Hong Kong Rescue Custom Blu-Rays of HK Cinema Classics!

jrodefeld

Hello,

I know that some of you have got some custom Blu-Rays that I have made in the past. I am the head of an effort we call "Hong Kong Rescue". This is a fan-driven effort to create the ultimate hybrid versions of neglected Hong Kong cinema classics. We like to think of ourselves as the "Criterion Collection" of Asian cinema.

Here are some youtube videos of two of our custom titles:

About the Hong Kong Rescue project…

The Hong Kong Rescue project is a collaborative effort to rescue classic Hong Kong and kung-fu cinema classics from the neglectful studios and give them the proper high definition releases that they deserve. What this entails is tracking down the very best aspects of every home video release from VHS to Laserdisc to DVD to Blu-Ray and combining them into custom made definitive versions. There are several features of every Hong Kong Rescue release and we will never fall short of meeting the standard we have set for ourselves:

1. We only use genuine HD transfers, never upscales. If it is necessary, we will combine several different video sources through careful editing to recreate the uncut and theatrical versions of these classic films. Custom color grading and matching is applied when necessary. If there are two different cuts of the film that are worthwhile we will provide both of them, as we have with our Police Story custom that includes both the Hong Kong theatrical cut and the extended Japanese theatrical cut.

2. We use the very best uncompressed PCM audio of the original Cantonese or Mandarin language audio track. This might entail tracking down the rare Hong Kong laserdisc of the film, extracting the audio and syncing it up painstakingly by hand. For secondary audio options, we will include all available audio tracks in their highest quality versions. 5.1 remixes, English dubs and commentary tracks are compiled and assembled.

3. Only the very best and most accurate English translation subtitles are used. Frequently this requires us to retranslate portions or the entirety of a film by hand. We have several collaborators who speak Cantonese fluently and are very capable at working with subtitles.

4. We want to include every special feature, interview and deleted scene that is available from every home version ever released. Compiled onto one disc, you can enjoy a comprehensive behind the scenes look at the creation of these neglected masterpieces.

5. We pay very special attention to the design of the menus and the authoring of the final Blu-Ray disc. We encode at the highest bitrate and try to make every single aspect as seamless and professional as possible.

6. Custom cover and disc art is created by a colleague who has a stock of 1000s of rare posters, magazines and books on Hong Kong cinema to draw from. The overall package for each of these titles is something that we can be proud of and conclusively refer to as “the definitive version” now and for many years to come.

We are enthusiasts and fans as much as you are. But this is time consuming work to say the least. Well over 100 hours cumulatively go into each title we assemble and we don’t want to cut any corners. By purchasing this disc, you have helped to ensure that we can continue to spend the time and energy to do what the studios won’t, which is to respect these films as they deserve to be respected and release a home Blu-Ray that does them justice.

So far we have released these titles:

1. Hard Boiled

2. Police Story

3. Drunken Master 2

5. Drunken Master

In the near future we plan on releasing customs of the following films: Project A, Wheels on Meals, The Young Master, Armour of God, Armour of God 2: Operation Condor, Fist of Legend, The Killer, Dragon Lord, A Better Tomorrow and many more.

If you enjoy this disc, please consider ordering our other films. If you would like to contribute to this project in any way, either through donation or by helping to make these projects even better (contributing artwork, rare interviews, audio tracks, laserdiscs, etc) then don’t hesitate to email me at:

Jrodefeld@gmail.com

You can also send a donation through Paypal to the above address and/or order another title in our collection.

Please tell your friends about these releases. Spread the word. We want to get these into the hands of Asian cinema enthusiasts across the world.

Thanks for your support!

You can contact me directly at the above email address or you can order these titles directly from the below links:

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/drunken-...-137293540.htm

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/drunken-...-137293724.htm

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/hard-boi...-137293649.htm

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/police-s...-137293612.htm

I really think you will be very impressed with the Hong Kong Rescue custom Blu-Rays. Supercop should be done in a week or two.

Please email me if you have any questions. And please spread the word about the Hong Kong Rescue Project!

Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First off, I would like to say welcome to the forum.

:clappinghands I do applaud your efforts in giving the fans what they so greatly deserve, which is the ultimate HD version of an Asian classic film. Since the big companies fail to get it right with their releases, you can always count on the fans to put something together the way it should have been done to begin with.

:thumbsup

I'd have to echo SMK's comments if any forum members aren't too familiar with Hong Kong Rescue. They go to extreme lengths to ensure these films are presented in the best way possible, using the best audio/video materials made available. The subtitles are noticeably well done too.

The projects I've seen, have easily been indicative of the time and effort put in.

Yeah these look great. Are the disc multi-region?

I don't see mention anywhere regarding the region of the disc, so I'm assuming they are Region-All.

Archived