chung Tao to gross his first 1 000 000$, also that film is one of 3 Ho Chung Tao movies that he loves, other include: Dynamo and Chinese Stuntman.

Later Ho appeared in movie Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth that is best example of Bruce exploitation movie, this large budget film was filmed in several different places in the world including Coliseum in Rome, Ice Factory in Pak Chok, Thailand and various places in USA. In this film Bruce Lee’s teacher Yip Man was played by his real life son grandmaster Yip Chun. On the set of this film in San Francisco was discovered Carl R. Scott, young martial artist that starred in next excellent Bruce Li project “Soul Brothers of Kung Fu”.

In this period Ho wanted to get his own name, he said to directors “I can act like Bruce Lee, but I can’t be him”! so he began with writing his real name in movie credits and acting in movies that have nothing to do with Bruce Lee, like Edge of Fury or Lama Avengers.

In 1978 he was considered to finish Bruce Lee’s unfinished project Game of Death, but suddenly he turned it down because he was just one of the 3 imitators that played Bruce Lees character. Also Ho Chung Tao starred in movie Dynamo that was directed by legendary Yuen brothers. When they have lost on money, producers used some footage from film Bruce Lee’s Last Days and Nights starring Danny Lee.

In 1979 Ho changed his style for a bit and began with acting in movies that have doze of humor in them, two most notable films were “Blind Fist of Bruce Lee” and “Lama Avenger”. In first film Ho did something like combination of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan style, other film was also bit comedy that have some jokes, that actually worked.

After crazy ’70s have finished, in 1980 Ho Chung Tao directed and starred in probably one of his best films, “Chinese Stuntman”. Another Bruce Lee imitator, Bruce Le had a brief work on the film, after this movie Bruce Li finally became man that he wanted to be his whole life, that man is Ho Chung Tao.

In career Ho Chung Tao became on the biggest Kung Fu movie icons of all times. When Bruce Lee left it was hard time for everyone but Ho followed his steps, and bring him back! In many Bruce Li’s movies we can see some of the Bruce Lee’s co-stars or friends including: Angela Mao, Unicorn Chan, Tien Feng, Lee Kwan and more. Like every other star, Ho made some bad movies during his career. Bruce Lee Against Superman and Great Hero have been always considered to be his worse. Expect those two gorilla fight in Bruce Lee the Invincible and pagoda fights in Goodbye Bruce Lee were laughable.

During early ’80 Ho made some appearance in film Dragon Force and also on TV including popular Japanese TV-Series G-Men ’75 also he made quiet rare appearance on Taiwanese TV in film Pink Trap that was unknown until 21st century. In 1985 Ho Chung Tao’s life changed forever, when he’s wife died. After that incident he went back to Taiwan and opened Ping Tsun University in city of Taipei.

Actually that was his first life dream, he became PE and Drama teacher. During later ’80 and early ’90 Ho Chung Tao made some brief appearances on Taiwanese TV series. In 1990 Ho appeared in documentary Top Fighter where he talked about his life and career. Recently it was advertised that Ho Chung Tao left Ping Chun University for some reason and that he is not working there any more, however his current situation for now is unknown.

-Marko G.

• Like 7

legendarycurry

Much respect to a man that decided he did not want to imitate someone else his whole career and become an actor on his own terms.

• Like 5

Secret Executioner

First saw him in Edge Of Fury. I also enjoyed Bruce Lee: The Invincible (where he fights a gorilla) and Fist Of Fury 3 (possibly my fav' of his films - it's pretty dark and violent, but the action is really cool). Also saw Bruce Li In New Guinea (silly yet rather fun film).

He is one of the best Bruce clones around though I prefer Bruce Le and Dragon for how OTT they are. :tongueout

• Like 3

Much respect to a man that decided he did not want to imitate someone else his whole career and become an actor on his own terms.

Well said. Yes much props to Ho Chung Tao!

• Like 5

He made some great films.The first one I saw was exit the dragon enter the tiger but my favourites are lama avenger,Chinese stuntman and the tiger strikes again with lo mang and Carl Scott great entertainment

• Like 5

He was awesome. Everyone should see The Iron Dragon Strikes Back.

Classic film, I just wished he'd starting make his own brand of Kung Fu films earlier. I changed my opinion of him a lot after renting The Chinese Stuntman.

• Like 3

Iron Dragon is the only non Bruceploitation film featuring him that I have seen, so I would really be up for seeing that one(Chinese Stuntman).

With that said, Dynamo is probably my favorite Bruceploitation anyway, and I feel like I have to see Bruce in New Guinea.Lul

Edited by paimeifist
  • Like 1

Secret Executioner

and I feel like I have to see Bruce in New Guinea.Lul

A crazy wizard (played by Chan Sing) that uses Snake based Fu, Dana as a very welcoming princess (Bruce Li getting poisoned leads to him banging her) and a scene with gratuitious nudity (it's a Category 3 apparently) leads to a gorilla showing up and beating a couple of tribe guys. What's not to like ?  :P 

Edited by Secret Executioner
  • Like 1

A crazy wizard (played by Chan Sing) that uses Snake based Fu, Dana as a very welcoming princess (Bruce Li getting poisoned leads to him banging her) and a scene with gratuitious nudity (it's a Category 3 apparently) leads to a gorilla showing up and beating a couple of tribe guys. What's not to like ?  :P 

He's also paired up with real Martial Artist Larry Lee who actually knew Bruce Lee back in the early 70's. I think Larry Lee taught self defence to the HK police force befor he got into film?s. They mention something like this in the Top Fighter documentary released by Eastern Heroes.

On 28/01/2018 at 3:01 PM, DragonClaws said:

ho+chung+tao+%25283%2529.jpg

It reminds me of my youth...When I was 14-15 years old, I was used to buy this magazine, mainly when there were female fighters appearing on the covers.

I only got 8 magazines because they stopped releasing it in France and I was very disappointed !

I have the one with the movie Stoner in it, another one with the movie Black panther, another one with The valiant ones, another one with The Ming patriots and so on, with also posters of Angela Mao, Yu Tien Long and Chi Kuan Chun.

I recently bought the above one in its German release during an auction...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

I only got 8 magazines because they stopped releasing it in France and I was very disappointed !

Did you get every issue that featured a female star on the cover?.

1 hour ago, ShawAngela said:

another one with the movie Black panther

The Chan Sing Yusuaki Kurata film?.

16 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Did you get every issue that featured a female star on the cover?.

Unfortunately not, and I think that they weren't all on the covers and that I had to open the magazines before buying in order to see if there was a female fighter...Angela in Stoner was at the back cover of the magazine.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

The Chan Sing Yusuaki Kurata film?.

Yes, the one with Nancy Yen ; that's why I bought it  : they showed her punching a man and being hanged by her hands at the top of a building...

And in one of these magazines, there is a picture showing Ti Lung training with a wooden man on Wing Chung (if i remember well) at the top of the picture, and doing calligraphy at the bottom of the picture. At that time, i didn't even know who was Ti Lung !!

Edited by ShawAngela
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ShawAngela said:

Yes, the one with Nancy Yen ; that's why I bought it  : they showed her punching a man and being hanged by her hands at the top of a building...

Thanks for the feeback @ShawAngela.

Is this the issue you mean?, I couldnt find a larger image than this one.

s-l225.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DragonClaws said:

Is this the issue you mean?, I couldnt find a larger image than this one.

s-l225.jpg

I have to verify, but it seems to me that that's the one.

• Like 1

People are always going on about Bruce Lee documentaries but I think it would be good to do one on this man,I think that would be a great watch👍

• Like 4

I've rarely seen older VHS releases, if any, that correctly lists the films action director, like this one does.

CHINESE-CONNECTION-2.jpg

Edited by DragonClaws
  • Like 2

i'm a massive Ho Chung Tao fan and it's my mission to get the best releases of his movies - slowly there's reasonable ones appearing but some are still in desperate need of a watchable version.

Enter The Panther

Magnum Fist

Revenge of the Patriots

i can't find decent versions anywhere.

• Like 3